Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Well done on the last computer.  My friend and I got it built, and it works like a jewel.  But more people have accepted the magnanimous grace of the PC god into their hearts.

Time to pick up the pace.  My friend wants a computer built around an NVIDIA Titan X.  He would like it kept under 2000 Americano as well.  I have no idea how to build a computer with a component that massive, so anything prebuilt would also be fine, if you can find one that works in budget.

#2 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

I don't think many pre-built ones will contain a Titan X, but it's definitely possible to build a rig with one for under 2000 usd. I'll draft something up. Any preferences on style? A specific case perhaps? Is any overclocking planned?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gP9rK8

Here is a template for a $2000 Titan X build.

Couple things to note:

No an i5 will not bottleneck a Titan X, it has nearly the same performance as its big brother i7. The only difference is that the i7 has hyperthreading and increased multi-thread performance which is irrelevant to 90% if applications in existence.

I put in a slower (5900rpm) 4TB HDD because the 500GB SSD would be ideally used to house the OS and all primary applications/games while the 4TB drive would be mainly for mass storage. So the speed of the drive is not really as necessary.

This doesn't include an OS because those are easy to get for a decent price. Just get a valid serial key for Windows 7 at a cheap price, then install either 7 or 10 and the same serial can be used to activate either. Completely legal and fully functioning.

Of course like I said this is a template and anything can be changed as desired. But it shows that with $2000 an amazing pc can be built without cutting corners and still include a Titan X.

I will go ahead and say the obligatory though. It's not really wise or necessary to go for a Titan X as oppose to a 980ti. The 980ti is as fast and faster in many situations than a Titan X. It is just less VRAM and of course lacking in the "big dick show off" that some people like by simply claiming that they have a Titan.

Edited by Kwen, 12 November 2015 - 12:59 PM.

• Mathijs likes this

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#3 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

Always a pleasure reading your detailed posts on this stuff, Kwen.

• Kwen likes this

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

I enjoy chiming in my knowledge when it's useful. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:40 AM

Very useful.  I'll pass this bucket of wisdom along to my friend.

#6 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:51 PM

Here is the build I gave to Pasidon yesterday: https://pcpartpicker...e5/saved/whBnTW

--

I went with a 980ti and future proofing in mind. Some things that could be changed would be to get a faster SSD and or a bigger standard hd to push the 2k budget.

Edited by Elric, 13 November 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#7 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

And now I am going to critique your list. :p

First off I will go ahead and say this. "Future Proofing" by using Skylake and DDR4 is a complete farce. The difference in performance between Skylake and the Haswell refresh is so minimal, but you're pushing up the price range in that area simply by going with newer hardware. Plenty of people are still using Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge generation chips/boards and their PCs are still completely capable.

Another thing I immediately notice is WHY on earth are you including a wifi network adapter when the Maximus line of boards have very very high quality wifi adapters already built into the board.

Also, you just simply referenced a more expensive case, I'm assuming there is a reason for that, but I must ask what it is.

I guess I understand "Future Proofing" using a slightly larger PSU, but I can't say much since it's basically the same one I included just an extra hundred watts.

Why would you immediately go with an H100i? Unless the CPU will be overclocked there is ZERO reason to use liquid cooling. Especially when the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is only $35...

Overall I hands down agree with the inclusion of a 980ti, however doing so is not justification to reapply the money saved into the wrong areas. Cutting the SSD size in half and HDD size into one fourth the capacity causes a lot more hurt than the gains you get by moving up to a Skylake/DDR4/Liquid Cooling configuration.

If I were to recommend a 980ti setup I would do so similarly to how I had it laid out and instead of just shoving the savings elsewhere, pinch some pennies and stretch out for a 980ti SLI setup which can hit close to the $2000 usd target and absolutely blow away your "Future Proof" setup.

Anyways, just my 50 cents.

Edited by Kwen, 13 November 2015 - 08:33 PM.
Typo

#8 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

Fair enough, I am thinking in terms of Overclocking, and the socket type. I have a maximus hero vii and it doesn't have onboard WiFi so I assumed it didn't have it on the newer one. If it does then yeah scratch that bullshit LOL.

--

I was thinking in terms of the socket being different so when the next couple CPUs come out the board will be viable. DDR4 is just another future proofing thing for when more ram intensive applications come out, which will happen eventually. 

The expensive case: If your gonna have a 2k computer don't wimp out on a shitty case which would make it look bad plus I have had experience with that case and it looks nice as heck plus cable management is a breeze and its on the larger end of cases. However, in all honesty I just picked the first one in the list that would be around the 120.00 mark. Once you hit just over 100 bucks you can find very nice cases so this one was more a placeholder price tag for someone else to decide the look of the case.

Anywho, I agree that a 980ti SLI setup would be pretty sick haha.

----

#9 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

To be fair I do understand your reasoning, however for one the Fractal Design Define S is NOT a shitty case. :p It's actually an amazing case. Also I get that going with the new socket type seems like a good idea but frankly it's not at all necessary to jump on board to a new socket type for the first generation. PC hardware typically advances so quickly in two or three years that it's not really important to jump on board right away so as to last. Pick up something cheaper but just as effective, and yes in two or three years when the socket chips start really making headway it will be easy enough to again find a cheap board to fit a new chip and also by then DDR4 will have come down in price even more. 

Also, my proposed setup can overclock just fine! ;) You don't need a Maximus to Overclock effectively. 

I'm being a bit hypocritical of course because I am in fact using an Asus Maximus VII Formula with my i7 4790k :p

----

So I did a little more research and I retract *part* of my statement about the wifi card. I still think it's completely unnecessary to use a big ugly ass PCI wifi adapter, but it turns out that in fact the VIII Hero does not include integrated wifi. It does however include an available M.2 connector which is much much better to use in this case, with an adapter such as this one. However looking at the board, it would likely require removing of the I/O shroud, as it does not appear that the M.@ connector is accessible with it installed.

Edited by Kwen, 13 November 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#10 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:59 AM

I wasnt implying The Fractal case was shitty lol I did my build the day he posted it but didn't comment hahaha.

#11 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:46 AM

Saw Goodman.

#12 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

The expensive case: If your gonna have a 2k computer don't wimp out on a shitty case which would make it look bad

If you're going to (have a 2k computer) please* don't wimp out on a shitty case. Use one that will compliment the elegance of the build without trying to be flashy and "awesome", which would in the end look bad.

I wont bother commenting my counterpoints. 

Edited by Kwen, 14 November 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#13 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:15 PM

Well, the Titan build didn't happen.  But he still needs a hefty computer.  He said he wants one based around an NVIDIA 980 ti, around 600 dollars. I know that's not possible since they alone cost around 600 bucks, but let's see if any of you egg heads (or should I say NEW Egg heads) can build up a cheep PC with one, around 1000 bucks.

#14 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:02 PM

980ti build around $1000 huh.. The only feasible way to pull that off and still have solid performance would be to go with an FX 8350 or an older generation Intel.

#15 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

Legend Kwen you got dis, im busy with finals else I would still undertake said challenge. If Pasidons friend had 1500 bucks there is an sli plain titan build in my area with a 6 core i7 for that amount hahahahah

#16 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

This squeaks past the budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QvcTGX

You could shave pennies with a smaller HDD or a cheaper Motherboard, but I would suggest to stick with a better board for expansion options. It's tough to get lots of good stuff to fit in with a 980ti for around $1000, but this is close to as good as it will get with keeping expandability in mind, and still getting as much horsepower as possible to fit within the budget.

#17 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:28 PM

Sterling performance.  I'll run this by him tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users