abilities hero special powers

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

I browsed through the gamedata.ini and Agandaur's ini file, but I couldn't find any similarities or common things; but I may have missed them out, so I'm posting his code here for you to see if there's anything special; and tell me if I need to post other ini files too.

Here is Agandaur's ini file:

Spoiler

Edited by Kwen, 22 October 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#22 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Projects:The Battle of the Pelennor Fields Mod.

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

Oh boy! lol. When your making a post, there's an option for adding code, pop your code in there next time man. :thumbsupxd:

I'll have a read through it and see if anything jumps out at me.

Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Made by 1 guy, has 13 Factions, 75+ Heroes, 150+ different units and 200+ Special abilities.

http://www.moddb.com...pelennor-fields

#23 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

Ok, thanks.
And sorry, I'll use the code option next time :p

#24 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

Ok, there's a lot there could be causing problems. I'll start from the top and work down.

• His RecruitText, ReviveText and Hotkey code may not have been added to your lotr.str.
  • His DisplayName may not have been added to your lotr.str.
  • His weapons from the weaponsets might not have been added to your weapon.ini.
  • His armour from his armour set might not have been added to your armor.ini
  • All his audio/sounds seems to be unique and will need copying across and adding to the asset (I think, not totally sure how you get the sound to work, never messed with sound before).

There are a load more stuff from the special power code but if you use the Search function (CTRL + F) and search for Agandaur, just about everything  with his name in it is unique/new and will need copying over into your mod. The truth is, there is just to much for me to point out everything but using the Search tool should show you them all. I'll have another look a bit later and see if there is anything that the search tool might miss.

Good luck.

Edited by Titan Cronus, 22 October 2015 - 03:02 PM.

Made by 1 guy, has 13 Factions, 75+ Heroes, 150+ different units and 200+ Special abilities.

#25 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

Please in the future use both [code ] and [spoiler] tags when posting long code posts.

Edited by Kwen, 22 October 2015 - 03:24 PM.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#26 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Titan Cronus, I'll search his ini file for 'Agandaur' things, and I'll check if I have missed any of the things you mentioned :)
And Kwen, I apologize, I'll use those tags next time.

#27 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

I added all the references in lotr.str and copied the weapon bits from BOTTA's weapon.ini to Edain's weapon.ini; there was nothing referring to Agandaur in BOTTA's armor.ini, so I didn't do anything with it. I also replaced Agandaur's audio parameters with the Witchking's, because I also don't know how to add sound. I also copied all of Agandaur's special powers from BOTTA's Specialpower.ini into Edain's.
And then, the WB and game crashes still occur. Have I missed something again?

Edited by ThorinOakenshield2, 23 October 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#28 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:23 PM

Mostly it's something simple such as a missing an "End" at some point; I mostly forget to end my FX's properly. :p

26285.png

#29 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

Well if you mean in Agandaur's ini file, I copied it from BOTTA and it doesn't cause problems there, so it's probably not that :p

#30 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:53 PM

Forgetting an End wouldn't likely cause a game.dat. What is most likely happening is you have something referenced that does not exist, and the game's basic debugging feature does not detect it. So the game does a 'hard crash' in the form of a game.dat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#31 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

Ah fair enough, I've not downloaded the image..

You need to make sure that all new FX's exist that you're referring to. Not sure if that would cause a start up crash, but check if you have that. Like FX_AgandaurDieToRespawn etc.

Also, did you add all the weapons? Did you add all the referred AttributeModifiers?

I've not been modding for a while but occasionally I also got these game.dat crashes... I just can't remember when they popped up and how I got rid of them. What I certainly did was double/triple check if all the special powers, attributemodifiers, fx's and upgrades exist.

26285.png

#32 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:38 AM

It might be worth it to check the list of Known game.dat errors to see if any of them might be happening in your case.

Game.dat crashes are tricky to troubleshoot. Normally the best solution is to simply undo everything you've done until it works again without your changes, and then piece by piece add your changes again testing each step along the way to see what exactly causes the crash.

#33 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

Ok, I'll try undoing everything and adding piece by piece the ini files and see where the problem is.

#34 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

Another thing to check is the weapons, make sure they no unique things that you need to add. Things like ProjectileTemplateName (if its a ranged weapon) or FireFX. Also, make sure you copy the Warhead too if its a ranged weapon.

A big tip: If you're starting again, make copies of your progress. If you add something and it works, make a copy of your mod and save it elsewhere on your computer. Then when you add something else and you have that working, copy the mod again and replace the old copy with that new copy. Keep making copies when you have success and replacing the old ones with the new ones. If you ever get really stuck, just go back to the last copy and start over again from there.

#35 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:10 PM

Ok, I removed everything I altered, now I'm gonna do everything step by step.
^^Don't worry, Titan Cronus, I always make a lot of backups; but thanks for the advice :)

#36 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

Ok, everytime I insert the Agandaur.ini file in the Edain mod, the crashes start.
If I start inserting the Specialpowers first instead, still crashes occur.
So does this mean the Agandaur.ini is the problem?

#37 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:18 PM

You said it worked before just without the special powers? Get it back to that point first if you can.

#38 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

No, I meant this: I used an ini file for Agandaur that i got from a submod of Edain, and it worked with it, but without special powers.
Then I decided to try to copy Agandaur's powers from BOTTA to Edain, so I used his ini file from BOTTA instead. Then that ini file started the problems.

#39 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Okay so they were completely different then.

This is a good example why the common idea to combine mods is always shot down. Because the headache involved in trying to transpose stuff from one mod to another is a lot..

Now, is the crash always a game.dat? Or with the various things you've been trying did you get other crashes?

#40 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

I think it's always a game.dat related crash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users