gondor civilian texture

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

In the Textures2.big file in the Battle for Middle-earth game folder there are a few texture files named 'gbgen01', 'gbgen01_d',something like that. I wanted to change those textures, so that the Gondor civilian buildings they were applied to to look almost completely different. However, the 'gbgen01' textures appeared strange when opened: most of the texture was blank, only some window-like spaces were not blank; however, when I opened the w3d files of the buildings, they were textured normaly. Is that normal? If yes, how do I retexture those buildings?

#2 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

I don't quite know why some of EA's textures are like that, but they work in game because the shader they use doesn't read the alpha channel - which means all the colour information is stored in the RGB channels, not the A channel. Hence, if you basically copy-paste that texture loads of times, you'll end up with a non-alpha'd version of the texture. I'm not really sure of the 'proper' way around this, but so far it seems not to cause any problems.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#3 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

I do not recommend that way.

The alpha channel is there, and it can be removed or turned off.

In GIMP (I'm still learning about Ps 2015), left-click the layer and Add Layer Mask, initialise the layer mask as the Layer's alpha channel, then disable the layer mask.

P.S. I'll show a screenshot if you need. I recommend learning about layer masks if you haven't already.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 15 August 2015 - 11:37 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#4 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

Oh, that's a cool way. Sorry, should have mentioned, my method was to be used in (any version of) Photoshop.

#5 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

I can confirm that you can apply the alpha channel as a layer mask in Ps 2015 and then disable the layer mask. =p

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#6 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

I know a bit how to work with Gimp, but not much, so screenshots would be appreciated :)

#7 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

I tried what you said Matt, but it didn't make any difference. Any idea why?

#8 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

Because you need to learn about layer masks.

Example of texture with an alpha channel:

inv stuff.PNG

I do not like the way the plug-in imports dds files into Photoshop. =/

inv stuff2.PNG

Irene, this way will not remove the alpha channel correctly.

inv stuff3.PNG inv stuff4.PNG

Adding a layer mask in GIMP that transferes the image's alpha channel.

Add layer mask.PNG Add layer mask2.PNG Add layer mask3.PNG

An alternative way using curves.

colour curves.PNG

#9 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:47 AM

It's possibly worth bearing in mind that Photoshop's plugins no longer do the multi-map import, and don't import alphas at all. Oddly.

I didn't mention it before cause it's a long time since I've edited the vanilla textures and the new plugin seems to have changed these inconveniences.

#10 -SilverBane-

-SilverBane-

Inactive Noob

• Project Team
  • 474 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Mapper & Coder

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

I use photoshop 4 and a dds plugin and it always asks me if i want to show the mip maps before opening file,,,

2qm3dd5.jpg

#11 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

I thought I had to initialise as the layer's Alpha channel, not to transfer the image's Alpha channel...
Well, it works now, I should have tried a bit more to find how to do this :(

#12 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:14 PM

I use photoshop 4 and a dds plugin and it always asks me if i want to show the mip maps before opening file,,,

I use a plugin from Nvidia, what do you use?

#13 -SilverBane-

-SilverBane-

Inactive Noob

• Project Team
  • 474 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Mapper & Coder

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

I use a plugin from Nvidia, what do you use?

same

2qm3dd5.jpg

#14 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

You can select the alpha channel in Photoshop, make it visible or not. In most of the versions of the Photoshop. The nvidia dds importer works from cs2 to cs6 (tested).

#15 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

It is the Nvidia plugin that doesn't work correctly for me. ;p I will have to look into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users