20 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,197 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:45 PM

I used to love Mental Omega, the very first version, because missions are fun and interesting and they had boss battles at the end of Allied or Soviet campaigns. In MO 2.0, things got tougher for the mentally impossible but save files are still possible. But this MO 3.0, very disappointing. If it had been a RA3 or C&C3 mod, that changes everything for the greater good for this series and I wonder why MO 3 wasn't developed  into SAGE in the first place. Also the APYR subtitle name added to Mental Omega, that quite fit in MO 1.0 and 2.0.

Post support: 1 star out of 10 (because nothing is getting released and recent closed beta testing is either limited or not there, just hints and tips for workarounds)

MO 3.0: 1 star out of 10 (because save files are disabled and hardcore missions are more impossible than the average difficulty of a mission in Starcraft; it's better watching the walkthrough videos instead of playing, and worse, maps cannot be extracted or edited. Plus buildable Service Depots and MCVs would have really helped out the missions.)

If I were the main developer I would release something already despite bug/balance/campaign fixes, not to wait for cumulative fixed content and later content such as getting a fourth faction and fourth campaign in. I wish I am a closed beta tester on this mod but no one seems to be trusting for that request. I am sure many people are disappointed by the post support of this because nothing has been released in the last two years. The people who have Windows 8 and 10 are demanding for a fix ASAP for MO 3.0, including compatibility for recent version of CnCNet and Ares. I know you guys have limited free time and limited developers, but something has got to be done... honestly. More and more people will unlikely to play this recent mod because of the lack of post-support help. Besides look at the small team(s) of Renegade-X and Twisted Insurrection, they got several patch releases in the last two years and they fixed more issues than you guys.

I believe this is the second time I had to tell you this.

#2 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:00 PM

1/10, terrible review.

It's up to the developers whether they want to continue to patch the mod or not. You didn't pay for it, or contribute to it's creation. It was purely the work of passionate hobbyists. Any fandom I'm sure is welcome, but when you stop being supportive and start being entitled, it stops being helpful.

You clearly haven't tried to inform yourself on why saving and loading is disabled. It's done so because the logic takes a lot of work to fix and maintain while new gameplay logic is being added to Ares. Now, MO 3.0 relies very heavily on new Ares logics and most, if not all modern mods, wouldn't be half as interesting without it. It's been incredibly valuable in keeping mods fresh after 15 years of YR modding. So getting rid of saving/loading is an easy choice IMO. AlexB has been working very hard on getting it to work and made great progress, but it will always be something that needs to be maintained as features are added, and he's just a hobbyist too, working on Ares all by his lonesome.

How do hard missions really make it "very disappointing"? You're ignoring all the good stuff just because it's too hard for you. It's too hard for me too, but the incredible voxel work, the new faction designs, all the maps and sounds, gamemodes- everything is of the highest quality in the community and just because I can't finish the missions doesn't make it a bad game, at all. It might be a negative for you, but it cannot ruin the whole thing. Furthermore the missions are almost objectively better in terms of design and technical complexity than any 2.0 mission, and that needs recognizing too. Not to mention 2.0 missions were often broken or had you hunt down the last stealth tank like a dummy.

A closed beta is again the developers prerogative. They don't owe you anything. They can pick and choose who they want. And let's face it, there have been MO 3.0 leaks in the past too that can give people the wrong impression if things change afterwards. They don't even need to have a beta if they don't want to. Surprises are always nice and waiting for it is fine, as long as the final release is beautiful.

Your review of post support is also silly. 1/10 forgets all the community support that has been going on. There's always someone here responding to people's technical troubles, feedback and idea contributions, lore discussions etc. There are constant news posts to supply people with the latest development information. That doesn't deserve 1/10, it's better than a lot of real games companies. The lack of patches is a fair criticism I share, but again they owe neither of us anything.

Also, MO 1.2 didn't have any missions, so that seems factually inaccurate.

