Photo

Please terminate my hosting in the next week

Best Answer Nighthawk, 07 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

I decided to give it an extra few days grace... just in case.

Your hosting has now been terminated.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, your hosting application being accepted was entirely on your work's own merits and potential, and had nothing to do with any MO relation or Ares stuff. I don't do nepotism.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:05 PM

This was a hard decision but something I felt I had to do.

I don't know which of you is the appropriate one but whichever of you is, please suspend the hosting of the Supérior Facilities/Attacque Supérior/however it's referred among you and almost everything along with it.

For a long while now, I felt my hosting being a burden. I mean, I was slow in terms reaching progress, usually ending up with no visible activity, and technically my biggest role in Revora's life was a leak-prevention system for MO instead of being a standalone hosted account itself.

It also doesn't help that I was pretty much out of the loop. Since there's no clean administration at C&CGuild neither am I following what's happening at 3rdAge, I can never really know whom to turn to - I do know Banshee is among the few, but I also know he has enough issues to solve on his own already.

I can clearly see Revora found it's future with BFME Online and C&C Online, and I can see that the aim is to keep that up. However, I also see that while these projects rejuvenated the community, they have little to no effect upon the visitorlist of the Guild.

In fact, the whole thing of running C&C Online separated from the Guild felt alien to me, but you probably had your reasons to make it so. I'd even guess the above is among them.

There's also that one support(?) board which seemingly being visible to many Guildees while I'm unaware of - Mathijs mentioned such a board once.

So yea, to put it bluntly, I felt my hosting offbeat since C&C Online opened because a YR mod and a SAGE online service was clearly far away from each other.

On the other hand... I'm not modding YR anymore.

Now that I'm doing an engine change, I feel I took a step which I don't see fitting, something I feel as going against the flow. I was already the odd one out with the acute in the mod's name breaking the Revora bar upon various pages, which would have led probably to the worst site in the whole network.

I don't want to step into your way. I have realized that what I represent is out of your scope and I think the engine change I'm doing is a great opportunity both for me to move out, leave the disturbing thoughts of all the above as well as the network to free the resources I was hosted for the projects you truly dedicate yourself into.

All I ask is to give me a week to archive the posts I'll need from the forum (mostly the Operation Complex). I've already backed up the site itself, you can burn that now.

Don't misunderstand me, I can't stress how grateful I am for these close 5 years - I just see that my project still came too late to the hosted party. It always disturbed me that I got hosted in a time when the TS/RA2 community here was already dwindling without a chance to recover. Maybe if I've reached the level where I am now 3 years before I picked it up seriously, I wouldn't feel myself such an oddball in these seas.

But I do and I cannot really help in that.

Yours sincerely,
Zimmermann Gyula
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#2 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  •  Parce mihi, Domine, quia Dalmata sum.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

So yea, to put it bluntly, I felt my hosting offbeat since C&C Online opened because a YR mod and a SAGE online service was clearly far away from each other.
(...)
I don't want to step into your way. I have realized that what I represent is out of your scope and I think the engine change I'm doing is a great opportunity both for me to move out, leave the disturbing thoughts of all the above as well as the network to free the resources I was hosted for the projects you truly dedicate yourself into.

Duuuuuuuuuuuude... why??? Why would you call off hosting for a YR mod for such a reason? The fact that SAGE is all the rage (pardon the pun) on these forums nowadays doesn't mean TS/RA2 are meaningless. I may not be in the Revora staff, but I'm sure that if Revora didn't want anything except SAGE-powered games anymore, all else would've been purged a year ago :p

(...)I got hosted in a time when the TS/RA2 community here was already dwindling without a chance to recover.

Um.... so? That doesn't mean even more people should leave it. You love YR - whether there's 50 or 500000000 people playing it shouldn't affect that. There's still enough people around to make YR modding worthwhile - just look at PPM! Look at MO!

Administrator of CNCNZ.com and EVA Database, the C&C Wiki

You are also welcome to make use of my archives of official files:

C&C File Archive | BFME File Archive | Dune File Archive

#3 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

It's not a YR mod anymore. It's OpenRA since last week tbh.

Also emphatize "here".

Edited by Graion Dilach, 26 May 2015 - 05:39 PM.

kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

#4 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

Yeah honestly TS/RA2/YR modding hasn't really taken place on Revora for many, many years. Unfortunately it's mostly just been one or two truly active mods but the actual modding discussion is all at PPM. I myself feel like I'm mostly here for old times sake, but I mostly use the mod's Facebook page for updates and IRC/PPM for the modding stuff. I don't think there'd be any responses here except the odd courtesy reply from the oldies.

I don't know what can particularly be done about it as all the previous efforts to revive the Guild have just not gone anywhere. The best 'recent' effort was when Gen Kenobi managed to get all the active members and discuss what could be done, but then he disappeared.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,946 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

I can understand your reasons for leaving. I guess all I can say is thank you for the support you've put in over the past few years, both here and elsewhere. You have done a fair amount to fight the inevitable tide of inactivity amid a dwindling community here.

