Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

Just a thought...

Should I replace the vanilla Hill Troll with these ogre or half trolls from BotFA?
What do you think?

HobbitBFATrailer2o1.jpg

HobbitBFATrailer2v.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Maximan

Maximan

Some Dude

• Hosted
  • 572 posts
  • Projects:BFME: Classic Edition

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

I'd say no because the one in-game looks a lot cooler, i'd probably crack myself up seeing that one from the film as an enemy :p 

that's just my opinion :p

#3 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:Luckily AotR Mapping

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

Although the current hill troll model isn't much to look at, I still prefer it to that hideous thing from BOTFA. When I first saw it on screen I couldn't believe I was supposed to take it seriously, it has a scary resemblance to my uncle.

#4 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

I really like these ogres, actually I like all the kind of trolls from BOTFA :p, and I think that with Nazgûl's modelling skills these ogres can become a great addition to SEE DC :)

#5 Maximan

Maximan

Some Dude

• Hosted
  • 572 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:42 PM

Sorry

Spoiler

#6 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

I say change them. You're going for a movie style, so the new guys would fit, while the vanilla ones look silly. I really want to see these badasses though, because they are wicked!

Either way, non of them used the weapons the Hill Trolls use, so there's that to take into account as well.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#7 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

^^I also like the trolls Lauri mentioned, I'd say choose between these two to decide which one to include :)

#8 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

I agree with Lauri, and of course having the battering ram trolls too, but the main thing is to get shot of those troll hordes. Ugh, they're an abomination of a choice by EA, to have trolls as part of a group, not least that they look quite the opposite of threatening.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#9 HaldirOfLorien

HaldirOfLorien
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

Agreed with Lauri. The vanilla trolls are ugly, and the ogres are in the movie, so I'd change them. In the end SEE is a movie mod right ;)

#10 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for input guys.

Modeling these would be rather easy, compared to other models. However, rigging them might pose a problem as to what skeleton they should be adapted to. I do NOT like the vanilla Hill Troll from RotWK, and I seriously loathe the stupid looking sledge hammers they carry. The only reason I added those was to fill out the roster of the Troll Cave (where also Spider Venom is manufactured btw). I needed an early game troll model. And also that they are the ones pushing the Troll Sling. I'm not too happy with the giant baby handicap design of the Ogres in BotFA, but then again... that's how they look now, and this is a movie mod, so. I do prefer those ugly weirdos before the vanilla models anyways, even though we had them rigged to the regular troll SKL which gave them better anims. The model is not that unique though, and is basically just a smaller cheaper alternative to the Cave Troll that use the same anims. If I model these guys and Valheru riggs them to a fitting skeleton, they should look, act and feel more unique as a troll alternative. So yeah, I'll go for it :p

About the other trolls in BotFA:

The Siege Trolls (if we call them that) looks like they could be "regular" Attack Trolls, but in heavier armor. I think adding these would tip the faction over towards being over powered (even though they mysteriously fell like timber when the dwarves was "rallying" at the end of the movie). Misty Mountains already have the most powerful orcs and wargs, combined with high speed moving masses of goblins. They have the strongest orc heroes in the history of Middle Earth; Azog and Bolg. They have Cave Trolls and access to gigantic and practically invulnerable Stone Giants as well as being able to summon the mighty demon Balrog. Adding these beer belly Ogres won't tip the balance, but those massive Siege Trolls might. Especially if we look at the enormous head butting "ram-troll" and the super weird looking semi fat giant prosthetic troll...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#11 Maximan

Maximan

Some Dude

• Hosted
  • 572 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

I mean you could toy around with the model design, just an idea: make them more muscular and more straighten back up, and less handicap baby look, and maybe mix around with the troll armor lauri sent. It could end up with a cool look imo. And on that you could perhaps modify the hammer also to fit the original anims. Just some ideas :p(for the hill trolls)

#12 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:23 PM

The original anims for the Hill Trolls suck ;) That's why we went for the cave troll anims.

I think the disabled look of these guys might refer to them being half trolls... perhaps. Some kind of sick cross between human and troll.

Edited by Nazgûl, 03 June 2015 - 11:24 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#13 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:36 AM

If you really want to create them they can always be welcome on a map. =D

However, you have a chance to replace the green troll with something from the movie, so if you are up for it then change it to the ogre/half troll.

For the Siege Troll (If you really want to model it), how about using it to replace the Mountain Giant on the fortress upgrades, Mountain Giants are out of place on a fortress and I believe that the armoured troll would look good as the ranged siege-damage expansion of the Misty Mountain fortress.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#14 Stokstaartje95

Stokstaartje95
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

These ogres/half trolls could be cool as a Hill troll kind of unit. They would suck as a single unit like cave trolls/attack trolls. I would say go on :) That makes the Battle of the Five armies (Peter Jackson's version, which you are aiming for) even more real in BFME.

#15 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

See, that's the problem I have. Trolls, ogres, giants and the like I feel are diminished as characters if you make them batch built. I mean, these things are supposed to be rabid high-power death machines than can take a lot of hits, and if you shove them all together as a battalion it doesn't represent that aspect as much.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#16 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, I think they will be single units... and we could think of something special for them, in terms of abilities.
Regarding Siege Trolls as fortress upgrades... I have a smaller version of the Stone Giants placed there. Try it MTL ;)

New topic for Ogres HERE.

Edited by Nazgûl, 11 July 2015 - 11:45 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#17 GhostOfDurin

GhostOfDurin
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:20 AM

I don't know if anyone's said this, but you could randomize the look of the regular trolls between a couple that we see on the battlefield. Also I think someone said this, but I'd like to see the catapult-troll things (what are they called?) as a fortress expansion.

#18 The_Spin

The_Spin
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

I have a bunch of ideas !!! First, since the Stone Giants never were on someones side, it would be better to make them a powerful summon. I think it would be easier to reskin and use the Troll Trebuchet from Angmar, than make the one from BotFA. Ram Troll is useless, since its a Cave Troll with a boulder that bumps on a wall and then is K.O. :p . So you could probably have Cave Trolls and Battle Trolls (Like Mordor has Mountain\Drummer\Attack Trolls). Well, if you keep the Goblin Drummer you don't need a Troll for this. About the Ogres, you can either make it single unit using as base the Attack Troll, cheaper, about man-size and debuffed. Ogres also could be a mini-Horde (e.g. a trio of Ogres) like above or using the Thrall Master attack animation (I think this could fit).
Last you could make them a horde like the Fat Orc, but I think this is a bit dumn ...

As for the Hill Trolls and Half Trolls, maybe I have a place for them ;)
Contact me if you're interested about that

#19 Maximan

Maximan

Some Dude

• Hosted
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

Olog-Hai Catapults

Basic: I think that if the Olog-Hai catapults from the movie were to be used, it should be on the battlefield. I don't see it as a fortress upgrade or wall upgrade, assuming they are olog-hai due to their scale and eye color, it would be a waste of a Olog-Hai just have him fiddle around on the wall, instead of helping on the field.

Abilities: I could also see a "deploy" function, he could stand up and hit nearby melee units, or you could click on the "deploy" upgrade, pretty sure I am using the wrong word here, but whatever, and he will go down in the position from the movies, and ready to shoot at structures. And of course, click on it again and he will stand up, and hit melee units ect.

Edited by Maximan, 14 July 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#20 The_Spin

The_Spin
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

Lol, is there any way to use the Troll porter as the Catapult ? This might work. Sure it could be movable and as Maximan said, with a deploy ability maybe it can work as a tower expansion !!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users