I'm not a developer, I don't have access to the new beta and I'm no MO fanboy. I just think this topic is crap.

Edited by OmegaBolt, 04 November 2015 - 10:08 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

The one and only master of Scorpion Cell

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

Your review is as pointless and dumb as your polls, Zocom.

1. I dont think you have done anything to deserve beta. About the trust part - not like you tried to fake a score of your own polls by picking losing mod claiming that "people intentionaly made this mod lose by voting on other one". I wouldnt trust person like that.

2. I dont think its any smart to tell someone how to do their job while knowing less than you think you know (hello save/load issue)

3. FYI i seen a lot of people passing missions in MO, on any difficulty by not so hardcore players. If you are telling that missions are too hard then you're probably still living in vanilla easy RA2 world.

4. While there are no patches/fixes for MO, just as OmegaBolt said people who have problems with game and will post it about here will very often get their solutions.

5. "More and more people will unlikely to play this recent mod" - Fun fact. MO still have stable player base, most often you can see people playing and NOT complaining about any of issues you have spoken about.

Regards, person who does actually posess a bit of knowledge.

#4 Martinoz

Martinoz

Just MK

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 1,621 posts
  • Projects:YR Argentina Webmaster
  •  Since April 2011
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:YR Argentina

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:27 PM

I used to love Mental Omega, the very first version, because missions are fun and interesting and they had boss battles at the end of Allied or Soviet campaigns. In MO 2.0, things got tougher for the mentally impossible but save files are still possible. But this MO 3.0, very disappointing. If it had been a RA3 or C&C3 mod, that changes everything for the greater good for this series and I wonder why MO 3 wasn't developed  into SAGE in the first place. Also the APYR subtitle name added to Mental Omega, that quite fit in MO 1.0 and 2.0.

Post support: 1 star out of 10 (because nothing is getting released and recent closed beta testing is either limited or not there, just hints and tips for workarounds)

MO 3.0: 1 star out of 10 (because save files are disabled and hardcore missions are more impossible than the average difficulty of a mission in Starcraft; it's better watching the walkthrough videos instead of playing, and worse, maps cannot be extracted or edited. Plus buildable Service Depots and MCVs would have really helped out the missions.)

If I were the main developer I would release something already despite bug/balance/campaign fixes, not to wait for cumulative fixed content and later content such as getting a fourth faction and fourth campaign in. I wish I am a closed beta tester on this mod but no one seems to be trusting for that request. I am sure many people are disappointed by the post support of this because nothing has been released in the last two years. The people who have Windows 8 and 10 are demanding for a fix ASAP for MO 3.0, including compatibility for recent version of CnCNet and Ares. I know you guys have limited free time and limited developers, but something has got to be done... honestly. More and more people will unlikely to play this recent mod because of the lack of post-support help. Besides look at the small team(s) of Renegade-X and Twisted Insurrection, they got several patch releases in the last two years and they fixed more issues than you guys.

I believe this is the second time I had to tell you this.

You are as dumb as your fake polls. GTFO.
"why MO 3 wasn't developed  into SAGE in the first place."

SAGE FOR YURI'S REVENGE
" (because nothing is getting released and recent closed beta testing is either limited or not there, just hints and tips for workarounds)" 
Because we don't want to have a retard like you to test it.

" I wish I am a closed beta tester on this mod but no one seems to be trusting for that request" 
GUESS WHY - EVERYONE IGNORES YOU AND YOUR DUMB POLLS.

"because save files are disabled"
YOU DIDN'T EVEN TRY WHY IS IT DISABLED, SAME WITH YOUR COMPARING RELEASED MODS TO DEAD MODS. YOU CANT EVEN SEE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INDIE GAME AND A MOD. AND YET YOU DARE TO TEACH OTHERS HOW TO FUNCTION.

Edited by Martinoz, 04 November 2015 - 10:49 PM.

7fqd2Qz.png

#5 Oktavia

Oktavia
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

To be honest, waiting for new versions is more fun than playing the actual game.

