#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

Hello, friend. Hello, friend? That's lame. Maybe I should give you a name, but that's a slippery slope. You're only in my head. We have to remember that. Shit.

This series deserves its own topic for praise, so it won't just wither into the shoutbox archives all alone.

currently at 9.2 at imdb after 37k reviews and 97% fresh at rottentomatoes, I'd say that sounds about right, if it doesn't deserve even higher praise.

The story really hits a nerve for me about our modern society: Elliot, our hacker protagonist with social anxiety and childhood traumas bad enough to turn him into a morphine addict, has very succinct and cynical views of modern civilization:

You remind me of me when I was younger. Depressed and sullen. Matter of fact, tried to kill myself a couple of times. Never could get that shit right. Biology wasn't my strong suit. I hated myself, man. Still do. Thought that shit was a weakness, for a long time, and then I realized that shit was my power. People walk around acting like they know what hate means. Nah. No one does until you hate yourself... I mean, truly hate yourself. That's power.

The premise goes something like this: E-Corp(/Evil-corp) A big Enron-like corporation does pretty much everything in the world: Loans, banks, tech, products like pc's and smartphones, weapon research, etc. a mix of microsoft, google, apple, Lockheed Martin, Citibank(/other generic too-big-to-fail economic powerhouse). Elliot's childhood friend Angela, with a six-figure student debt to E-corp, works at the same e-security company as him,, protecting E-corp's servers. A group of hackers attacking the servers of E-corp invites Elliot to help them in their ultimate goal: Delete all loan documents E-corp owns, releasing millions from intentured servitude.

I remember when I was a kid I got into web design by ripping off sites I liked. All you had to do was view source on your browser and there it was. The code. You could copy paste it, modify it a little, put your name on it, and like that, it was your site. View source. What if we had that for people? Would people really wanna see?

The structure of the show could easily have fallen into "Monster of the week," but it avoids this pretty nicely. The story overlaps with smaller stories, addiction problems, mind-fuck questions of who's who and whatnot, along with following the villain in his ambitious climb up the big bad corporation.

So far, every episode has been a thrill in my opinion. There were some annoyances with the villain going over the top, but he's Swedish. Overall the main story progresses well and tropes are subverted as much as they are confirmed.

Edited by duke_Qa, 06 August 2015 - 11:39 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:16 AM

It sounds just like what I would expect.  I'll watch the first episode before I complain... I promise.  

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:11 PM

It should contain enough misanthropy for you :p

Another three episodes left of this season, which feels like forever but eh, it'll be worse when the season is over. Hopefully it'll not take more than a year to produce another season.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users