• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:13 PM

The Big Reveal: A New Identity

2QcZhF9.png

After months of consideration, we have finally decided to change our mod's name: The Horse Lords is now Age of the Ring. We feel our ambitions for this project have outgrown the old name.

Age of the Ring is a name that encapsulates what we want to do: present, as a RotWK mod, Middle-earth during the last days of the Third Age, also known as the Age of the Ring, in as many ways as we can manage:

• Factions and gameplay inspired by The Hobbit films, such as Erebor, Gundabad, and Mirkwood, and campaign missions based on Thorin's Quest.
  • Factions and gameplay inspired by The Lord of the Rings films, such as Gondor, Rohan, Mordor, and Isengard.
  • Lots of things inspired by things that only appeared in Tolkien's books - a range of Gondorian Fiefdom units and heroes, book-inspired Lothlórien, Rivendell, and Haradwaith factions, and dozens of nerdy nods and tidbits.

qHfv9uc.png

post-3683-0-74799200-1480870001_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-58233000-1480870006_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-12406400-1480870012_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-84050000-1480870016_thumb.pn

post-3683-0-45778100-1480871678_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-27255600-1480871683_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-24053700-1480871689_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-99749900-1480871696_thumb.pn

qHfv9uc.png

Build Anywhere! Gameplay and Balance in Age of the Ring

Age of the Ring aims to mesh Middle-earth immersion with existing RotWK gameplay conventions.

The mod is based on the excellent RotWK 2.02 community patch, meaning that we've started off on an expertly balanced and smooth version of RotWK.

We're not out to completely overhaul the game's basic systems: we like most of those, including the ability to build anywhere.

However, we are bringing back some systems from BFME1, such as combo hordes.

The mod founder, RiderOfRohan, is an avid competitive player, which translates to a real effort to keep AotR fair and balanced.

qHfv9uc.png

post-3683-0-17065100-1480874238_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-33014500-1480874244_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-92747800-1480874249_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-16881800-1480874255_thumb.pn

post-3683-0-00804400-1480878044_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-39547400-1480878053_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-70674100-1480878058_thumb.pn   post-3683-0-65157700-1480878722_thumb.pn

qHfv9uc.png

Our Release Schedule

Like most mods, we don't work with release dates. However, we have set a certain order for factions to be released. Below is our release schedule, as far as it's currenty decided:

1. Demo release. Alpha Gondor, alpa Isengard, Mordor.
  2. Second release: "Over the Misty Mountains Cold". Misty Mountains faction, finished Gondor, Isengard, and Mordor factions.
  3. Third release: "In the Land of Lórien". Lothlórien faction.
  4. Fourth release: "The Line of Dúrin". Erebor faction, first campaign mission.

Meet the Team!

RiderOfRohan: "19 year old donut, leader of Age of the Ring and a big fan of Peter Jackson's six Middle-Earth films"

Dúnedain76: Even after losing half of his assets he made for The Horse Lords after a hard drive failure, Dúnedain is still sticking around for some reason. 21 year old poor college student fuckboi.

Mathijs: "26 years old, male, staving off the clutches of existential horror one LotR-related 3d model at a time. Also The3rdAge.net leader."

Vengefulnoob: "Just a guy who figured out .ini coding through trial and error, mostly error. Now helping out his Revorian
heroes and happy to be a part of the THL team!"

Fredius: "I'm 21 years old, male, and have been a part of the Battle for Middle-Earth modding community since 2009. I can be found on Revora Forums (under the name of Bashkuga), ModdB and Modding Union. My role in the Age of the Ring mod is that of mapper (mainly scripter for missions) and beta-tester."

Glorfindel23: "17 years old, male, I can be found on Revora Forums, Modding Union, and ModDB under the name Glorfindel23. My role in Age of the Ring is principally to release some additional maps fortress, but I'm a little connoisseur in modding and coding."

Want to help out?

We are always looking for new talent to help us develop this ambitious project. If you think you've got something we need, contact RiderOfRohan or MathijsRevora.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#2 Dark Lord

Dark Lord

title available

• Project Team
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

It seems interesting the proposal unify several options of mod, or also combine styles to have a more homogeneous mod

#3 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Online Admin

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

Good luck, nice project run by great people!

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

#4 Pavey(Thrandy)

Pavey(Thrandy)
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Projects:Nothing
  •  Toilet

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:19 PM

I'm going to make some fine-ass screenshots with the shaders when you release this.

'We Fixed the Thrandy bug.Don't reimplement the Thrandy bug,Pasidon.' - Dunedain Ranger , RiderOfRohan

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

Please don't. Your shaders gave me nightmares.

#6 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:22 AM

Good luck younglings.

#7 Ectheldir

Ectheldir
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:50 PM

May, I ask, why you decided to have three different elf-factions? That just seems... well... to be a lot of elves.

I imagine that they all could be pretty similar. Is there such a large difference between an elven swordsman from Lorien and one from Rivendell? Or a bowman from both?

I fear that they will end up pretty boring.