#6 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:15 AM

To be honest, I kinda agree with Oktavia. In a way, all the theorizing about Side 4 is just too much fun. :p

As for OP, while in a way it contains a sliver of truth, the post is also disrespectful. These guys been making this stuff for more than 10 years, for no money, and are still active. That is something to have respect for.

If there's something to complain for is the fact that this game is free, and I can't pay for it, when it would deserve that.

Edited by Solais, 05 November 2015 - 12:16 AM.

#7 MrFreeze777

MrFreeze777
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:15 AM

But on a more serious note if you don't like waiting for a long time for the next beta revision, go kill time playing other great mods in the meantime like Rise of the Reds, Twisted Insurrection, Shockwave, etc.

Save/Load function being disabled is not up the MO developers to fix so it made no sense to give a low rating for something that is out of their control. Speeder has said many times the Easy and Medium difficulty for the campaign will be made much easier. Maps might be able to be edited(I'm not exactly sure) and you will be able to create maps from scratch when Final Omega map editor is released at a much later time. Each faction has their own mobile repair units, that is way better than having Service Depots. MCVs are still available in campaign although next beta revision they won't be, but you can still make use of tech expansion posts or you can capture any enemy building with 1 engineer in campaign and then build whatever building next to it.

Edited by MrFreeze777, 05 November 2015 - 05:31 AM.

#8 DetectiveTaco

DetectiveTaco

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  lolwut

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

But this MO 3.0, very disappointing. If it had been a RA3 or C&C3 mod, that changes everything for the greater good for this series and I wonder why MO 3 wasn't developed  into SAGE in the first place

The SAGE engine's capability isn't really good if you ask professional SAGE modders (look what happened to RA3 Paradox) unlike the RA2 engine which has Ares to further extend it's capabilities.

#9 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

ZH SAGE and RA3 SAGE are two different kind of thing. The former is actually quite well moddable albeit heavily affected by pathfinding issues, the latter is terribly limited at modding.

Missions are too hard though, whatever any of you will say. It was stated that missions will be easier on easy difficulty than 2.0's easy difficulty and that promise wasn't met. This was something I advocated during the PB times but Martinoz flamed me back instead and Speeder considered that as a solution so I don't believe that "easy will be easier" in BR2. The rest I agree is stupid bloatware and OP is the most illuminated wanderer in the community afterall.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#10 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

I do agree about the difficulty, but I'm still hopeful that they will be made somewhat easier on the easy and normal settings of the next release.

Heard the bloatware argument before, but since this is a free mod, and not a commercial product with deadlines, it is really their choice if they have it or not. Bloatware CAN destroy projects, like people running out of motivation and the like, but so far, that doesn't seem to be the case, at least from what we plebs can see publicly.

#11 X1Destroy

X1Destroy

title available

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

The only thing that I agree with is that BR2, which was supposed to be a bug fixing patch was never released and it was really disappointing.

I can wait for another 2 years for a new release with more contents but I just hate playing a bugged and unbalanced version for that same amount of time.

And not just that, the .mix files are locked so almost no one can actually touch and fix the maps by themselves.

Edited by X1Destroy, 05 November 2015 - 03:44 PM.

"Protecting the land of the Free."
efXH1rz.png

#12 Eternity 6

Eternity 6
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

Two years I swear it has been one.

This was something I advocated during the PB times but Martinoz flamed me back instead and Speeder considered that as a solution so I don't believe that "easy will be easier" in BR2.

Nooooo ... all of my hopes and dreams have been crushed by high difficulty .

j/k

#13 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Mix files are locked so noone will rip stuff which was created only for MO. For me its logic.

And honestly, even if i have to wait even longer for next release of MO, i can say its gonna be worth it. Just as long as i was waiting for 2.0. c/psi

#14 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,197 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

Missions are too hard though, whatever any of you will say. It was stated that missions will be easier on easy difficulty than 2.0's easy difficulty and that promise wasn't met. This was something I advocated during the PB times but Martinoz flamed me back instead and Speeder considered that as a solution so I don't believe that "easy will be easier" in BR2. The rest I agree is stupid bloatware and OP is the most illuminated wanderer in the community afterall.