I'll terminate everything next Friday (5th June) - that'll give you over a week to make whatever backups and things you wish. Should you need longer, let me know.

Hope everything goes well with your new project. :)

~Nighthawk.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#6 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:50 AM

Thank you, that shall be enough. :)
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

#7 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

If your main issue is that your mod is moving to OpenRA, you don't really need to leave CnC Guild because of that. OpenRA is considered part of 'all things Command & Conquer' that is in the CnC Guild forums.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#8 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

That's not the main issue (tho the lack of visible OpenRA stuff goes here did played a part). One of the main issue of mine is that the C&C modding here is dwindling. PPM became the sole active pre-SAGE C&C modding community. All the others are dead (Cannis, RADEN) or reborn (Revora into CnC Online, CnC-Comm into CnCNet, SleipnirStuff slowly to OpenRA)... and I don't really want to mess with the status quo of the Guild, asking for something I don't even know.

When it comes to Guild activity, you have MO and Contra. End of story. CnC Online is entirely separated from the Guild as well - on the main section, not like how BFME Online is under 3rdAge. That move does imply to me the Guild is getting deprecated - which since the Guild did the least for Online, I can even agree to.

The other main issue of mine - something which I could never really forget - is that the account was promoted two levels (one certainly) for the time it was running as MO beta backup. Whatever I'd do, every time I look at CPanel/log in via FTP, it acted as a reminder of that fact. It just feels odd, especially after the times have changed since.

Looking back, I'm not even certain what was the main reason I got accepted in the first place because I was certainly far away from quality work five years ago. I want to avoid all the implications that AS was accepted due to relations of MO. Or Ares - since when I popped up, Ares was the place everyone knew(?) me from.

I do know it got downgraded since, but I just can't forget that. You sure know it by now, Banshee, that I'm quite an emotional guy.

If there would have been other fresh blood for the Guild since I got hosted (only Sail 7 Seas is what I remember being younger and S7S is really far away from me), something I can relate to, then I'd probably shum all these feelings away.... but there isn't.

I can see why this feels odd - but I just don't feel I'd start bugging the crew about OpenRA after all the above. I can't really say more because - I really don't want anyone feeling bad about this.

I don't feel at home here, sorry. I know you're nice and all that... I just can't explain better at all without any unintentional badmouthing seen in my words - something I really wish to avoid. Now excuse me, but I go and cry myself out.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

#9 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:25 PM

Okay, I cried myself out.

I also have written another essay which is how I wish to PR my decision to the outside: https://www.facebook...961506197235005

Really, I don't want to cause you trouble nor any badmouthing. Which that post might even sound as one. Really sorry bout that, but even if I am completely honest... I am doing this because I always felt being too much of an outsider.

I easily fell apart when I'm frustrated. This might be one, but then, if anything I could ask to feel myself better... to trust me I'm doing it for the best and with a good intention.

Believe me, this decision was really hard to make. I can't stop wobbling while I wrote this post.

I'm really grateful for all the possibilities you gave me. I still have strong doubts... but it all comes down to that something in me isn't satisfied and I don't know what it is.

I'm just.... an idiot maybe. In any way, if you can trust in this idiot then accept his reasons. Because he really wishes everyone the best.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

#10 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

I hope you change your mind before the week is up, as I believe you have the right talents to fix the issues of the Guild with your input and ability.  But I guess if you don't change your mind, you can always stick around and use that wondrous, and possibly delicious brain of yours for other mischievous deeds around here.  That could always renew your spirits.

#11 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:45 AM

One of the main issue of mine is that the C&C modding here is dwindling.

If you leave it, you'll just help to intensify this tendency.

And regarding C&C: Online being separate from CnC Guild... well, it attracts a different kind of public than modders from CnC Guild. These online services (C&C Online and T3A Online) need to be slightly more popular before it starts bringing activity for the modding projects. Once it becomes easier to organize a popular tournament in these places, we can try to organize tournaments for mods like Contra and the ones hosted at T3A. C&C: Online won't cover pre-SAGE games, since the engines are completely different. So, for these games, we support CnCNet. OpenRA has its own online server. There is no need to compete with these services at all.

Anyway, I'm with Pasidon here. I hope you change your mind. I think you are underestimating the quality of AS and how Revora can be an interesting platform once you have something interesting that is playable for the public, even if it is made for OpenRA. Good luck anyway.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#12 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,946 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:45 PM   Best Answer

I decided to give it an extra few days grace... just in case.

Your hosting has now been terminated.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, your hosting application being accepted was entirely on your work's own merits and potential, and had nothing to do with any MO relation or Ares stuff. I don't do nepotism.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#13 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  •  Parce mihi, Domine, quia Dalmata sum.

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Administrator of CNCNZ.com and EVA Database, the C&C Wiki

You are also welcome to make use of my archives of official files:

C&C File Archive | BFME File Archive | Dune File Archive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users