• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

Does anyone know how to make a w3d Buff object orient to the camera? I am making a new leadership buff but when I export the plane of course it is static and only visible from one angle. I've seen in other mods that their object will cam-orient but when I try to apply this effect on the export settings the plane is purely invisible and does not orient at all.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#2 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

Is it visible (correctly) in the W3D viewer?

If not, it might be rotated wrong.

Although I will admit I have not made w3d buff objects before, but it'd be logical if it wasn't really all that different from adding a normal object :p (Then again it is EA, so who knows) :p

Ridder Geel

#3 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

It's simply a vertical plane that shows up fine in w3d viewer and in game. But it remains at a static angle. I don't know how to get it to remain facing the camera. I did a test by looking at TDH's object that Nertea used for his and in W3dviewer it doesn't rotate at all, it is always static facing the camera. I would normally use Wdump to look at the material settings, but for some reason my anti-virus always pops it and deleted the exe so it's unusable. :p

I've come up with an alternative in the meantime, but it would still be nice to know how it's done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

Cam-orient or Cam-parallel, should be one of them.. Tried exporting a real mesh with those settings, to see how it reacts in-game? A simple square box, for instance.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#5 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

I haven't tried a simple mesh with it, but I did notice that when I exported a plane with either cam-orient or cam-parralel if it wasn't attached to a bone of some sorts then it just does not want to show up at all. I even tried making a "dummy skeleton" but to no avail.

I looked in game at TDH's effect and I notice that it seems to orient in a choppy motion. That isn't typical of a cam-orient so I'm unsure of the settings Nertea used. Or if it's just as a result of how cam-orient looks with buff objects.

I will try and see what happens with simple mesh objects this afternoon and report back.

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:34 PM

Again I've been tinkering with Buff objects, and now I'm running into an entirely different problem altogether. It seems that I cannot simply create a new mesh and have it show up in game as a buff object, it's always invisible. The only workaround that has been found currently is to have someone open up Rad's Leadership Buff in RenX (because I don't have it) and manually merge a custom object into it.

So this leads me to believe that there is some underlying necessary set-up to the meshes that will allow them to be visible. I tried a control test by replacing my desired buff with an already existing one (EXCripple for example), and it showed fine. Then I imported the EXCripple.w3d object, and re-exported it without changing anything. Sure enough, it was invisible. 

So something basic with my meshes is missing or incorrect which makes it refuse to show up in game as a buff object. Does anybody have any insight?

#7 Valheru

Valheru

Ashen Shugar

• Project Team
  • 765 posts
  • Projects:patching & see

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

Firstly how are you rendering the buff nugget, is it with a simple draw module(like the dwarf hero blue rings), or are you coding fxlist---> buff.ini?

SEE_Team_Rigger.jpg

#8 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

FXlist - buff.ini. As I said the coding is right because I can get other default buff objects to work fine. But any custom ones I make do not.

#9 Valheru

Valheru

Ashen Shugar

• Project Team
  • 765 posts
  • Projects:patching & see

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

I too lazy to read whole thread, is the short story you want new buff nuggets with cam-orient and your current issue is invisible asset yes? If so Ill make you one, test in game, then send to you with settings.

SEE_Team_Rigger.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users