NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:48 AM

Hello fellow followers and friends,

As I stated a long time ago, after I announced the hiatus of the mod, that I still have something to show you. And I was not lying because it is here, the Erebor Gate, and with the help of my invaluable friend and colleague from SEE, MattTheLegoman, we managed to get it in an unbelievable map of enormous scale!

I cannot express in words how excited I am, and also I think it is the same for Matt who worked closely with me, to release this to public and officially announce that this will be present in the next release as a bonus part for Dwarf fans.

As you can probably guess, my part in this was the Erebor's Gate's model and texture along with the big statues before it and of course the Iron Hills soldiers we have seen before in pictures of the mod. The gate is immense and created on original movie-size but for the map it was scaled to 0.40 to actually fit it.

Matt spent dozens, hundreds of hours spent on the map design, texture, cliff design and putting all the stuff together and also the animations we see in the video. All videos are captured by him and edited by me. However you will see a more plain video of the gate shortly, the original video made by Matt (like a Director's Cut).

Speaking of that the map will also be used for SEE's Director's Cut only with a different perspective on the gate and possible another gate model (so that means I'll probably be less involved in that).

The funny part of the story is at at first the Gate and the Map have been started in parallel and we didn't know of the each other's existence until we finally talked about it. So I had a Gate, Matt had a map so we said "yeah let's bring them together!".

So before I let you enjoy this short preview of the map, I would like to thank a lot Matt for his extreme effort in making this happen (a help that I'm very sure without it this probably wouldn't have happen) and expect some more screenies with the map and gate soon.

Matt's original Director's Cut

NewErr and MattTheLegoman

Edited by NewErr, 21 November 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:56 AM

It was a fantastic opportunity to work on this map! And it is a real showcase of what happens when modders work together and with their skills. =D

For clarification on the sizing of the gate, this superstructure is larger than anything ever seen in The Battle for Middle-earth. This meant that the terrain was very difficult to create. In Worldbuilder, it is impossible to paint or sculpt the terrain, a little bit above the height of the gate, which meant it needed to be painted and sculpted before lifting it up. My Erebor map has a mountain .6 km tall, or 2000 feet, including foothills, 0 is set at the river surrounding Dale. I'll discuss the technicalities about the map later. ;)

Also note, that I am looking for someone to assist me in creating Dale structures, I'm already working on the assets for inside Erebor but Dale is much more tricky.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 21 November 2016 - 03:38 PM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

Awesome work guys :)

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#4 Dark Lord

Dark Lord

title available

• Project Team
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

Beautifull!!! al last!! found something incredibly well done ​

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

I am in awe.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#6 Dark Lord

Dark Lord

title available

• Project Team
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

It was a fantastic opportunity to work on this map! And it is a real showcase of what happens when modders work together and with their skills. =D

For clarification on the sizing of the gate, this superstructure is larger than anything every seen in The Battle for Middle-earth. In Worldbuilder, it is impossible to paint or sculpt the terrain, a little bit above the height of the gate, which meant it needed to be painted and sculpted before lifting it up. My Erebor map has a mountain .6 km tall, or 2000 feet, including foothills, 0 is set at the river surrounding Dale. I'll discuss the technicalities about the map later. ;)

Also note, that I am looking for someone to assist me in creating Dale structures, I'm already working on the assets for inside Erebor but Dale is much more tricky.

The mountain has internal chambers ,? And depths?

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

This map is a campaign map. ;) Erebor deserves more than one map, oh yes!

This is the original cinematic film.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#8 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

For the purpose of what RC MOD will use this map for it does not need an interior but Matt has plan for another elaborate map also! :p

Edit: Also added Matt's video to the first post.

Edited by NewErr, 21 November 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#9 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:58 AM

Wow excellent job on the gate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users