#1 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

What is your opinion on how PJ chose to portray the Iron Hills dwarves in BotFA? I find them to be very (too) similar to the Erebor dwarves, and the almost identical design of the heavy armor they wear seems pretty redundant imo. Especially with the equally heavy armored orcs in this movie which makes it all look so medieval  :evilthinkin: One could imagine that the Iron Hills under Dain's rule, would be a fairly separate culture from Erebor. That's how I wanted to portray them in SEE anyways, but now I have to rethink that somewhat...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:16 AM

I liked the armor, if you really look into it it's pretty different from Erebor's set

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#3 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Look at the Art & Design books. If you're unhappy with PJ's exact design these might come in handy. =D

http://wetaworkshop....ve-armies-2014/

Hobbit-3-Design-WEPFeb-2015-019.jpg

Hobbit-3-Design-COSFeb-2015-011.jpg

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 24 March 2015 - 02:37 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

The bottom part is Dain's helmet, and the upper is the armor of an Iron Hills soldier, right? How is that very different from Erebor?  :whatoa:

b0050805_549e743e57bda.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:29 AM

Okay - a little different. =p

Those were the only available ones I found on the WETA website. Let me run through my book. =p

Pages 138-139 of Bof5A Art & Design are perfect if you want alternative designs. Some are like a mini Dain's helmet, others are more similar to the Erebor design but more ornamental, others use a more rounded design.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 24 March 2015 - 03:35 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#6 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

I dont necessarily mind the similarities, erebor and the Iron hills were close enough to have traded and shared armour technology.Banners would be a really cool way to differentiate the types on the battle field if you feel like the armor is too similar.

#7 Dark Lord

Dark Lord

title available

• Project Team
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:15 AM

In my humble opinion is not that the idea of all that is medieval times? I love to medieval times, and the integration of all in the Hobbit

The Armor of the Iron Hills has subtle differences, although they are of the same houses of Durin, with sane with dwarf trade are very close to sharing technologies in weapons and armor

The beauty of armor, beautiful details you notice the subtle differences

Erebor

erebor_soldier2.jpg
Erebor_Heavy.jpg

erebor_soldier1.jpg

Balin_Heavy_Regal_Armor_Details.png

Balin_Regal_Mithril_Heavy_Armour0.png

Dwalin_Heavy_Regal_Armor_-_Front_Back.pn

erebor_king1.jpg

Iron Hills

Dain_Heavy_Regal_Armour_and_Casual_Light

Lord_Dain_Concept_Art_2.png

Lord_Dain_Concept_Art.png

Iron_Hills_Soldiers_Concept_Art.png
Iron_Hills_Captain_with_Mattock.png

Iron_Hills_Soldiers_Concept_Art1.png

#8 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

Well yeah, there you go. =D

#9 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

What is your opinion on how PJ chose to portray the Iron Hills dwarves in BotFA? I find them to be very (too) similar to the Erebor dwarves, and the almost identical design of the heavy armor they wear seems pretty redundant imo. Especially with the equally heavy armored orcs in this movie which makes it all look so medieval  :evilthinkin: One could imagine that the Iron Hills under Dain's rule, would be a fairly separate culture from Erebor. That's how I wanted to portray them in SEE anyways, but now I have to rethink that somewhat...

There was 171 years between the arrival of Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies, so I find it disappointing that they stick so closely to the Erebor design for the dwarves of the Iron Hills. Yes, they probably had close relations and traded armor and what-not, but 171 years is still plenty of time to come up with new ideas and better armor after Erebor fell. Then again, it's hard to compare to the real word, because Middle-Earth hardly has any technological advances at all over thousands of years, while in the real world you can now kill people by pressing a button on a computer. Given that dwarves live longer than 171 years, it could be argued that it's logical that they keep their armor for life, as long as it's repaired and kept in good condition. Then again, the armor is uniform for all dwarves, so they would have had to switch it all out at the same time. The economy is also quite neglected in Middle-Earth, bar some trading here and there, so I assume that all armor is owned by the state, having no problems outfitting all who serve the armies.

Though I've read little besides LotR, The Hobbit and Unfinished Tales, so I shouldn't speculate too much on the economy of ME. It does appear to be logical that the armor stays the same over 171 years though, given that the enemy's weapons doesn't improve to provide a need to upgrade for the dwarves. Still disappointed in the lack of imagination though, would've liked to see a new design :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#10 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

Lauri: WORD!  :xcahik_:  :smile2ap:

I think that I will stick to my initial plan... to keep dwarven faction an Erebor faction first and foremost (just like the "Wild" faction will be Moria based, rather than Gundabad). I really want some light infantry for dwarves to balance up the heavy Erebor soldiers, and as such, we could go with Iron Hills "skirmishers" or whatever we want to cal them. But the model would be light armored in GW style with leather, chainmails, round shields, axes and swords.

