6 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,197 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:47 AM

If anyone could make the perfect RTS game with every unique feature from every other RTS game, that could become the perfect product. But this probably could never happen because no game engine can handle all of the functions and abilities.

Company of Heroes -- pretty much mostly what that RTS had:
1) a bottom sidebar with controls on the right side and a minimap on the left side 
2) cinematic 1st-person camera modes 
3) macromanagement 
4) building units/structures
5) promotional points used in the generals upgrade menu (for better support powers, upgrades and unit abilities, sectors areas (used as captured areas) 
6) neutral buildings to capture for extra resources or gain sector areas
7) skirmish play and tutorials
8) unit control limit in a population
9) infantry squads can hide or cover behind obstacles
10) most units can use special abilities with or without a cost
... and much, much more.

All C&C games except C&C4, C&C Sole Survivor and C&C Renegade -- micromanagement

C&C3 -- all videos menu, all intel in intelligence database menu, support powers placed on the left in columns

KW and RA3 X360 -- command stick interface with a buildable circular menu

KW X360 -- Kane's Challenge (pretty much survivor mode for ten matches)

RA3 Uprising -- Commander's Challenge (defeat all sectional areas in the world map and unlock new/better units as you play)

C&C/Red Alert/Dune 2000 -- has a game mode that only can search and destroy with no bases; plus a jukebox to play any song track you wish

Mental Omega/Grantaball/Tower Defense (mods) -- can play other game modes other than duel match or team match or free-for-all

Dune II/2000/III -- structures that can upgrade themselves to unlock other units; a sandworm or quicksand can eat and swallow a unit on the sand

Starcraft II -- interactive menus with dialogue, intelligence database and permanent upgrades and purchases for future missions; also best options of how the computer AI will handle against the human in skirmish battles

WarZone 2100 -- four things:
1) you can make any custom vehicle and build it onto the battlefield
2) long artillery and anti-air defenses can attack enemies from afar before they can attack your defenses that are way out of range
3) a commander unit can select and control some units into a group; when it attacks the enemy it sends the group with it
4) several stages of promoting a unit's veterancy

Mech Commander -- two things:
1) One turret hub controlling multiple turrets or one sensor hub controlling multiple sensor towers. One capture to a hub brings one overall control
2) You can customize any weapon or pilot to a mech unit

Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War -- five great ideas
1) playing the Hero unit in 3rd-person view that can set units to follow him/her or charge against enemies; also the hero can attack or defend manually
2) buildable squads can now have individual units inside a squad be selectable
3) a large ship can ram smaller ships and automatically destroys and sinks them, even infantry squads can be on a large ship and be selected
4) built walls can have the option to add ladders so units can climb and go onto walls for extra defense or add a siege weapon or add a gate(s) on the walls
5) better formation of squads

Battle Realms -- basic soldiers can be put into a special building to upgrade into better soldiers

Universe of War: Earth Assault -- one mobile epic unit can upgrade many things itself including building units from there

World of Conflict -- support units can be brought to the battlefield with the purchase of promotional points (in which units battled and got promoted with each veteran status)

C&C Sole Survivor, End of Nations, Dota 2, League of Legends, Heathstone, etc. -- multiplayer online battle arena has to have a number of playable maps with different and distinguishable features and details in any environment

This is a partial list for now and more will be added later without notice. Other RTS games I have yet to observe are Grey Goo, Planetary Annihilation, Supreme Commander, Dawn of War, Battle for Middle Earth, Homeworld, Age of Empires, Halo Wars, Sid Meier's Alpha Centari, Civilization, Star Wars RTS, Commandos, etc.

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:20 PM

It would be a card game.  That is my only requirement to meet the "perfection" standard.

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:39 PM

There's no such thing as perfect either way. you have to sacrifice one thing to improve upon another. Of course you may go the way of Dwarf fortress and just build a massive game that just explodes with options and possibilities, but it wouldn't be very balanced.

Personally, I'm a bit off the RTS movement. I'd prefer a slower thing of the settlers style, or just 4x styles. Though if I have to choose one, I'd guess I'd go for something inspired by Empire earth I and the original AOE games. Cozy  campaigns and the likes. C&C had that too, I guess. SC1 and SC2 does campaigns well too, but the twitchyness of the gameplay fits me poorly, even if I like the concept.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

Oh, most recent RTS I've been playing is Offworld trading company, non-aggressive(well, non-militarily. there's sabotage and competition) RTS based on capitalism is a fresh look at the genre and very interesting. Not too big a fan of the current alpha, they did a lot of tweaks and not everything seems to be in order yet.

Edited by duke_Qa, 09 July 2015 - 11:41 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

Yea, Offworld looks like a bit of fun.  It would probably get old to me, after a few games though.  

Well, whatever the answer to this is, Grey Goo or Planetary Annihilation wasn't it.  People rated them well, but they didn't really seem to stick with them for very long.  I think people want an RTS with more than our traditional standards.  They seem to want more content these days.

#6 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

It is fun to watch people who know how to play play it.

way beyond what I do. currently I've got trouble playing, but I've been going expansive and it seems scientific is what you should go for right now.

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

Adding to this RTS mashup of best features.

Age of Empires III - Cards and Home cities. The RTS part of the game is where a civilisation is colonising the New World, your colony on the game map is supported by the civilisation's Home City, either London, Seville, Paris, Edo, Tenochtitlan, ect. From the Home City, before starting skirmish game, you can use game experience to purchase new cards and build themed decks for your playing style. Skirmish game experience points are used to purchase cards that the Home City will send to you during the game, and you then benefit from this shipment of settlers, resources, upgrades, ect. It is unfortunate that some cards are essential and players are at a disadvantage if they cannot acquire a factory shipment or fortress shipment.

Ae3-c01.jpg

The Battle for Middle-earth - walls. Walls that are siege-able, easily rebuildable and units can walk on them. Unfortunate that the player cannot place walls themselves.

Bfme-20.jpg

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users