Imdrar

The Dark Apprentice

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • Projects:Tol-in-Gaurhoth
  •  Villain On Demand

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:24 PM

Greetings, everybody.

After a gap of about one year (or even longer), I finally got motivated again and found some time to finish a map which I started long ago.

While I'm fine with all aspects of playability so far, I came across an issue concerning the water bodies in game. (It already annoyed me in the past, but I managed to repress my memory of this.)

As the topic title already suggests you, the tintings below the surface aren't displayed when the game runs on high detail (same for ultra high). Changing only the terrain detail parameter to medium solves the problem, but unfortunately, this messes up the shadow quality and generally looks like less.

I searched the gamelod.ini for the piece of code which might be responsible for this, and setting the line "UseNormalMapOnTerrain" from yes to no seemed to work on first sight. On second sight, however, this just resulted in the game automatically switching down to medium terrain detail again, including all it's disadvantages.

So, does anyone know a way to rectify this?

Btw.: It's not a matter of my rather old computer, I also checked it on a very firm engine of a friend.

Defender of the Lawful Evil

Posted Image

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:56 AM

Really?  I've never noticed that.  Then again... I always use shaders for my water, and these shaders don't usually allow you to see below the waterline.

#3 Imdrar

Imdrar

The Dark Apprentice

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  Villain On Demand

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:53 AM

So do I.

I probably wouldn't have noticed it as well, if there weren't these small glitches of transparency at some points where the shader gets in touch with terrain, especially with sharp edges like cliffs. The coastline of the Harlindon map gives you a good example of what I mean.

Posted Image

#4 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

On his computer this is not the case? Have you checked to see that the water is the same on his computer ingame as on yours? It's fairly obvious ea used different water shaders for the detail levels, which is quite smart :p

I haven't been able to check ingame myself, so yea...

Either they did not implement it in that shader, and that something which looks similar to what you want is used in the medium version, or something entirely different is going on :p

Ridder Geel

#5 Imdrar

Imdrar

The Dark Apprentice

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  Villain On Demand

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:41 PM

It was the same issue on both computers, tested on medium, high and ultra high level of detail on various maps with various types of water.

I see what you mean about the different shaders, though to me the surface shader doesn't seem to influence if the depth colour is showing up or not. I just gave it a try without using any shader for the water, only the tinting, and still.

Presenting the dry ground of an ocean through translucent dots of water shouldn't actually be the way it's meant to look like on improved graphic settings.

moddyevu.jpg

(High LoD to the left side, medium to the right.)

Posted Image

#6 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hmm yea i see the difference... Looks like a shader problem though, not sure if we can solve that...

Don't think anyone has decompiled and recompiled water shaders for the game, so yea..

Ridder Geel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users