Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Netflix has a new original called Stranger Things.  It's a very cool homage to 80's science fiction with fantastic props and graphics under a coat of modern drama.  Super good show.  The kids are a bit annoying, but I've gotten used to them after the first two episodes.  Also, the soundtrack is a to the b to the ccc.  Very good 80's score.

OH.  The show also takes places in Hawkins, Indiana.  That's not too far from my abode.  # hoosierpride #indy #riseofthe80s

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, been enjoying a few episodes of it so far, the intro sequence hits all those 80s show notes, the melancholy of the characters along with the drops of government conspiracy with telekinetic waif and whatever that monster is.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:24 PM

Ooph... you'll like the ending.  It sort of explains what the heck that thing is.  But I believe this show is done in the format of American Horror Story, and there will be a completely different story next season.  That's right... an 80's THEMED AMERICAN HORROR STORY.  Genius.  Take me away, gods of synth.

#4 Pavey(Thrandy)

Pavey(Thrandy)
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Projects:Nothing
  •  Toilet

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

I am hooked to it's Main Theme.It really feels like 80's SCI-FI like Terminator,Universal soldier etc. it also has a TRON Vibe.If you played FarCry 3 Blood Dragon you know they took inspiration from it.Like it's sooooo hearable.

Here's one Soundtrack from Blood Dragon (It's taken from Terminator but edited)

Edited by Thrandy, 26 July 2016 - 06:58 PM.

'We Fixed the Thrandy bug.Don't reimplement the Thrandy bug,Pasidon.' - Dunedain Ranger , RiderOfRohan

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:51 PM

Uhh... I don't think they really took inspiration from Blood Dragon, Thrandy.  You see, there was this lovely thing called the 80's.  It was really really real.

But yes, both of those things have soundtracks that make me cry tears of space and time justice.  You should go watch Stranger Things.  There's a bit more than an awsome title screen.

#6 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:44 AM

finished it the day it came out. i thought it was a good series overall. maybe a season 2?

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

Absolutely season 2.  These Netflix originals are annual things.  But like I said, I think each season is going to be a completely different story.

#8 thebolshevik88

thebolshevik88
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

It's ok. It's also very cliche with the kid with magic powers etc.. That said the cinematography and acting are fantastic and the art direction is clean and simple. It kind of feels a bit 'dumbed down', but that's most likely to make it a bit more accessible. 

I've nearly finished the 1st series but getting bored quickly. Series 2 would be interesting to see- if they are all grown up in it. 

Edited by thebolshevik88, 27 July 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

Yea, I do think the story would have more potential if it wasn't about nosy children.  The directors were obviously influenced by cheesy 80's fantasy flicks that had focuses around children making their way in a very adult world.  Never Ending Story, The Navigator, Karate Kid, E.T.... those worked for what they were because they were quick 2 hour pieces.  An entire season with nosy children who swear a lot loses its charm very quickly.  Unless it's a rendition of A Boy and his Dog, I don't want to see quirky children thrown into serious roles as star characters.

#10 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

I enjoyed this.

http://nerdist.com/a...adventure-game/