linux wine ra3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dj_tapioca

dj_tapioca
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:31 PM

In the past few days I have struggled a lot trying to get RA3 online with C&C:Online launcher on a Linux machine (Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits).

By using nowadays Wine (https://www.winehq.org/) version ( 1.8.1), it is easily possible to run Red Alert 3 very, very, very well. I really got surprised by how really well C&C:Online launcher is also running through Linux. As far as I have tested with a retail copy, current wine can execute really well C&C:Online (take a look at the following log):

----- C&C:Online Launcher Start -----
Game: Red Alert 3
Red Alert 3 Install Path: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Red Alert 3\
Started game with: "RA3.exe "
Caught CREATE_PROCESS_DEBUG_EVENT from Red Alert 3. Detaching...
Found game.dat process. PID 107
*** Starting CA public key patching routine ***
CA public key is expected value.
Successfully patched CA public key.
*** Starting hostname hooking routine ***
Injecting DLL into game.dat process...
Result of injection: Code -1073741582

Such log result is very consistent and stable as far I tested with the retail version, but, due to some uknown (at least for me) Wine limitation, I could only past the RA3 splash screen only a couple of times (it's really rare to get the game past the splash screen: like 1% chance or even less). Anyway, at those rare times that I have been able to boot RA3, I could do everything normally in the "Online" part of the game (login, chatting, viewing rooms, creating a match, playing...), which means the code injection worked fine under wine.

Since by running RA3 without C&C:Online it allways boot up correctly (i.e. allways go past the splash-screen and runs fine). I was asking myself if it would be possible to inject the DLL into a game data file instead of a process running in memory or even by just getting all network packets the game sends to GameSpy Servers and redirecting them to Revora Servers...

#2 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  • Projects:Shatabrick C&C Player Database
  •  I have blue text?
  • Division:C&C:Online
  • Job:C&C:Online Leader

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

We're working on a different way of launching these games at the moment, without using a launcher. What I ought to do is to test that under Wine. I suspect that that method will work a lot better under Wine than using the launcher.

Gamereplays.org staff - Shatabrick admin.

#3 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

I think for RA3 I could patch the game on disk and give you the entries for the hosts file. However, this would be an unsupported solution and likely to break in the future when we change things. I can't do this before April, however.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users