Thingiverse Warhammer 40k models

16 replies to this topic

#1 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

I've found a page where people make models in stl format to be 3D printed. Particularly there are some figures and vehicles for 40k

More interesting even, some of them should be very familiar for all of you. Look at this collection (there are several, not only this) and see the tau, kroot, chaos warlord and the Steel Legion models.

http://www.thingiver.../figuren/page:1

All of them are released under Creative Commons license, specifically:

• Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • for any purpose, even commercially.
  •  
  • The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
  • Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

• No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

What bugs me it's if the models are really taken from DoW content and its mods. And what if eventually can take them for any purpose, even commercial.

On the other hand, I've found models that aren't present yet in the pool. There's a centurion one and a centaur vehicle as long as I remember.

Edited by Roderick, 29 September 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#2 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

More on this topic. If eventually somebody wants to use the stl files (or whatever CAD model) and still they're too high poly for a videogame, I've found this page

http://3dfilemarket....elling-tutorial

which talks about a FREE program called http://www.meshmixer.com/

The idea is this:

Low poly modelling is the altering of an stl file so that the model appears triangulated. With an stl file being made up of thousands of tiny triangles to form a mesh around a model. To create a low poly model you simply need to make these triangles larger and more pronounced. Even though this results in a less detailed model, the outcome is ‘low poly’ in its appearance.

I am inexpert on this but I'll try and some of you also could to see if there's some usefulness. Of course rigging, texturing and animation are the heavy part but some models can be blueprinted without starting from scratch.

Edited by Roderick, 29 September 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#3 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

I've found a page where people make models in stl format to be 3D printed. Particularly there are some figures and vehicles for 40k

You know this sort of thing is incredibly frowned upon, since you're essentially stealing 40k models?

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#4 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

Well, this was the reason I checked the license and tried to see the origin of them, and also I commented that some models shown here are particularly similar to those which appears in DoW and in Steel Legion Mod (indeed they are the same from my point of view).

I think that in any case, it should be frowned upon by the modelers who did the models for DoW in first place and not in the opposite direction. Who is stealing to whom?

About the rest of models, I don't know if they are the original prototypes of GW of Forgeworld that somehow were stolen or original CAD to stl models people do instead.

Not sure if your message was in that direction or you were more fussy about the 3d printing purpose, which effectively makes GW losing sells. I was just considering to use them as blueprints for modding if they are made from scratch and shared to be used and modified with author credits.

Edited by Roderick, 29 September 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#5 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:28 AM

My objection was only towards the 3D printing aspect of it.

It doesn't matter what license the uploaders put on it - if it was made with the intention of having it printed, then that's directly stealing money Games Workshop would otherwise have made in model sales. If it's just intended for the purpose of modding, however, I'd argue they're in the clear - that said, Thingiverse seems very much a site dedicated to printing.

#6 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

Gw need to get on board this and start selling blue prints or adapt anyway. Their ridiculous pricing seems to have lost them a great deal of the market to rivals. This cannot be stopped, although I wonder how much per model it costs to print.

Also, their are lots lifted from dow, so new models I guess would be a problem. There are models that are clearly stand ins for things though, which could be generic enough to survive.

Brave new world.

#7 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

Their ridiculous pricing seems to have lost them a great deal of the market to rivals. This cannot be stopped, although I wonder how much per model it costs to print. 

I'm not so sure. True, their obscene pricing has allowed independent model retailers to develop, however they are still the top dogs across most of the world, and their recent actions and releases seem to show they're finally listening to what people are saying.

#8 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

They may even bring back necromunda ^^

#9 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

My point of view and interest is only related to game modding, not printing. And if there are 3D models made from scratch which can potentially be used into games somehow, I don't see any reason to not to. Much better than using ripped or backported content from other games, indeed. That's the reason I also posted a free tool to decrease the polycount just in case.

What I see odd is the fact that game models can be printed as a replacement for GW or FW figures; you can identify clearly kroot and tau models which belong to Dawn of War. Even odder is the fact that 3d models from a mod -like those of the Steel legion- can be put under a license that allows commercial use, because, unless the uploader is the same author of the mod, is like appropriating the work of someone else for a purpose different to the original.

Anyway I understand that in competitions people would identify clearly if the figures are original or that come from another source. Probably many official tournaments would not allow them.

Edited by Roderick, 03 October 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#10 fuggles

fuggles

title available

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:33 PM

Ultimately they can't, they cannot appropriate someone's model or open themselves up to being sued.

#11 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:31 PM

I reuse this thread to comment that some 3d scans of 40k miniatures are being posted for free in a sketchfab website.

Being obj files of a certain weight (around several MB) I don't know exactly the treatment they could need to be used, either by parts or rigging the mesh, retexturing etc. The taks to get a low poly version maybe it's colossal but I still believe that as a blueprint they have certain potential.

Nonetheless there are very interesting models: besides two Primaris marines (by now), there are the very recent new Lord of Contagion of the Death Guard, a couple of Bullgryns and a impressive Forgefiend

https://sketchfab.co...n.armeni/models

#12 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

Oh boy, people are amazing!

The newest miniature for the Death Guard, the Plague Crawler, some kind of mortar tank, has been already shaped!

It's here: https://www.thingive...m/thing:2533100

#13 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

Looks like a Renegade Bombard.

Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#14 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

more or less, but it is curvy like a beetle. It's called "Plagueburst crawler"

plagueburst-crawler.jpg

For your interest, this was the old alternative to a mortar/howitzer engine of Nurgle, the Contagion, a kind of odd trebuchet.

contagion-plague-engines.jpg

Edited by Roderick, 14 September 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#15 jONES1979

jONES1979

eL-jONESON

• Members
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

Another fun thing http://www.cs.nott.a...uter-prevrascha

#16 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Another option to eventually make Primaris models, these models made in stl format to print. I think they are very accurate to the depictions both in proportion and details

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2591847

And the Death Guard can potentially have now the bloat drones, albeit a proxy

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2679816

800px-BloatDroneMinis.jpg

#17 Roderick

Roderick

3d models loota

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

Finally someone made a Wyvern suppression tank!

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2771665

Edited by Roderick, 07 February 2018 - 05:15 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users