Changing unit/horde Display Name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ruthrelad

Ruthrelad
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

This should not be too hard and I have seen mods with unique names for their new units but I can't seem to figure out how it's done. 

In the object or horde files the code goes something like this "Display Name = OBJECT:ArnorRanger"

I don't know where exactly this object string goes back to. I searched my ini for it by could only find references. How do I create new strings that actually display the name instead giving a me "MISSING:"? Or how I do find the already existing ones and alter them?

#2 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

The file you're looking for is the lotr.str. It depends on what version you're on.. if you're on version 1.00, extract English.big to get the newest lotr.str, if you're on 1.05/1.06, extract englishpatch105.big to get the newest lotr.str.

Are you modding with the -mod command or in the main directory?

26285.png

#3 Ruthrelad

Ruthrelad
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the reply! I actually making an ini file for a map. I used an str file to make tooltips starting with "CONTROLBAR:" and they displayed without issue for abilities and upgrades however I could not get any unit tooltips to display correctly no matter what combination of words I put in my str file. 

I thought there was perhaps some additional words I have to put in that I could find out from the viewing the original strings but it seems it's just "OBJECT:" and I already tried that several times. I am starting to believe that altering unit names may be another one of those annoying ini editing limitations.

#4 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

Maybe the guy who made the Legends map did it.. not sure anymore, and can't check right now for you...

http://www.the3rdage...tem-483?addview

Try and see if he changed names, I think he did, good luck with the ini files nd all, they are huge :p

Ridder Geel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users