209 replies to this topic

#141 King Dain II Ironfoot

King Dain II Ironfoot

King Under the Mountain of Erebor

• Project Team
  • 193 posts
  • Projects:THL

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

I see!Well either way you are doing and excellent work! :)

I will not stand down before any Elf not least this faithless Woodland Sprite,he wishes nothing but ill upon my people....Ya think I give a dead dog about your treats  you Pointy Ear Princess...          WklE62A.png

You hear that lads..we're on...let's give these bastards a good hammering...Tanar Durin nur!!....

#142 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

Mother of G... This was a BEAST to topologize. I know it's a poly monster. The body alone is 2400 polys now, but I found it really hard to demolish all them details. It's one single unit though, so it will be ok in game. For the soldiers, I have to seriously cut back on the poly count in comparison to this one. But he is the king of the dwarven faction and I spent a lot of time on details, so I really want them in :p

UV mapping next...

Dain_Topo2.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#143 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

Horray... all meshes are now topologized to low res and UV mapped. 5700 polys in total.  :thumbsupcool:

This model is definitely the new pinnacle of all my models, even tougher than Bolg to make  :whatoa:

Weapons are next...

Dain_Done.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#144 King Dain II Ironfoot

King Dain II Ironfoot

• Project Team
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

U outdone yourself!I simply can't think of any words to describe how awesome and cool is this!I even think the EPIC is not enough I am in love with this Model it is absolutely perfect on every Level possible!!! Congratulations and my repsects it seem your hard work is paying off big time! :) (Even with Shoulder Pads Visible :D :D :D :p )

P.S. Will we be able to play him withou the Helmet!? :)

Edited by King Dain II Ironfoot, 20 June 2015 - 02:01 PM.

I will not stand down before any Elf not least this faithless Woodland Sprite,he wishes nothing but ill upon my people....Ya think I give a dead dog about your treats  you Pointy Ear Princess...          WklE62A.png

You hear that lads..we're on...let's give these bastards a good hammering...Tanar Durin nur!!....

#145 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

The pads are not visible. Only the lether bands. Yeah, the idea is that you'll recruit him without helmet and cape, using the hammer. Then you'll be able to "buy" the "Coronation of King Dáin" power that upgrades him with Leadership to all dwarves and he'll wear the helmet and the cape, while switching to the red axe from the lore, or the other way around with the weapons since the hammer (with Gloin anims) has a really cool Earth Shaker power.... We'll see.

Now I need to work on thse weapons, even though I'm sick of this model now. Will probably do the Ogres after this one to get a break from dwarven details  :flameblast:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#146 King Dain II Ironfoot

King Dain II Ironfoot

• Project Team
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

Awesome news!!I really can't wait to play it!! I love both Hammer and the Red Axe so I am looking forward to seeing them :) 

And too bad I was really waiting to see your Iron Hills and Erebor Soldiers,but hey all in a good time :) 

#147 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:21 PM

This was faster that I expected  :themenace:

Royal Axe modeled, topologized, projection painted, UV mapped and textured  :thumbsupcool:

"Only" the giant ass hammer left...

Dain_Done_Axe.jpgDain_Done_Axe2.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#148 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:46 PM

Looks good. But I have a suggestion. Can you make the smooth blade portion of the axe a steel color instead of red? I thought it looked better in the design book.

#149 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:17 PM

Yeah I now, you're refering to this image...

I used this one, which is more common. But I sort of agree. It's an easy fox on the texture though.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#150 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

I prefer the wholly red version, myself. It fits with the background story they wrote for it, being made of a certain kind of stone instead of metal.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#151 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:58 PM

Well, there you go :p Red it is.

I just hope Valheru will be able to rig this crown jewel of mine, without any major problems. I did make sure though that the model fits vanilla Dain proportions, so we'll see how well it rigs to Gloin SKL (for the hammer).

Edited by Nazgûl, 20 June 2015 - 11:59 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#152 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:57 AM

Lol OK you win. It looks shit to me and totally unbelievable, but I lack imagination. Tis the last I will speak of it.

#153 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:16 AM

Well...

...It fits with the background story they wrote for it, being made of a certain kind of stone instead of metal.

Stone, not metal. So, if the story says it was made of stone, and the red color is most likely the color of the stone, then the blade should be stone as well I presume, and not metal. ;)

Progress on the hammer is good and again, much faster than I though which is a huge releif after struggling with all them friggin details of Dain's armor.

Edited by Nazgûl, 21 June 2015 - 01:17 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#154 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:37 AM

My ancient ancestors, the Aztecs used stone blades (the Macuahuitl). Wikipedia

The stone Dwarven weaponry, designed by WETA, seems inspired by New Zealand native Maori weaponry like the Mere. Wikipedia

While I do not know much about the usefulness of a stone weapon, I believe that the worst problem of this material is that stone shatters on impact, however this can be overcome with careful design and crafting.

I enjoy both designs, metal or stone blade. Metal is more traditionally deadly, however stone is seen as exotic.

In the legendarium, Dain II Ironfoot had a red axe during the Battle of Azanulbizar when it was he that killed Azog. You can find more information in the Thain's Book. That is all it says, just the colour of the axe and as WETA points out, they took it literally in their design.

The model is amazing! I love how the stone texture looks. =D

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#155 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

That was interesting, thanks =)

If we decide to alter the coloring, it's an easy fix in the texture. I agree with NJM that it looks more "natural" with metal blades, but it seems that most interpretations are that the axe was all red. We could vote on the matter :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#156 King Dain II Ironfoot

King Dain II Ironfoot

• Project Team
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

Personally I am fine with both versions! :)

#157 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

Progress on the warhammer. Basic shape done. Shaft next...

Dain_Hammer1.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#158 King Dain II Ironfoot

King Dain II Ironfoot

• Project Team
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

Looking nice as always!can't wait to see it complete ! :)

#159 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

Warhammer model done! Painting next :p

Dain_Hammer2.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#160 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Hammer is looking good boss. My comments about the axe weren't meant to start a controversy. I'm aware of its history and so forth. It just doesn't look natural... but maybe that is the point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users