I just rememer Jormungand and Ghost in The Shell

8gxY9XM.jpg

#1662 X1Destroy

X1Destroy

title available

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:06 AM

I was thinking, why don't we just have special missions that act as cut-scenes after the player beat the regular ones?

The ones where the player do nothing. Absolutely nothing except for said, control a raven or any neutral object that won't die, can't attack or be targeted by any one on the map to move and explore the unfolding events. Seeing the battle of Antarctica from a neutral perspective would be sweet.

This will also be great for people who couldn't beat missions like Singularity as they can still get the story by watching the after events in said missions.

Edited by X1Destroy, 18 January 2017 - 02:11 AM.

"Protecting the land of the Free."
efXH1rz.png

#1663 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:44 AM

I know Anime is cool and all but I don't think it will be able to capture MO's plot seriousness well.

(videos)
If it looks like this instead of how the current ones, that won't be an issue at all.

Yeah, it all depends on the quality. I thought of something like this style. Making stuff with this quality would take years tho, so it's probably never gonna happen. I was just daydreaming. (videos)

Well, yea. Good point and also good point

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#1664 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:54 AM

I was thinking, why don't we just have special missions that act as cut-scenes after the player beat the regular ones?

The ones where the player do nothing. Absolutely nothing except for said, control a raven or any neutral object that won't die, can't attack or be targeted by any one on the map to move and explore the unfolding events. Seeing the battle of Antarctica from a neutral perspective would be sweet.

This will also be great for people who couldn't beat missions like Singularity as they can still get the story by watching the after events in said missions.

Reminds me of some method Call of Duty uses. That would be cool, but *might* be time consuming, with the scripts involved

And also needs a press of button to simply skip the cutscene

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#1665 aethiraes

aethiraes
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

I know Anime is cool and all but I don't think it will be able to capture MO's plot seriousness well.

Um, excuse me.

NEVER DOUBT A RACCOON.

#1666 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:59 AM

The plot, not units individual quotes. Archon AMC is even more hilarious imo

"Bring me wine.... o I mean, Yes Sir!"

Edited by Handepsilon, 18 January 2017 - 05:00 AM.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#1667 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

So, like The Raven? :V

But I don't know, I don't really like the idea of "cutscene levels". I'd rather keep any sort of cutscenes separate from the game, with the exception of the ingame scenes, like at the end of Awake and Alive.

#1668 X1Destroy

X1Destroy

title available

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

Keeping the long cutscenes separate from the main missions will save lots of times when you somehow screw up and have to restart. You don't have to play them if you don't want to since there's the mission list.

The only problem is that this would be very time consuming. But I think it should be fine if this was done after all the main missions are finished and polished.

Edited by X1Destroy, 18 January 2017 - 06:58 AM.

"Protecting the land of the Free."
efXH1rz.png

#1669 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

My problem with cutscene levels is the fact how "subtitles" work with the game, appearing in the upper left corner, which is easy to miss and can divide attention from what is happening in the middle of the screen. I already don't like it how many story events happen "up there". On the other hand, I also don't like how some story voiceovers don't happen "up there". By that, I mean that the custom voiceacting added to the missions are so low volume, they can't be understood without subtitles... While I'd like if all other "subtitle-only" talking was also done with proper voices.

Like the two colonels in Awake and Alive, they have their own custom voices as units, why not have them actually talking during the mission as well (but still subtitled)?

I wish it was possible to add mission messages like that anywhere on the screen, so they could be proper subtitles.

But I'm going off-topic here, because this I think belongs to the Campaign Discussion thread, not the Speculation thread.

Edited by Solais, 18 January 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#1670 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

Yunru Kanegawa. Go figure. Go mental.

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega Almost Perfect Yunru's Revenge Version 3.0
  •  Why am I not in the Centurion?

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:24 AM

A workaround would be using Alpha Images and placing the 'text' on the battlefield, but many things will be to fixed (and in, controlled) for that to look presentable. One requirement would mean locking player input to disable moving the map.

