C&C3 & Kane's Wrath Don't Launch When Hooked

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahsauce

Sarahsauce
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

I've been wanting to play with a friend and also try out a mod that hopefully works for C&C3. So I'll start by saying that I checked and followed the "Common Issues and Solutions" thread and tried to apply its fixes. There is no prompt when clicking the 'hook' option, and I have no antivirus .. only windows defender which I even briefly disabled.

- Steam version, Windows 7. No error message at all. No GameRanger, Hamachi, Etc!

- I made a desktop icon which I hooked (no prompt), and launched through C&C online, AND by using Shortcut too

- This problem has persisted for many months now actually, and I gave up on it a few times, but now decided to ask

- A copy downloaded off the internet (hey it's probably legal, I own the game!) did hook and launch flawlessly

Perhaps there might be a fix for this that I wasn't made aware of. I skimmed through these posts but no answer to my problem seemed to be here.

A friend told me to check the error log..? I found CNCOnline_Log:

"ERROR: game.dat process not found."

Thanks for reading! :)

Edited by Sarahsauce, 03 September 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#2 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  • Projects:Shatabrick C&C Player Database
  •  I have blue text?
  • Division:C&C:Online
  • Job:C&C:Online Leader

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:50 PM

Hi. Please could you post the whole of the error log. That will tell us what executable the launcher tried to launch, which may well be the issue here.

Gamereplays.org staff - Shatabrick admin.

#3 Sarahsauce

Sarahsauce
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

That was the entire error log, but after several reboots of steam and the game, re-launching C&C Online a few times.. I started getting the following:

"Failed to start game (unknown error)" .. And I think that's great news? Because it filled up the log with this stuff:

----- C&C:Online Launcher Start -----
Game: Kane's Wrath
Kane's Wrath Install Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Command and Conquer 3 - Kane's Wrath\
Started game with: "CNC3EP1.exe "
Caught CREATE_PROCESS_DEBUG_EVENT from Kane's Wrath. Detaching...
ERROR: game.dat process not found.

#4 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:52 AM

OK. If you unhook and then try to launch directly from Steam, does the game load and play correctly?

In the mean time, you could try unhooking and removing the shortcut you made, run Steam as administrator, make a new shortcut, hook again and try to launch from the new shortcut.

#5 Sarahsauce

Sarahsauce
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

Same error I'm afraid, doesn't even place anything in the log. I notice C&C Online's desktop shortcut often has a little loading bar as if updating when I launch it, and then moves to the default position for new programs as opposed to staying in its designated space >.> ..  This is not much to work with I'm afraid.

#6 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

Can you clarify, it you launch directly from Steam without being hooked, the game does not launch? If that is the case, you need to take the matter up with Steam. Once you are able to launch the game, we'll help you get online.

#7 newbitronology

newbitronology
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

I know that she can run the game without having CNC Online involved at all, she's broadcast over steam for me while trying to solve these issues. Its only been while trying to play together on multiplayer that its been an issue!

#8 Sarahsauce

Sarahsauce
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

Indeed! It works when it isn't hooked ;) With C&C online, the splash screen pops up but that's it.

#9 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

Alright. Can you try this (more of a diagnostic than a solution): Unhook the game then launch again via Steam without the launcher but do not try to log in (just leave it at the opening screen). Then open the launcher and hit the Kane's Wrath button. Then try to go online from (the already open) game. Could you let me know what happens and post the error log?

#10 Sarahsauce

Sarahsauce
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply!

I've launched the game through steam & then launched C&C Online while it's open. Tried that twice, and I also launched through the desktop link! Neither worked, the game activates & then freezes immediately once I click Kane's Wrath on the C&C Online.

----- C&C:Online Launcher Start -----
Game: Kane's Wrath
Kane's Wrath Install Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Command and Conquer 3 - Kane's Wrath\
Started game with: "CNC3EP1.exe "
Caught CREATE_PROCESS_DEBUG_EVENT from Kane's Wrath. Detaching...
Found game.dat process. PID 6092
*** Starting CA public key patching routine ***
CA public key is expected value.
Successfully patched CA public key.
*** Starting hostname hooking routine ***
Injecting DLL into game.dat process...
Result of injection: Code -1073741595

The debug was always the same, except that the PID changes numbers.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users