#1 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Source: http://www.pcgamer.c...s-vista-7-and-8

The good news is that Microsoft is getting rid of DRM in all recent Windows OS newer than Windows XP, and who knows if Windows XP is going to get that security update as well. The bad news is that games that once had DRM will no longer run with the security update unless they are cracked. At least most people knew why DRM was terrible (and I hate it too).

Now gaming companies that once provided DRM to their older games (without installing to Steam/Origin) are going to be pissed off. Steam, Origin and Battle.net still have games with their own DRM on them (with no need of a disc).

But two questions remain:

1) Will newer games still carry DRM even if recent versions of Windows no longer supports it?

2) Will older games with DRM will be patched (even if they are still supported) to have DRM removed?

edit: Even Red Alert 3 is going to have issues with this because it has ******* SecuROM. But I am not sure about Kane's Wrath and C&C4.

edit 2: As of a new gaming myth: Cracks win. DRM lose.

#2 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Erm... did you read the article you linked to? Microsoft themselves have provided a workaround.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

Such a sad day for DRM fans around the world. What will we ever do now.... Oh I know, get a microsoft certified crack file :p

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users