#8 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:33 PM

Who says Lorien has swordsmen? Who says Rivendell has bowmen? Just wait and see what is planned for the faction, and don't worry, everything will be as unique as possible ;).

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:02 AM

The fact that these 3 factions are all Elven is just background info, really. Their mechanics and features are all about as different as any other faction would be.

#10 Ectheldir

Ectheldir
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

Oh, well. If you say they will be different, I will just trust you for now. :whathuh:

When looking at whats already there, I am assured that they at least won't look boring.

#11 Antonis Tsexos

Antonis Tsexos
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

Nice mod but where is rohan?

#12 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

Where is the horn that was blowing?

#13 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

Where is the helm and hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?

(We're not sure when Rohan will be worked on, but they will be in the mod)

Edited by Bashkuga, 18 March 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#14 KenChristopher

KenChristopher
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Projects:N/A for Games, Sharp Eye for Business

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

Nice description. May I ask? Is this mod will change the power points as well and the models of the structures?

#15 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

I must say...

I tried this mod for the first time yesterday... Playtested several factions, looking for unique additions - and was completely drowned with them.  Blown away actually... This is truly a megalodon of a mod, a beast of burden, a monumental mile stone in modding (I could go on  :smile2ap: ). But in short, I'm just really impressed. Suddenly my SEE mod seems a bit, narrow  :whathuh: If I would to pad myself on the shoulder, I'd say that I am pretty decent at modeling (even though I suck at keeping them low poly) and I have a very high attention to detail, in both models and FX where I put extra effort in "realism" for fire, smoke, dust, splashes etc. In that last aspect, I see some things that I would definitely edit in AotR. But as far as models go, I simply can't match this outstanding ability of making low poly models look high poly. You guys truly excel in this area. Also rigging and animations. Your models, their textures and animations just look like professional studio models and you put EA to shame basically. I'm especially impressed by your Erebor, Iron Hills and Misty Mountains models and factions. Those are the factions I've been working on myself the past few years (!), but my models suffer from high poly count  :whatoa: Your dwarves in particular is just perfect in every way, AND low poly. Also, your new structures are amazing in both design, details and texture quality. Not ot mention the sheer number of them. 

In short - well done guys!  :thumbsupcool:

Let me know if you want any of my models in your mod  <^_^

Edited by Nazgûl, 25 November 2019 - 05:11 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:33 PM

What ho! I am an old BFME II player. I was a tester for @Nazgûl's SEE and @robnkarla's RJ-RotWK, dunno if anyone remembers anymore. Probably not, since that was loong, long ago. :p (Not even my signature is there anymore xD)

Recently people recommended me this mod, and I got back in touch with this neglected game I loved so much. After some time beating the Brutal AIs from patch 2.02, I tried AotR at last.  I have no words to describe how absolutely baffled I am. After playing through a bit of War of the Ring (my favourite BFME II game mode) as Rohan, I thought well, this is a decent BFME II: RotWK mod.

Then I went to try the campaign, just for the nostalgia. Oh boy, it's been some time since those sessions of long hours playing a game, yet I just kept on pressing "Next Mission" to see what was going to happen next. Weathertop was perhaps a bit dull, and thought my amazement was gonna go down from there. Then came the Rivendell missions, and I was overwhelmed. Then the Fellowship travel mission, with the fight against Celebrimbor and avalanches falling down, then the Moria missions, and my jaw just kept dropping.

My only regret is that I'm still playing on my old computer from the 2000's, and can only run on low-medium graphics. But it was very, very worth it. I've already played a few hours, as I said, and I can still scarcely believe it. The work all of this must have taken. Perhaps you can help me, because I want to go on, but got stuck in Lothlórien; I've destroyed all goblin caves, but waves just keep coming and nothing else happens. :D Nearly all elven heroes are lvl10 with so many goblins they've killed. :smile2ap:

Kudos to everyone involved in this project! :thumbsuphappy:  If I can help in any way, let me know! (Already got a few bugs to report)

Edited by Xingdao Fan, 21 December 2019 - 03:35 PM.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#17 Shele

Shele
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 03:18 PM

Hi, I have found 1 shit problem when I play war of the ring with Isengard.

Uruk-hai Man-Slayers are -missing- from Uruk pit- in War of the Ring mode, it is a massive cripple for Isengard.
While for example in Dol-Guldur same type of unit, it means maximum 3 heroic unit - Armored Castellan can be build. 

Also if I take Ring from Golum I cant build Ring Hero in fortress, same on world map Necromacer is gray all the time, but here maybe Im wrong about that, didnt look that much in to it.

#18 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:28 PM

I was absent for ~1 year, and now I was trying to find a thread about the new Woodland Realm update, but since I didn't find it, I'll just leave generous praise right here. You do realize how much I love you guys for continuing to develop this project? <^_^  Thanks once more, you are miracle workers! Can't wait to try out the new factions.

(Woah, looks like my old signature is sort-of-back! :grin: Whom do I have to thank for this?)

Edited by Xingdao Fan, 05 December 2020 - 06:29 PM.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users