Photo

Red Alert 3 Paradox: Can it ever be made in YR engine?

unfinished mod ares red alert 3 yuris revenge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Jovian

The Jovian
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

Approximately two years and seven months ago, Infinity Realms, the team behind the massively ambitious Red Alert 3 mod "Paradox" (and also behind the hopefully still upcoming retro-FPS Bloodcrusher II) announced that they have ceased production on the mod for among other reasons the RNA engine being about as flexible as me trying to do the wave dance thingy and as easy to mod as... well every other PC game made by EA in the last 10 years.

I propose a question to the C&C community: Can this mod be finished, but using the Yuri's Revenge engine, enhanced with Ares?

Personally I don't really know, I'm not a modder and I don't know the first thing about coding but based on what I've seen others do with Ares I can see them going pretty far. Not Order of Talon's Base on Wheels/MOBA-style Veterancy-far but definitely Mediterranean Syndicate's Auras, Electrical Protectorate's Weapon Modules/Killer Economy and Atomic Kingdom of China's Super Defenses-far.

#2 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

Definitely not. Paradox was relying on a lot of features the YR engine lacks - unit ability buttons, individual queues, separate building methods - and a lot of these will probably never happen in Ares due to obvious reasons - complexity of getting these working.

If and if (I can't stress this if enough) there is a chance to make Paradox happen, my vote would be that it would happen on OpenRA, but even that one lacks a lot of the features. The difference between OpenRA and Ares here though is that OpenRA is a lot more flexible in terms of feature development. I don't say it will happen nor I say that it's possible - I have no idea about 75% of Paradox's plans -, but that probably would be a more feasible choice than Ares. Although even OpenRA would rely on cell-based logics and not complete 3D ones regarding positions and whatnot compared to RA3's 3D engine.

Ares is a pinnacle, but you cannot expect RA3 from it.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#3 The Jovian

The Jovian
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

Definitely not. Paradox was relying on a lot of features the YR engine lacks - unit ability buttons, individual queues, separate building methods - and a lot of these will probably never happen in Ares due to obvious reasons - complexity of getting these working.

If and if (I can't stress this if enough) there is a chance to make Paradox happen, my vote would be that it would happen on OpenRA, but even that one lacks a lot of the features. The difference between OpenRA and Ares here though is that OpenRA is a lot more flexible in terms of feature development. I don't say it will happen nor I say that it's possible - I have no idea about 75% of Paradox's plans -, but that probably would be a more feasible choice than Ares. Although even OpenRA would rely on cell-based logics and not complete 3D ones regarding positions and whatnot compared to RA3's 3D engine.

Ares is a pinnacle, but you cannot expect RA3 from it.

I wasn't suggesting that Infinity Realms try to make the mod as they intended to make it for RA3, I was wondering how close they could've got it if they tried to work with the limitations of YR/Ares as opposed to RNA, even if it meant removing some gameplay features like the different build methods (although someone has figured out how to do the Nanocore build method in YR/Ares, which could also potentially be used for the Talon's base on wheels gameplay with some changes of course), the unit secondary abilities (some of which can be argued could do using the unit "deploy" logic) and the multiple queues.

I do agree with you that OpenRA is probably the mod's best shot at ever being finished although I still believe that with YR/Ares they would've gone much farther than with RNA even if it means redoing the gameplay to be more in line with RA2.

Best case scenario for the mod in my opinion is that Infinity Realms' indie shooter Bloodcrusher II ends up becoming a indie superhit on par with something like Rogue Legacy or Fez or Shovel Knight, giving the team enough money to just make Paradox its own original IP. Wouldn't that be awesome? Sure they might need to do some writing around trademarks, renaming a few factions or outright replacing them with some from the Paradox Expanded Universe (fingers crossed for the Imilki Ecumene), and toning down the references to C&C lore but if the core gameplay remains intact I would definitely buy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users