Suddenly disconnecting after game start

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Warbear

Warbear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:48 PM

A problem came up very suddenly a couple of days ago. My buddy and I had been playing a game almost every day, then suddenly we'd get a disconnect pop up (with the vote thing) right after starting up a multiplayer game. I hadn't changed anything in the game or the router settings.

I did a deinstall/reinstall of the game, checked the router, UDP ports, game exe settings, IP address in options.ini, all per the instructions on this site. The damn thing just keeps disconnecting immediately after game start. I tried to play with another player online, and it did the same thing. What else should I check?

#2 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  • Projects:Shatabrick C&C Player Database
  •  I have blue text?
  • Division:C&C:Online
  • Job:C&C:Online Leader

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

You'd have to remind us which game that is. Was it Zero Hour? Are you sure you're running the game as administrator?

Gamereplays.org staff - Shatabrick admin.

#3 Warbear

Warbear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:41 AM

You'd have to remind us which game that is. Was it Zero Hour? Are you sure you're running the game as administrator?

Yes and yes, along with XP compatibility and Origin in game turned off.

The only thing I can think of is that I ran an unpack program on the .big file with the ZHmaps, but I put the unpacked maps in a different directory. I did, however, de/reinstall the game completely after that, in case I dicked with something. Still doesn't work. The unpacked maps are in a subdirectory where the other add-on maps are. I hadn't edited any of the official maps yet. 

#4 Warbear

Warbear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Last night, I tried to play with a buddy online again. First, I checked my Windows Firewall exceptions, and I temporarily turned AVG OFF. Still didn't work.

#5 Warbear

Warbear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:37 PM

Did I read correctly that the options.ini needs to have the local IP address of the computer in the IP address locations?

It now has:

AntiAliasing = 1
BuildingOcclusion = yes
CampaignDifficulty = 0
DynamicLOD = yes
ExtraAnimations = yes
GameSpyIPAddress = 0.0.0.0
Gamma = 50
HeatEffects = yes
IPAddress = 0.0.0.0
IdealStaticGameLOD = Low
LanguageFilter = false
MaxParticleCount = 5000
MusicVolume = 70
Resolution = 1024 768
Retaliation = yes
SFX3DVolume = 70
SFXVolume = 70
ScrollFactor = 60
SendDelay = no
ShowSoftWaterEdge = yes
ShowTrees = yes
StaticGameLOD = Custom
TextureReduction = 0
UseAlternateMouse = yes
UseCloudMap = yes
UseDoubleClickAttackMove = no
UseLightMap = yes
UseShadowDecals = yes
UseShadowVolumes = yes
VoiceVolume = 70

this is in the directory where the game is located, the "command and conquer generals zero hour" directory, under Origin

#6 Warbear

Warbear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:41 AM

Solved it. I reinstalled C&Conoline. Game worked online tonight

#7 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

Hold on. You mean you reinstalled Zero Hour? You shouldn't be using the C&C:Online launcher at all to launch Zero Hour.

#8 Warbear

Warbear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

I'm not using it to launch Zero Hour. I reinstalled Zero Hour a few days ago, and there was no change. I reinstalled C&C Online launcher last night, and the game worked for the first time in several days.

#9 MarlboroRed

MarlboroRed
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:23 AM

Had the same problem, it just disappeared for me out of nowhere without changing anything. It's odd.

#10 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

Solved it. I reinstalled C&Conoline. Game worked online tonight

I'm not using it to launch Zero Hour. I reinstalled Zero Hour a few days ago, and there was no change. I reinstalled C&C Online launcher last night, and the game worked for the first time in several days.

That is very strange indeed. Strange but good.  :smile2ap:

#11 Warbear

Warbear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

I spoke too soon. We got one game in on Friday, and another last night. When we tried a second game, we got the disconnect problem twice in a row and gave up. This problem seems intermittent. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

I can always get onto the server and in the lobbies. I can always create a game, and see my buddy online and he can join. The only problem seems to be when the game starts and you try to start building. It always happens 5-10 seconds into the game, and it won't reconnect.

#12 Warbear

Warbear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:49 PM

We got one game in last night, and it worked without a problem. Very strange.

Since this is happening at the point where I need to connect with my friend, I have to think that the problem has to do with the part of the game that connects players. The main server might not be the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users