• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

Hello, for a long time i've been wondering about this and i was wondering if anyone here knows about this, i have seen lots of screenshots of commandos bel where the hud is completely different, anyways heres some screenshots and a video with lots of clips of the game with this interface so you know what i am talking about, obvious difference is the hud, but theres also things in the map that arent there in the final version, or things not added yet, let me know if you know anything about these versions and if theres any way to get it

97c032f94d8154c8bfc4bda6b1b8d0c4.png

Commandos-behind-enemy-4.jpg

b9787cea1bc65ad892f9860726cb977e.png

commandos-behind-enemy-lines-pc-windows-

7f7f5c88c58f902104aa53fc507b807c.png

4cb207341d6b6059af6c5391d259e7ec.png

Tons more can be found here:

https://picasaweb.go...flashslideshow#

Edited by robb, 15 May 2015 - 01:42 AM.

#2 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

After extracting global.wad there seems to be a few things of this interface still in the files, such as the flask with the health bar inside it, and there seems to be a crap load of unused sounds

#3 herbert3000

herbert3000

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

• Division Admins
  • 593 posts
  • Division:Commandos HQ
  • Job:Division Admin

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

Hi, this video also shows some clips of an early version of the game:

#4 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for this, do you know if any of these early versions was ever released or leaked to the public? I'd love to play around on an early version of bel like there is one of commandos 2

#5 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts
  • Projects:Commandos BEL är bara smörja.

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Seeing how ugly GBs face is and how much better a simple red health bar is than a flask I say we not missing a whole lot. Also the INFOCARAS section so to speak is accessed by first clicking on an ammunition pouch. Too dificil, just have them on top of the screen.

In the fourth picture is a stopwatch I think, maybe it's for timed explosives? That would have been useful especially if the timer can be set as in Desperados.

#6 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

I agree, also the spy looks ugly too, I am glad they changed him, I'm more interested in how the missions looked at that stage rather than the interface as there seems to be a lot of differences, for example a panzer on mission 11 etc, the different interface is a nice though also, like on the early commandos 2 screenshots on the back on my old case that also uses a different interface to the final. I am guessing that ferdinand zeppelin guy who owns the commandos bel modding site has a copy of that version because he is the one who uploaded those pics, and there's other screenshots he has on his site that have the "beta" commandos characters incorporated into the final hud

#7 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

This Ferdinand Zeppelin, pity he doesn't seem to be on this forum.

#8 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

I have sent him an email, hope he replies :p

#9 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

I've found a few things different in the demo of commandos: behind enemy lines aswell

There are briefing songs that wasn't used in the final version, and reverse engineering shows as mission 4, and in the misc folder you can see the level numbers are in a completely different order, or maybe that was just the order they created the maps in? i dont know, and the noisy mother nature option actually works because you hear birds in the background, unlike in the final where it was completely silent, however the demo linked on the commandoshq site seems to be modified and has all this removed or it's a newer version or something, but from another site all this was in it.

Edited by robb, 16 May 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#10 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

Reverse Engineering is mission 4, also in the game.

So which is the "good" demo version? What is it's size (in KBs please)? And a download link would be nice.

#11 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

No in the full game it is Mission 3 :p

I got mine from here, that is a self extracting zip exe file that is 24.4 MB, not sure in KBs, it only shows MBs and Bs:

https://archive.org/...dEnemyLinesDemo

The one on commandoshq has files dated newer,

The one I linked the wargame.dir and commandos.exe is dated 06/05/1998

Edited by robb, 16 May 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#12 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

O yes Restore Pride I was thinking of, I can at least correct myself without having to look it up.

That's the normal demo I know. Not some butchered version. There's a commandos_singleplayer_demo.exe of 14,1 MB. Can't remember ever installing it.

Edited by Imp, 16 May 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#13 herbert3000

herbert3000

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

• Division Admins
  • 593 posts
  • Division:Commandos HQ
  • Job:Division Admin

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

This Ferdinand Zeppelin, pity he doesn't seem to be on this forum.

Actually he is on this forum, here he's known under the name of herbert3000 :D
I didn't take any screenshots of the beta version myself, I downloaded the pics years ago from multiple websites that probably don't exist anymore.

PS: On YouTube I use the name 0227240582

#14 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

Actually he is on this forum, here he's known under the name of herbert3000

Obviously I didn't want to tell in case you wouldn't like it.

Edited by Imp, 16 May 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#15 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

My mistake haha, I thought it was someone else, and that's a shame, I take it the only people who would be likely to still have it are pyro themselves, and maybe some reviewers who got a review copy, I guess the only way to ever get one is to ask pyro, like ID did with there fps games

#16 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

... and the noisy mother nature option actually works because you hear birds in the background, ...

I've walked around a bit in both missions of the 24,4 MB demo but can't hear any bird sounds or anything else backgroundish. The menu items under Game Preferences can't be changed is that right? verbose never becomes laconic in my game. (space bar to select I think in the final game)

#17 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

Try running it with windows 95 compatibility, if not it will load some of the files for the version you have in your registry, and the sounds only happen on the first mission

Edited by robb, 16 May 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#18 Salvadorc17

Salvadorc17

title available

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • Projects:Destination Norway

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

Beta version also allow for in game mission editing???

#19 SirRH

SirRH

title available

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

Not sure as these are only screenshots, don't think anyone has this version, but the chinese version in my other thread has a few more debug options than the eu/us versions, although not sure if it has any ingame editing or not

Edited by robb, 31 May 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#20 Salvadorc17

Salvadorc17

title available

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • Projects:Destination Norway

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

Which extra debug options?? you should try for it to know if there is some kind of ingame editing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users