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:
fbbutton.png ytbutton.png mdbutton.png dsbutton.png
IRC: #menthosogma (Rizon)

#1671 hxazgalor

hxazgalor

Rear Admiral, 17th Imperial Fleet

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Projects:MO Wikia, Fan Fiction Works on AO3, Tiberium Cruentus
  •  Writer/Thinker/Gamer

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:50 AM

I'm suddenly reminded of Warcraft III and how the campaign has a few cinematic 'missions' strewn in between levels. Time (and, to an extent, game) limitations prevented full use of rendered cutscenes. But I guess it was great in that cinematics were handled as just that, a 'video' players watch and that helps advance the plot without player participation.

Would still be cool if there was a way to implement FMVs/cutscenes in between missions like good ol' RA2/YR. Or maybe it's possible, but time and resource constraints get in the way.

...damn constraints! They ruined everything!  :glare:

I Write Stuff. Sorta.

AO3: https://archiveofour...vericklaw/works

#1672 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

I'm suddenly reminded of Warcraft III and how the campaign has a few cinematic 'missions' strewn in between levels. Time (and, to an extent, game) limitations prevented full use of rendered cutscenes. But I guess it was great in that cinematics were handled as just that, a 'video' players watch and that helps advance the plot without player participation.

Well the game doesn't prevent full rendered cutscene (unless you meant custom maps), though that would game bloat the size a lot. Each video used up almost 200 MBs, even after compressed into MPQ file

Edited by Handepsilon, 18 January 2017 - 10:20 AM.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#1673 Damfoos

Damfoos

When world domination haven't cured the emptiness inside

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Projects:Translation of various cool C&C mods.
  •  Mental Omega Russian Translator

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

FMVs or CGI videos are all nice if there are resources for it. I doubt MO team has access to live actors, mocap, professional rendering farms and a team of guys who can do high-poly models for these scenes.

You can say "but TI has CGI videos!", but only one of those has really complex animation of human characters, the scene with Eclipse ramming through GDI gates (and the upcoming GT video with Guardians). The rest is simpler, just some logos and moving mechanisms, and those don't explain the story much, they are more of an eye-candy, but even these scenes took a while to be made.

Edited by Damfoos, 18 January 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#1674 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

I could probably do some simple CGI videos as well using the 3D game engine that I work with for my job, but it would still not like proper actual CGI animations, as the game engine itself is limited to, well, running a game instead of making videos. Not to mention, I'd need both time and many model assets to work with, as I'm no modeler. I once tried to model the Epsilon logo and really failed at the scaling of parts. :V

However, judging from all the MO trailers, it seems that the MO team -might- have the ability to produce videos similar to that, when everything is explained via EVA messages and other 2D graphics. The most obvious would be for the Foehn campaign, where VOLKNET could explain some developments to the player between missions. For the other sides, maybe a new "advisor" character could be created for all three sides, using the available voice actors, and have them explain stuff while 2D images and maps and whatnot are shown. Similar to this, for instance:

https://youtu.be/bImKihXUU6A?t=3m24s

or

https://youtu.be/bImKihXUU6A?t=14m55s

However, I'm sure the MO team already got more than enough workload to do besides all this, like bugfixes, balancing, and of course the rest of the campaign.

Edited by Solais, 18 January 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#1675 Damfoos

Damfoos

When world domination haven't cured the emptiness inside

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Projects:Translation of various cool C&C mods.
  •  Mental Omega Russian Translator

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

I guess the idea of "middle man" can sorta work for Allies, Soviets and Foehn (who are those mysterious "we" who give you orders and prepare the bases anyway?), but Proselyte gets orders directly from Yuri in majority of missions, so it won't work well here.

Edited by Damfoos, 18 January 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#1676 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

You forgot the part where someone managed to make a convincing voice acting for Yuri in Golden Gate soviet mission

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#1677 Shelbythetriagularsquare

Shelbythetriagularsquare

Shelby

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

For Foehn missions have foehn dude read all the lines, for Allied missions have the abrams guy read all the lines, for soviet... I don't know really. Not for epsilon, not them either, but colossus sounds fun.

Spoiler

#1678 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

For Epsilon, have the Tyrant as your advisor, where every mission briefing would slowly turn into a presentation about his pills. Not to mention, that's a voice actor readily available. :p

#1679 Shelbythetriagularsquare

Shelbythetriagularsquare

Shelby

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

That sounds fun and interesting, I like your way of thinking ;3

Spoiler

#1680 nikitazero678

nikitazero678
  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega APYR Wiki
  •  Observer and Watcher

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

Does anyone know what music is used in the loading screen of Awake and Alive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users