Photo

Is playing online possible for Windows 10 users?

multiplayer windows10 online

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CalmPhill

CalmPhill
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:33 AM

In the MO control center, I made the HUGE mistake of pressing the 'Play on CnCNet button'. I got an error message asking me to remove the wsock32.dll file from the game directory for auto-update to work and told me to check my permissions (I did NOT remove it due to people saying removing is not possible or causes more problems). After this error came up, it caused even the single player mode to stop working (pressing the 'launch MO button' does nothing). I've been searching high and low for a fix to this bug and maybe I'm just missing something. I've seen posts say that reinstalling MO doesn't even fix the problem.

If I did get MO running again, could I use XWIS or Tunngle to play online with Windows 10? 

Edited by CalmPhill, 18 May 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#2 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  •  Parce mihi, Domine, quia Dalmata sum.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

(I did NOT remove it due to people saying removing is not possible or causes more problems)

Removing wsock32.dll may break LAN via the UDP protocol, but it shouldn't be acting like that. Set everything to run as administrator.

Administrator of CNCNZ.com and EVA Database, the C&C Wiki

You are also welcome to make use of my archives of official files:

C&C File Archive | BFME File Archive | Dune File Archive

#3 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

The CnCNet4 DLL supports LAN. The message is popped up if the UnderStorm LAN patch had been installed beforehand.

OP, open your Task Manager and look for processes called gamemd.exe or syringe.exe and kill them. Then retry.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#4 CalmPhill

CalmPhill
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:49 PM

(I did NOT remove it due to people saying removing is not possible or causes more problems)

Removing wsock32.dll may break LAN via the UDP protocol, but it shouldn't be acting like that. Set everything to run as administrator.

I watched this video 

and this video

in how to install MO properly. I set a lot of things to administrator, if the videos missed anything, I did as well. Also, just to be clear, so it's possible to play MO online for Windows 10? Anything to do with LAN doesn't really matter to me. 

The CnCNet4 DLL supports LAN. The message is popped up if the UnderStorm LAN patch had been installed beforehand.

OP, open your Task Manager and look for processes called gamemd.exe or syringe.exe and kill them. Then retry.

This will give me the ability to play online? Playing MO online was mostly the whole point of me giving the game a try. 

Edited by CalmPhill, 18 May 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#5 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

The one and only master of Scorpion Cell

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

Just do not launch game via cncnet. You should still be able to play on xwis tho.

#6 CalmPhill

CalmPhill
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

Just do not launch game via cncnet. You should still be able to play on xwis tho.

I just tried xwis. I clicked Multiplayer then when I clicked Custom Match and Quick Match, this message came up "The Westwood online support library is either missing or invalid. Please reinstall the shared internet components from your CD."

EDIT: I just found this http://xwis.net/foru...ng-or-invalid/ 

Apparently installing what he linked will fix the issue, but now I'm not sure where to install it. It automatically showed this location C:\Program Files (x86)Red Alert 2 to install it to, is this the right place?

Edited by CalmPhill, 18 May 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#7 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  •  Parce mihi, Domine, quia Dalmata sum.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

You can put the Shared Internet Components anywhere you like, they'll work wherever.

Administrator of CNCNZ.com and EVA Database, the C&C Wiki

You are also welcome to make use of my archives of official files:

C&C File Archive | BFME File Archive | Dune File Archive

#8 CalmPhill

CalmPhill
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:53 PM

You can put the Shared Internet Components anywhere you like, they'll work wherever.

Thanks! I went to Custom Match and was able to get into the lobby, but sadly I didn't see any players there and despite that, it automatically disconnects me from the server after 5 or 6 seconds anyway. 

So in conclusion there is zero Windows 10 users playing MO in all forms of online? Or should I try deleting the wsock32.dll file and give CnCnet another chance?

Edited by CalmPhill, 18 May 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#9 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

Dont. CnCnet4 is not going to work on windows 10. You will get more problems if you try to do that.

#10 CalmPhill

CalmPhill
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

Dont. CnCnet4 is not going to work on windows 10. You will get more problems if you try to do that.

Finally someone said it. CnCnet does NOT work with windows 10. That information should be put on the MO website in the Playing Online page imo. Is there any way I can contact the developers to ask them if and when Windows 10 users will be able to use CnCnet?

So the only way to play MO on CnCnet is on Windows 7 and 8.1?

Edited by CalmPhill, 18 May 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#11 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:31 PM

Currently yes, only Win7/8 users can play online on CnCnet4. However, CnCnet5 may allow Win10 users to also play online, however it might take time  untill it will be avaible for public in next release. All you can do for now is hoping to get someone on xwis and play, try campaign/skirmish or (most drastic method) revert your OS back to win 8/7 :V

#12 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:50 PM

What? Why doesn't CnCNet4 work on Win10? I've heard about this before, but never read a reason.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

#13 CalmPhill

CalmPhill
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:24 PM

Currently yes, only Win7/8 users can play online on CnCnet4. However, CnCnet5 may allow Win10 users to also play online, however it might take time  untill it will be avaible for public in next release. All you can do for now is hoping to get someone on xwis and play, try campaign/skirmish or (most drastic method) revert your OS back to win 8/7 :V

I recently bought a new hp laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled on it. I did a bit of research and from what I understand, it wouldn't be a good idea to downgrade it. I guess I just have to wait. Is there any release date for the next public release?

This really sucks, MO was the game I was most anticipating to play on my new PC. 

#14 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:52 AM

There is no current ETA for new version.

What? Why doesn't CnCNet4 work on Win10? I've heard about this before, but never read a reason.

I myself don't know why its not working on win 10.

#15 CalmPhill

CalmPhill
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

Well I got XWIS working, it's pretty easy to set up as long as you have a legit serial number to provide (and if you manage to enter it correctly, unlike I did at first). 

Problem is, it's a ghost town there. Any windows 10 users that want to play online can PM me, I'll be up for a game! 

#16 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

CnCNet4 wsock32.dll doesn't work on Win10. Having it in the game folder makes the game unable to launch.
CnCNet5 works differently, and the dll file can't be simply replaced with a compatible one.
ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

#17 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

Ah, thank you, I never heard about this... I mean I'm aware CnCNet4 and CnCNet5 differs a lot, but I was unaware that the CnCNet4 DLL prevents the game to run. Wow.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

#18 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

Yunru Kanegawa. Go figure. Go mental.

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega Almost Perfect Yunru's Revenge Version 3.0
  •  Why am I not in the Centurion?

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

Many weird things happen when a new operating system/upgrade to an operating system comes up. 

I count myself lucky I am not a programmer who finds himself with more maintenance work and at the mercy of OS makers.

(Great work, Ares and CnCNet developers by the way.)

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:
fbbutton.png ytbutton.png mdbutton.png dsbutton.png
IRC: #menthosogma (Rizon)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users