6 replies to this topic

#1 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

E      R      I      S             H      A      R      L      O      W      E

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

W  A  L  K  I  N  G     I  N     T  H  E     S  H  A  D  O  W     O  F     D  E  A  D     G  O  D  S

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

Wave 2?  Did I miss wave 1?  Well, regardless, let's take a swim in some probably sin metal twisted death rock.

Wings of Death, I actually didn't mind.  It's nice instrumental that could compliment a dark setting quite nicely.  

Uhh... Dead Gods and Silent Screams actually made me giggle slightly, though it was inappropriate.  Maybe it's good screamer stuff, but all that high-pitched shouting sounds so ridiculous to me.

Spinal Ruptures was literally white noise.  I dunno how to rate that.

There's 2 more Walking in the Shadow songs?  Well, alright.  I can't see the end of those titles, so I dunno how to differentiate them.  The 2nd one starts off alright, but goes a bit too deep into crazy voice town for me again.

The 3rd one is partially good.  I quite enjoyed the ending, after the bass decided to stop shaking my TV speakers.  There was a hint of a coherent rhythm, and I enjoyed myself.

Slipping Away?  Ehh... I actually like the beat to it, but that voice just sounds like a an angry frog to me.  I listened to this one twice, and I pictured it without angry frog man... I think it would be my favorite, without his presence.

Now Home is really super.  That's some really competent guitar playing, and I really digged the final few notes,

Hmm... what feedback could I give... Well, I think what I don't like about this genera is that I cannot identify a comprehensive rhythm in any of these.  Something that I would remember, after listening to them.  They're just time & moment pieces that don't stick.  This sounds like all the rest punk shadow death music out there, which might be a compliment, but I think it could be innovated to tag a different audience: mine.  Whatever the heck that is.  But Home was super good.  It just needed a more appealing beat to follow through to the end, me thinks.

#3 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

This is black metal, (with elements of 'nu' and 'thrash' metal) which is why perhaps the vocal style seems... unconventional to you, and perhaps also the song structures too. Largely this vein of black metal Eris Harlowe explores is not driven by melody or tune but rather by soundscaping. Essentially the atmospherics, here focusing primarily on an 'empty' atmosphere, are the most significant part of the sound itself (excluding the lyrical content). Whilst most of the music I write for Eris Harlowe bears that notion of soundscapes to an extent, only two tracks, one of which is Spinal Ruptures, is entirely devoted to that idea, hence it becomes rather an acquired taste (influenced by likewise musicians Mors Sonat and Theologian, if you're curious) when fully applied. The other is eight minutes long, and far more sonically interesting, but I'm leaving that for Wave 3, the full-length. To answer the question about the 'Wave's, each Eris Harlowe release is listed as a Wave, and so far there is the EP Wave 1: The World Passed By, the double-EP Wave 2ᴀ and 2ʙ: Walking In The Shadow Of Dead Gods, and the upcoming full length is Wave 3: Hymni Abyssi.

Also, I appreciate the compliment on Home, that is by far the song I am most proud of, and I hope at least in diversifying Eris Harlowe's sound to spread across to more 'acceptable' music, there's something for a wider audience to appreciate, a quiet or happy song among the loud and the morose.

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:24 PM

I don't know why, but I read the name of the artist, and it looked so similar to yours... I assumed you actually did all of these yourself.  But you did the writing though... cools.  I can't imagine what a song sheet of some of this stuff would even look like.

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

I don't know why, but I read the name of the artist, and it looked so similar to yours... I assumed you actually did all of these yourself.  But you did the writing though... cools.  I can't imagine what a song sheet of some of this stuff would even look like.

Oooops. 

That's what happens when talking about your work in the third person, Renny.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:23 AM

Sake... you actually were talking in 3rd person... color me confused.

#7 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:09 AM

Sorry, yeah. I have a habit of referring to it as a separate thing rather than as 'me', I didn't consider that it might be confusing :p

So yeah, this is my stuff :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users