Photo

The Revora Warhammer (40K) Thread

warhammer warhammer fantasy warhammer 40000 games workshop epic warhammer 40000 where did my monies go

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  •  Parce mihi, Domine, quia Dalmata sum.

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:35 AM

Warhammer-logo_(1).png
Title_warhammer_2.png

Fellow smurfs and Tau-lovers, Imperials and heretics, welcome to Revora's thread for everything Warhammer and Warhammer 40.000. Let's discuss everything related to the original tabletops, the lore, the derived board games, card games and video games. And blame Games Workshop for the cobwebs forming in our wallets.

Administrator of CNCNZ.com and EVA Database, the C&C Wiki

You are also welcome to make use of my archives of official files:

C&C File Archive | BFME File Archive | Dune File Archive

#2 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

Question: has anyone played any Age of Sigmar stuff? I'm not planning on starting an army, but I've no idea what the difference is between that and Fantasy.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#3 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

YE PRISSY PRICKS THERE BE SCAVEN ON THA' HORIZEN N' ONLY AH' BLOOMIN COWERD 'LL TURN AH' BLIND EY'! SIGMAR SPAT BRAVER FECKS THEN YE' LOT!

http://store.steampo...com/app/235540/

On the subject of affordability, Vermintide is only 30 bucks, and there's so much content.  It's a Games Workshop world record in price.  Get that.

And also, Bloodbowl 2 is great (though you should wait for more races to come out (and a lower price)).  And there's that chess game... Regentcide?  It's alright.  Nothing special.

And I've never played Age of Sigmar, or any of the games that involve the models.  Even if I started investing in the models, I don't know anyone around me that plays.  I would probably just buy them for the painting.  I think Fantasy just goes by a different rule set.

#4 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

Those Verminticide trailers look good. And I know a guy who plays Blood Bowl on his iPad (not Blood Bowl 2, but w/e).

To be honest though, I mean Skaven and Orks are pretty ridiculous.

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

Surprisingly, Dwarves are the worst (best) in Bloodbowl 2.  They start off with tons of abilities, including block and thick skulled, so they will rarely ever get injured.  And the death roller, which is basically just a first half unit that is designed to KILL enemy units.  The ball isn't even the objective with Dwarves, and it works.

#6 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

All I ever experienced in these particular universes was Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. Which was a very fun game, I thought.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#7 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

Clearly I'm going to recommend Dawn of War 1 : Soulstorm as that's the only reason that I'm on these forums for the ongoing modding work. Granted the base game is over a decade old, but in terms of content it is likely to be the most complete wh:40K game ever as it has 9 races out of the box with different play styles, and with modding there is just so much content. Soulstorm has a bad rap as it had real problems on release and adds crappy aircraft, but in terms of modding then it's the best.

#8 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

I didn't play the singleplayer and haven't dived in quite too much into the depths yet, but I find nothing wrong with Soulstorm (except having no firm campaign unlike vanilla DoW 1, as I understood). SS has good MP, I like the Dark Eldar faction.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf, 27 October 2015 - 09:42 PM.

#9 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:44 PM

Well, Soulstorm doesn't have 9 races out of the box unless you buy all the previous DOW expansions and base game AFAIK. I honestly kinda prefer DOW2 though now... it just much better captures WH IMO, feels so chunky and explosive and satisfying.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:45 PM

There's a lot of fun concepts in the 40k universe. If it was higher quality literature I'd love to see someone do a Game of Thrones serial of it one day, Gaunt's Ghosts would probably be the best fit, or Eisenhorn.

Eisenhorn is a triology of triologies, the final one has only gotten one book so far though. I can recommend them as cozy books about a imperial inquisitor hunting corruption and evil while gazing into the abyss. the mix of down-to-earth espionage and skullduggery with potentially planet-destroying relics and bad guys works well.

Beyond that, I guess the Dawn of War games (first one at least) hit the mood of the more action-oriented bits better.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#11 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

For singleplayer campaign or skirmishes (or just mod them available with friends) then yes, Soulstorm does have 9 races. It is true that you can only play vanilla Soulstorm online with the 2 new races, I can't imagine that is the main pull of a game so old. 

Ah DoW2... A divisive game that even relic admitted was a mistake. Pretty, with a very good single player campaign across the DoW 2 spectrum, but just a weird representation of TT and an oddly designed game all over (and with no mod tools!). It has its fans, but was an unusual sequel I think.

Like the books very much, but their ebooks are terribly expensive!

#12 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

Well, Soulstorm doesn't have 9 races out of the box unless you buy all the previous DOW expansions and base game AFAIK.

Yeah, I never liked Relic's expansion methods. You don't just need to own Vanilla, WA and DC, you also need to have them installed so SS can ask you for their serials to unlock the factions.

They do all appear in singleplayer regardless of that, though.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf, 27 October 2015 - 10:18 PM.

#13 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:49 PM

There was always one thing I wondered about Warhammer, and actually GW in general; how much influence will 3D printing have on their bussiness?

#14 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:28 PM

If 3D printers ever become more affordable, I'm sure there will be legal infringements on downloading models and printing them.  That is, there is no way GW is going to let people get away with posting components that they sell.

#15 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:36 AM

Yes, I agree that they will try to stop the usage of 3D printers for their models, but I believe it will be as effective as the campaign against pirating movies and music. Furthermore; I read somewhere that 3D printing the sculptures is not illegal, because just like modding a game, people make models based on the actual designs used in movies, or wherever they get their inspiration from. That is not illegal, because, like a drawing, it is just a regular work of art. So in case of GW sculptures, people BASE their 3D models on the sculptures from GW, like some kind of artwork. In any case, unless GW will think of a new strategy to sell their products, I believe that this company is going dooown. Serves them right for selling a small metal sculpture for 20 euros :xd:.

Edited by Bashkuga, 28 October 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#16 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:33 AM

Companies don't sell famous works of art as a retail business.  Printing off a bust of Cesar won't undermine anything worth legislating.  Printing off a slew of Space Hulks eclipses GW's interests.  We probably won't be seeing any websites giving away/selling the 3D models, and no one will likely be allowed to sell any printed models.

#17 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:03 AM

I read somewhere that 3D printing the sculptures is not illegal, because just like modding a game, people make models based on the actual designs used in movies, or wherever they get their inspiration from.

No, it's considered as illegal as recasts, as in they apparently detract from GW sales. Realistically, I'll probably never buy a Hierophant from GW's Forgeworld, so technically if I 3D printed / bought a recast, it's illegal to use in-game, and the printer / supplier is performing an illegal act. GW love a good lawsuit, and anything resembling their models is up for suing.

#18 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

It's like torrenting a movie or game. Unless they particularly track the activity on the site you download that from AND yourself, you won't be prosecuted. And nobody outside GW will care unless they're prudish as fuck.

As Bashkuga said, they had it coming for being so money-hungry.

#19 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:33 AM

Hence why I'm waiting to see how my £10 Malanthrope recast (retail price £51) turns out. It arrives in a few weeks.

#20 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

That's the spirit.

Also, the living card game Conquest (40K) and the board game Chaos in the Old World (Fantasy) are great, take a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users