Imperial Fists - How would you do it?

56 replies to this topic

#1 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

So the LOTD got theory crafted into existance... now, how about the IF? I heard rumours that one of our own was making an IF mod... but no idea what happened - indeed it was one of the reasons I picked Salamanders.

So Fists... masters of Seige Warfare, patient, natural enemies to the Iron Warriors... apparently represented in TT by having slightly better bolters.

So, is seige warfare possible in DoW? What models would we need to make the IF sing - large numbers of vindicators, tarantulas, thunderfires... erm I have a non wrapped laser destroyer model somewhere, but that thing.

Tell me, tell me do - how would you do it?

#2 Odysseus95

Odysseus95
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

Well, my choice would be to include all kinds of siege exclusive units like Centurions and Ironclad Dreads with the siege drills besides the things you mentioned. The faction excels at taking down buildings and fortified positions in general, but is slow and expensive. Buffs focus on defense rather than offense, like Battlecry. These are the subtle details really. 

Otherwise, in-game, most Space Marines have similar playstyles anyway. You mostly get the same units, I mean. 

#3 jONES1979

jONES1979

eL-jONESON

• Members
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

I was stopped cause I was needed a Fellblade, badly.

Now I almost have it, the model only, without animations.

Forgeworld made the complete Siege Space Marine Army List, in one of Imperial Armour book.

---

Yes, Centurions are needed too.

Edited by jONES1979, 22 May 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#4 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

They are the most vanilla codex SM ever, reliable and strong. However the Astartes codex is not still completely represented in the original SM in Dow, hence the IF are a good chance for doing this.

I'd use the all the FOK (Medes, Meloo?) art: techmarine/tactical/assault/devastator/command squad (BB,company champion)/sternguard vet/vanguard vet/honour guard and so on, of course captain,chaplain,librarian,master of the forge and chapter master. Maybe bikes and for sure Land Raider Achilles and ironclad DN. Damocles too.

A good thing about these models is that at least for veteran sergeants you have the default banners with icons of fists, have you ever payed attention to this?

However I'd branch them like BA have been done: one branch codex-compliant and the other branch following the siege assault vanguard list made by Forgeworld. 

https://www.google.e...List_Update.pdf

The main differences with the standard are the lesser use of fast attack units and the addition of siege assault squads (which are virtually the assault squads but removing the jetpacks) and tactical marines with an upgrade of siege mantlets (large shield which confers them a lot of protection).

The only model that lacks and it's relevant is the centurion, which is an exosuit as a poor-man's version of the terminator armour (which is more ergonomic).

For the codex-branch it could be based on the Sentinels of Terra supplement. Nonetheless I'd rather prefer (personal choice) to keep them more impersonal to make room for all the sucessor chapters (except the ones which follow the Black templar ways) as teamcolours.

About the defensive aspect, I have seen that it's possible to have a building where units can pass through. This way I'd suggest to have a circular barricade (Aegis defense) building where marines can go in to gain extra cover (isn't DoW3 planning something like this?)

Edited by Roderick, 22 May 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#5 jONES1979

jONES1979

eL-jONESON

• Members
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

Nice TT tactics overview for FW Siege Vanguard army list https://1d4chan.org/...lt_Vanguard(7E)

Edited by jONES1979, 01 June 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#6 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:01 AM

jONES - Played your IF alpha - what was your design plans? What were the buttons for? I would assume no deepstrike at all.

There is now a fellblade model, albeit centurions are still not a thing.

There is also a sgt model with signum, which could probably be kitbashed onto the FC. Primarily a buff commander, with librarian as secondary buff commander.

Damocles - one off rhino with OB.

Seige Dreadnought squad - this may need to not be a squad.

Marines with shields - Need a giant shield, maybe arbites? Basic storm shield would do in a pinch. Need a kitbash. Cannot go in rhinos.

ASM - don't exist as such, well not jump pack ones. 

Vindicator

Land Raider Achilles - do we have one of these anywhere?

Thunderhawk..maybe.

Dammit. If there's an achilles knocking about I might be in. Need mantlets.

#7 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

The ASM would be replaced by a cc marine (siege vanguard). It could be kitbashed using some models of the BT with a shield or some of the ancient mark armour models. Alternatively, the veteran model of the c2c mod without the tabbard cloth it's a good candidate too. As a experimental thing, to remove the piece of jumpsuit and import walking animations for an ASM to create a jumpless version.

No bikes, yes to devastators. Terminators as honour guard and centurions available as terminators in other chapters?

I would keep the veteran slots as sternguard and vanguard veterans (ranged and cc) with a white helmet retexturing.

I have found some 3d model of a mantlet, just I need to find it. It could be put somehow as an upgrade but it takes some time to have it available to tactical squads.

Centurion models to be included in the future are available but neither animated, nor optimized. I will put the source later.

The Achilles LR is in the BT mod already but not used! Go go go!

Edited by Roderick, 05 January 2018 - 05:08 PM.

#8 Kasrkin84

Kasrkin84

title available

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Projects:Strongholds, Unification

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

As a experimental thing, to remove the piece of jumpsuit and import walking animations for an ASM to create a jumpless version.

Probably easier to just use the regular SM sergeant as a base and stick a helmet on it.

#9 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

yes, I was considering all the possibilities at hand. There are models of cc bolter&chainsword marines to fit the role. But no so many...

#10 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

The siege mantlet is this piece.

https://www.thingive...m/thing:1621940

The mesh there needs to be removed of the bolts or other marks to avoid excessive polygons but the shape is essentially that.

I think there was another version.

The complicated part is to attach it to a tactical marine, I assume that Max work is needed.

#11 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

The storm shield from the UA chapter master would do as a siege mantlet, I just can't find a suitable model to ffe it to... We need a modeller.

#12 Norwegian_Loki

Norwegian_Loki

title available

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • Projects:Dawn of War Modding

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

I have some pics of some cool skins that maybe can help. I will upload when I get home.

#13 Norwegian_Loki

Norwegian_Loki

title available

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

Edited by Norwegian_Loki, 08 January 2018 - 05:26 PM.

#14 jonnscc21

jonnscc21
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:46 AM

Wat game is this ? And those models are perfect

#15 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Men of war, the animations are not though!

#16 jonnscc21

jonnscc21
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Is it something I should look into?

#17 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Men of War is the not W40K game with the best mods on 40K I've seen. As far as I know the modelling is not easy although the devs provided a own modding tool to edit and create 3d.

#18 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

One of three wishes granted... Hopefully soon to be two of three. Any know of a land raider Prometheus?

#19 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

One of three wishes granted... Hopefully soon to be two of three. Any know of a land raider Prometheus?

If it's about the siege marine, just tell Kekoulis to share my recent answer with several points and examples. Also a proper thread to gather information and snowballing would be preferable.

LR prometheus... if isn't a Seregruth variant, probably not. But I have searched and it is not used by IF nor Red Scorpions. IF stay to with Achilles and RS to helios respectively. However Salamanders, Raven Guard or White scars are accounted for use it.

Edited by Roderick, 12 January 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#20 Norwegian_Loki

Norwegian_Loki

title available

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Is there any god explanation on what makes imperial fist unique on the web?  I been reading both wiki, but its very little about the standard army and it's unique assets.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users