Edited by Nazgûl, 24 March 2015 - 03:26 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#11 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

Uhm why should one change it's armor anyway in 178 years? They already wear the heaviest armor available so I don't see how they should "improve" it. If it weren't for gunpowder we would probably still be wearing the same type of armour from 500 years ago.

Also why should the Iron Hills and Erebor armour be so different from each other? Western European countries in medieval times wore the same armour, with only some minor differences. Yes the Arabs or Russians had their own unique design, but that's because the cultural differences with the other countries were very big. Living in steppes or deserts had their influences too, but both Dwarven counties lived under the same conditions and they share a similiar culture.

In other words you guys are too spoiled with all those awesome designs from weta that similarities are not welcome anymore :p.

#12 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

I pretty much already agreed what you said already, but armor can always be improved. The problem is that orcs don't appear to give a shit about how crap their weapons are, so the dwarves don't really need to improve their armor, but there's always room for improvement. They could try something lighter, but with more maneuverability. Or whatever they wanted. Oh, and there's no such thing as "heavier is better".

The thing that really disappoints me about the arms and armor of LotR\Hobbit, is that everyone (bar Rohan, and the forces of Evil [bar Rhûn, Isengard Uruks and Gundabad Orcs]) have really uniform armies. Prior to the Siege of Minas Tirith, Gondor got reinforcements to the city from the Southern Fiefdoms. They all had some descriptive details on gear, and the same applies for the men who arrived with Aragorn up the river. In the film? All wearing plate armor.

Because this is for a mod, is it really too much to ask that you'd be able to differentiate these special Dwarves of the Iron Hills? Instead of having to zoom up and say "Oh look, it's got a dwarven face on the shoulder".

You can spot the difference between the elves of Rivendell, Lorien and Mirkwood easily enough, but the dwarves of the Iron Hills and Erebor are, at least seen far away, "identical".

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#13 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

Because this is for a mod, is it really too much to ask that you'd be able to differentiate these special Dwarves of the Iron Hills? Instead of having to zoom up and say "Oh look, it's got a dwarven face on the shoulder".

You can spot the difference between the elves of Rivendell, Lorien and Mirkwood easily enough, but the dwarves of the Iron Hills and Erebor are, at least seen far away, "identical".

That's the problem I'm facing, and as such, I think the best way to go is to focus on Erebor and have Iron Hills as a "mini faction" with only one horde, and that being light armored guys that we are free to design any way we see fit, as they are not in the movie.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#14 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:52 PM

Sounds like fun. =D

#15 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

Banners. use banners to differentiate them. I never really liked banners to signify rank 2.

#16 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

Dain will naturally be in SEE, featured like in the movie. But for the warriors, I will much like before BotFA, aim for something like this... (to differentiate them from Erebor, both in looks and gameplay)-

Round helmets and shields, swords and axes. Light infantry. There is not much fun and variety if the dwarven faction will consist of super heavy armored dudes all over.

99121465004_DwarfWarriorsNEW02.jpg

Edited by Nazgûl, 25 March 2015 - 11:58 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#17 GhostOfDurin

GhostOfDurin
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:14 AM

Actually, you could make that a starter unit for both factions (well, maybe similar, I wouldn't have the EXACT same starter unit) and have the heavy armoured units be elite units that come in late game.

(Sorry if I have made any errors in describing the way you could make it for your mod gameplay-wise, I haven't looked into SEE all that much yet)

#18 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:45 AM

I recommend a few more details and design features. Those GW Dwarves do look a bit simple and generic.

Details like:

• the boar themed helmet crest (to tie them into the Iron Hills theme)
  • and a pattern on the shield
  • and match their armour to the colour used for Dain's armour for visual consistancy =D

I think they will be good for a light infantry, or as 'light' as you're going to get Dwarves. =p

#19 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

Yeah... I was really hoping that I wouldn't need to much more modeling for these two factions of the first realease, but I guess I have to rethink that... Unless I can somehow get help from someone, like Val that made the Erebor dwarves. But we have a slight diffrent apporach to design (he's way better at keeping low poly as well) so I fear that if I model these guys myself, they will differ too much from his, or whoever might model them. Dilemma...

As for the mod and gameplay issues, we relaly need early game "light" infantry of some sort as the heavy armored Erebor soldiers will be both the main spearmen and sword/axemen units.

Edited by Nazgûl, 26 March 2015 - 03:18 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#20 GhostOfDurin

GhostOfDurin
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

99121465006_WarriorsErebor01.jpg

Could do something like these for Erebor as a early game, as for the Iron Hills:

99801465002_DwarfIronGuardNEW01.jpg

There's your early game Iron Hills unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users