rotwk unofficial patch 2.02 mod

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 grunshac

grunshac
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hey guys i have recently installed the unofficial patch 2.02 for rotwk and i want to mod it a little bit but i dont know what should i mod cuz thare are a lot of .big files. Could i possibly merge all of them in one ini that would work ? (i have tried it but it didnt work)

Edited by grunshac, 21 January 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

I also tried extracting all the .big files in order and got terribly lost and confused. Would you like someone to do this for you, I don't think I should post it publicly, since it is lots of other people's hard work. But it is essential for a modder basing their mod on the fan balance patches.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 grunshac

grunshac
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

So what should i do ? If you or anyone else can merge all those files in order to work would be great cuz im not that good at modding. I am open to other alternatives also.

#4 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

It involves extracting all the necessary RotWK .big files in reverse alphabetical order, and keep on going through all the 2.02 .big files. In Windows 10 Explorer click on the View tab and then Sort by and then check Name and Descending, that will give you the files that you need to extract one by one in order.

You'll need 2.02 installed and correctly patched in order for this to work. And don't extract the .disabled files. There are probably some .big files you don't need to disable, but for caution's sake, I will be extracting all the .big files, all of them.

I am 90% this is the right way of doing this. =p

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#5 grunshac

grunshac
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

i extracted all .big files (not disabled ones) in one folder, edited the shortcut, but i get an error WildHeavyArmorNew upgrade is not an upgrade in wildgoblinarcher.ini. I found out that this appears in ######unofficialpatch202_v4.0.0.big i fixed it but same error. I extraced all .big files again except that one but same error. Im confused :(

#6 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, I'm confused too, perhaps someone else can enlighten us!

#7 Brabox

Brabox
  • Project Team
  • 20 posts
  •  Lord of Idiots

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Hey guys i have recently installed the unofficial patch 2.02 for rotwk and i want to mod it a little bit but i dont know what should i mod cuz thare are a lot of .big files. Could i possibly merge all of them in one ini that would work ? (i have tried it but it didnt work)

Hi Grunshac, I'm Brabox from the 2.02 staff.

The easiest way to make a mod based on 2.02, is simply make a new .big file in which you include the ini files you want to change.

However, it'll be hard to find where the most recent version of each file is. They're not all in the version 6 big file.

So, you should use our public git repository to find the files instead. This link will shows you what the state was of all 2.02 files for version 6. Simply download individual files and include them in your big file.

Once your big file is complete, can then either use the -mod command, or drop your big file into the RotWK folder. If you chose the latter, make sure your big-file starts with an exclamation mark. E.g.   !FinalBIG.big

Edited by Brabox, 22 January 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#8 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

You're free to use my Elven Warrior mod for 2.02, it's a fully compiled version of the current 2.02 patch in a big plus some Galadhrim Warriors for the Elven Warriors (Which you can easily remove by removing them from gameplay by editing the barracks commandset). 

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#9 grunshac

grunshac
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for reply guys I have tried both your methods but i get an error. What have i done wrong ? https://s24.postimg....75h/Capture.png

If i put a value in upgrade.ini it finds another problem and so on in upgrade.ini only under buildcost and buildtime rows. Could it be a problem in gamedata ?

Edited by grunshac, 23 January 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#10 Brabox

Brabox
  • Project Team
  • 20 posts
  •  Lord of Idiots

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for reply guys I have tried both your methods but i get an error. What have i done wrong ? https://s24.postimg....75h/Capture.png

If i put a value in upgrade.ini it finds another problem and so on in upgrade.ini only under buildcost and buildtime rows. Could it be a problem in gamedata ?

You're not specifying what you did exactly.

I'm assuming you have 2.02 version 6 installed and can actually play version 6 without errors. I'm also assuming you've made a new .big file for your mod, and placed it in the Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king folder and named it something starting with an exclamation mark (!) like:
!myMod.big

Now, you need to make sure whatever files you use in your .big file are based on the corresponding files from the repository I sent you. So, if you include gamedata.ini in your big file, you have to first take this one, and then apply your modifications to it. All files you don't include will be found in 2.02's big files.

So, just to clarify: you can not use 2.01's gamedata.ini in your mod because it will override the one in ########202_v6.0.0.big. This will cause all other 2.02 files to complain about missing macros.

#11 grunshac

grunshac
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

I forgot to install the patch :p

Now it works. Thanks for your help.

I was wondering if you know any mod which only adds Arnor for patch 2.02 ?

#12 Brabox

Brabox
  • Project Team
  • 20 posts
  •  Lord of Idiots

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

I forgot to install the patch :p

Now it works. Thanks for your help.

I was wondering if you know any mod which only adds Arnor for patch 2.02 ?

At the moment there's no such thing (as far as I know). You'd have to manually merge a 2.01 arnor mod with 2.02.

#13 grunshac

grunshac
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Ok it seems that what i modify ( in gamedata so far) wont appear in game.Here is what i have done:

-installed the patch

-made a folder with all the necessary files in C

-edited the shorthcut

The game runs with the patch but it just dont get my modifications in gamedata. I have edited objects and weapon.ini and it is ok.

Edited by grunshac, 24 January 2017 - 07:45 PM.

#14 Brabox

Brabox
  • Project Team
  • 20 posts
  •  Lord of Idiots

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

Ok it seems that what i modify ( in gamedata so far) wont appear in game.Here is what i have done:

-installed the patch

-made a folder with all the necessary files in C

-edited the shorthcut

The game runs with the patch but it just dont get my modifications in gamedata. I have edited objects and weapon.ini and it is ok.

Well yeah you're using the -mod command? That's a very commonly known problem. I think gamedata.ini is loaded multiple times to resolve all macros (or something like that) so you can't modify gamedata.ini via the -mod command. That's not 2.02 related. It's true for bfme1/2 and rotwk for all patches.

You'll have to make your own gamedata file with new macros that you reference everywhere :p (or you can use a script that'll relocate all macros automatically if I remember correctly)

Anyway, if you just wanna change some things easily (for yourself), throw your .big file into the rotwk folder and don't use the mod command. (make sure your big file name starts with !)

#15 grunshac

grunshac
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

The problem is that i cant open the ini to edit with the notepad++ while its in .big archive and all is a mess if i open with notepad.

#16 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

You can extract .big files and create a mod that is in a folder.

#17 grunshac

grunshac
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for help guys !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users