That is a feeling in which some modders here cannot be trusted. MO 2.0 and 3.0 missions on easy difficulty are actually really hard compared to all C&C missions in the franchise, but if you go hardcore and went mental difficulty, that difficulty is impossible. Even the devs think the difficulty to accomplish missions is hard, brutal and impossible instead of easy, normal and mental.

To be honest, waiting for new versions is more fun than playing the actual game.

True, but only if the main fixes were done.

Mix files are locked so noone will rip stuff which was created only for MO. For me its logic.

And honestly, even if i have to wait even longer for next release of MO, i can say its gonna be worth it. Just as long as i was waiting for 2.0. c/psi

What tools are used to lock MIX files? There's no tool to unlock MIX files fortunately? Not even XCC Mixer or TibEd? One of the main reasons why I gave MO 3.0 a 1 star rated is because it cannot be modified. I also found out that the game speed is set to default no matter if I tried to modify the INIs and set them to read-only.... because that doesn't work in campaign missions, only in skirmish/MP matches.

On that second statement, Twisted Insurrection and Renegade-X were worth the wait over this mod because their development times were faster than anticipated and people believed in them.

On off topic, besides some people that responded to this, not a single MO developer responded to my post.

Edited by zocom7, 05 November 2015 - 05:40 PM.

#15 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

Martinoz is still an MO dev, dumdum.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#16 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

On off topic, besides some people that responded to this, not a single MO developer responded to my post.

Because they simply see no reason to answer you since you're close minded person who write stuff before checking the facts?

Seriously, when it comes to that you remind me of zixline

Edited by CLAlstar, 05 November 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#17 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

I understand why it's locked, but I DO think it would be a nice idea to release some of the ini files to allow for low leveling modding. Like, if someone wanted to do an act 1 conversion for skirmish by giving soviets mind control and both sides some campaign exclusives, using artmo as a reference for finding certain image names. 

#18 Atomic_Noodles

Atomic_Noodles

Colony Hivemind

• Project Team
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert - Colony Wars
  •  Colony Wars Hive Mind

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:53 PM

As a fellow Modder I feel at least they have a justified reason for locking the mixes. Modding the game would make players break the balance the Developers have already made to the game.

Most if not all the things everybody said would be the same reply as the devs similar to OmegaBolt & Martinoz's.

Your attitude IMO doesn't even warrant you a chance of becoming a closed beta tester. You act self-righteous and that everything you post is the best reply to the mod itself.

~ Getting cringe reactions when you see a RAINBOW means you have issues. ~

"This World is an Illussion,Exile" -High Templar Dominus

#19 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:17 AM

As a fellow Modder I feel at least they have a justified reason for locking the mixes. Modding the game would make players break the balance the Developers have already made to the game.

I understand locking the mixes on the grounds of making sure it isn't stolen and plagiarized in some ripoff, but why not allow sandbox-style modding for people who don't care about balancing or online play? If they break the game, it's their problem, but I think it's hypocritical for a mod's devs to bar the fans from modding the mod. 

#20 Atomic_Noodles

Atomic_Noodles

Colony Hivemind

• Project Team
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert - Colony Wars
  •  Colony Wars Hive Mind

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:09 AM

There's already been a leak of the art & rules ini files. Which is most is what you need. For a mapper just use FinalAlert for now and refer to the building names in art/rules so you know what to place on the maps.

The Game's been already modded. Plus most often in this case its more for consistency you don't like having mismatched unit designs in the same faction.

Edited by Atomic_Noodles, 06 November 2015 - 01:10 AM.

~ Getting cringe reactions when you see a RAINBOW means you have issues. ~

"This World is an Illussion,Exile" -High Templar Dominus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users