Photo

Engineer diversity. A spin on Engineers.

engineer diversity

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BlackAbsence

BlackAbsence

BlargleGargle

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

Engineer diversity

Soviet Engineer, Allied Engineer, Epsilon Engineer... Kinda boring. Lets add some diversity?

Replacement for the Soviet Engineer: Mechanic.

Let me start off by saying that; the Soviets are lacking when it comes to field repair support, due to their inability to produce dedicated repair units via war factory.

You could argue, however, that their repair drones superior abilities (being amphibious, and instantly called in) compensates for this, but they're still quite easily picked off, while the other sides can easily mass produce theirs onto the field, giving them the edge over the Soviets in field repair support, hence how the Soviets are lacking in said division.

I find this unfortunate, too, due to the Soviet side being the side which emphasizes unit superiority.

So that's a problem I find with the game. Now it's time I suggest a solution to it, to even out the great balance.

I propose to you; the Mechanic. What is the Mechanic? The Mechanic is the replacement for the Soviet Engineer, which, is; in all sense still a Engineer (Still able to capture buildings, extra...), but with the added ability of slowly repairing tanks at close range. Think of them as Field Medics, but for tanks. Having a Borillo filled with these guys would most definitely come in handy for field repair support, and is a lot more producible than the repair drone... Because the repair drone isn't producible :p

Replacement for the Allied Engineer: Operator GI.

I propose to you; the Operator GI. What is the Operator GI? The Operator GI is the replacement for the Allied Engineer, which, is; in all sense still a Engineer (Still able to capture buildings, extra...), but with three Addison's:  

Addition 1: A weapon. To make up the for the Soviet Mechanics ability to repair tanks, the Operator GI is now equipped with a handy, short-ranged shotgun. This however; only provides little defence for the Operator GI, making him a very inefficient means of combat.

Addition 2: Added armour. The Operator GI wears a sturdy vest that supplies a bit more armour to deal with small arms fire, making him the strongest of the Engineer class infantry, however; The Operator GIs speed is slightly reduced due to the bulk of said gear, so it's sort of a triad-off, so to say.

Addition 3: Tent Deploy. Seeing that every GI class infantry has a deploy function, I figured that I'd give one to the Operator GI as well. On the battle field, the Operator GI can deploy into a small army tent, which can garrison up to 4 infantry. This however; only supplies a little extra armour, and can be easily overwhelmed.

As you see; as opposed to the Mechanic being unit support, the Operator GI is more infantry support.

Replacement for the Epsilon Engineer: Hacker.

I propose to you; the Hacker. What is the Hacker? Well, seeing that Epsilon is all about taking control of their enemies and using them to fight amongst themselves, hackers are nasty little infantry you should keep away from your base at all cost, for; they can turn bases against themselves. What makes the hacker so devastating is that when deployed, they can hack into any structure, be it building or defence. However; hacking takes a long time, which leaves them very open for a long time. Think about how long it takes to erase a building with a Chono Legionnaire, the duration it takes is as identical of a duration as it is to hack. The process however, can be speed up with multiple hackers hacking the same thing. 

Due to their expensive gear, they're the most expensive Engineer class infantry, being $450, making them not as efficient at straight up capturing tech-buildings, but if you can utilize their hacking ability, it's well worth it. They also take a bit more health away from buildings so it takes two (at a net value of $900) to instantly capture an enemy base-structure instead of the usual three (at a net value of $900).

Hackers (only when deployed) essentially mind control bases, so they're pretty befitting to Epsilons theme.

I know this is a lot to ask. It's just something I want to share.

Edited by BlackAbsence, 26 January 2016 - 10:55 PM.

Infinitive absence.

#2 Directive255

Directive255
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • Projects:The Directive Saga
  •  Kuchenmeister

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:53 AM

Nice idea, but the Epsilon 'hacker' idea is weird... at least to me.

cake love <3 cake love <3

#3 Jargalhurts

Jargalhurts

Mental Face

• Project Team
  • 328 posts
  • Projects:Nothing worth showing off.
  •  Actually Yngwie of House Malmsteen.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:11 AM

There's a Suggestion thread meant for stuff like this. Try to post your ideas on that thread from now on, instead of filling up the forum with your brainstorm sessions.

The ideas are cool, but try not to do this again.

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

#4 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:15 AM

It's not a problem to start separate threads for ideas.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#5 BlackAbsence

BlackAbsence

BlargleGargle

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

There's a Suggestion thread meant for stuff like this. Try to post your ideas on that thread from now on, instead of filling up the forum with your brainstorm sessions.

The ideas are cool, but try not to do this again.

Sorry. This won't happen again by me.

Edited by BlackAbsence, 27 June 2015 - 02:54 PM.

Infinitive absence.

#6 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

As I said a post above - it is not a problem. Jargalhurts doesn't make the forum rules, I do.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#7 Malekron

Malekron
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

So what is the 4th faction's engineer does?

#8 BlackAbsence

BlackAbsence

BlargleGargle

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:32 AM

So what is the 4th faction's engineer does?

I'd have to know more about the forth side before devising anything for them.

Information on them is quite unavailable at the moment.

Edited by BlackAbsence, 28 June 2015 - 12:41 AM.

Infinitive absence.

#9 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

I'm pretty sure Engineer's and weapons don't mix, throwing out nearly all your ideas. Honestly, it doesn't leave room for much. You could make one amphibious, maybe give one cloaking when stopped, and maybe mix up the movement and health stats. I do wonder what a chrono engineer would be like...

Edited by Darkstorm, 30 June 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#10 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

I do wonder what a chrono engineer would be like...

It would be exactly like putting a Chrono Legionnaire into a transport on the other side of the map. And i don't think i have to explain how does it work. :shiftee:
ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

#11 Atomic_Noodles

Atomic_Noodles

Colony Hivemind

• Project Team
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert - Colony Wars
  •  Colony Wars Hive Mind

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

For a weapon to be added you'd have to sacrifice removing their Bomb Defusing Ability.

If we're removing the ability to defuse bombs altogether it could work out. Also Weapon Targeting so its best you just make their weapons if any only able to target units and not structures.

The Hacker Idea won't work. Mind Control cannot be done that way. It can be done by using a dummy invisible projectile but that still won't give the effect as you desired. Just a delayed instant mind control as per the norm.

~ Getting cringe reactions when you see a RAINBOW means you have issues. ~

"This World is an Illussion,Exile" -High Templar Dominus

#12 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

Yunru Kanegawa. Go figure. Go mental.

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega Almost Perfect Yunru's Revenge Version 3.0
  •  Why am I not in the Centurion?

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:32 AM

Well, all of them can qualify to be new units. Mechanic is a human Repair Drone (Take that USA, we use humans as drones now!).

Hacker as like MO2.0 Emperor Tank + Charging sequence(Speeder has been experimenting with weapon charging sequences, and perhaps it can be done the same way) can be a replacement of Engineer logic by itself. Taking over a building from a (probably short) range preserves the Hacker for another round of craziness. And they can retain the limitations of one building per engineer. The building Armor and weapon logic can handle this (only whether it is worth it). Multiple engineer logic will be in ruins though.

Variations among faction engineers will be fun. As are variations of dogs. At least they are not just recolored versions and alternate voices of each other. (RA1 didn't even bother with those)

-------------
Yep, Chrono Engineers captures buildings instantly from any distance. I love using them to test my own missions. :p

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:
fbbutton.png ytbutton.png mdbutton.png dsbutton.png
IRC: #menthosogma (Rizon)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users