Photo

How to get your spy/saboteur like units into enemy's base?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Omni44

Omni44
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

I've no idea how to use them succesfully.

#2 Vhaldez

Vhaldez

The World Guardian

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  Peace in Balance

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

Edit: Okay, so the trick with subterfuge units like spies, saboteurs and arsonists is to disguise them as your target's units, avoid detection units like dogs, terror drones, tesla troopers and everything with a lens icon on the build list.

cod

In multiplayer however, it's generally a better idea to use CNTRL and left click to force fire your spies to disguise as one of your own troops and have them tag along on a conventional assault, human players tend to spot units they can't control rather quickly so simply pretending like they're part of an assault squad then dashing into a tech center when there's an opening is preferable. Foehn players use Clairvoyants, which requires you to employ the same kind of strategy as with spies against human players, but without the comfort of a disguise.

Generally speaking you'll want to keep your opponent busy while you pop a spy in something they aren't protecting, cutting down someone's power for 90 seconds can buy you enough time to wipe them off the map with a well-placed strike. If you feel like putting any of this into practice, add me on CnCnet, I'm terrible but at least it'll be good practice.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Vhaldez, 22 January 2017 - 11:02 AM.

bannerfans_16571832.png

#3 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

Well, first of all, you disguise your spies. With Epsilon, you use drillers, with Foehn, you use Spinblade boosted Jackals to transport your Clairvoyants. Note that both the Jackal and Clairvoyants are amphibious, make use of it. You can bust walls surrounding an important building either with a superweapon strike, or if there are t3 defenses nearby, by placing a Lightning Rod, Risen Inferno, Shelter, or Spinblade right next ot the wall. The t3 defenses will engage it, and demolish the wall in the process. Obviously, the Chinese Wall Buster is the simplest method. You want to avoid Attack Dogs, Spooks, Robot Tanks, Terror Drones, and Stingers. These units detect spies from a long distance, and will attack them automatically. However, if left unattended, you can use certain support powers to assassinate these units, Risen Inferno, and Bloatick Trap does wonders.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#4 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

cutting down someone's power for 90 seconds can buy you enough time to wipe them off the map with a well-placed strike.

90 seconds game-time. The actual time is actually halved or less

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#5 Battle Bee

Battle Bee
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

My favourite stolen tech units are the Soviet ones, so I always try to go for them when I'm playing Soviet.

It's the easiest, albeit expensive, with China; get two Armadillos, put two Saboteurs each into them, and send them off into the enemy base. Use the Wallbuster to clear the walls, and unload the Saboteurs at point-blank range to the building. If you play your cards right and unless the base is too well defended - not likely, Armadillos tank damage for breakfast - there's nothing the enemy can do about it.

It's sort of wasteful, as you're basically sending both the Armadillos to their deaths - but who cares when you have Iron Dragons?

For added fun, get some Crazy Ivans or Pyros into the Armadillos as well. You'll get your stolen tech and cause some extra destruction to boot. To the enemy Battle Lab, at least.

Edited by Battle Bee, 22 January 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#6 DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

title available

• Banned
  • 589 posts
  •  Mr. Socialite!

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:53 AM

When playing against the AI? Always send your spies into their Refineries. They got infinite cash, so you can always make a quick 5 grand by robbing them. Of course, there are attack dogs inside every AI player's base, so, wipe them out first. Airstrikes could work, but the best thing to do against the AI? Constantly attack their base, until you get inside, your units are steam rolling inside of their base, you got your tanks right beside their Battle Lab. Blow up the walls, kill all the dogs, then send your spy in.

Of course by then, your AI opponent is near defeated. By the time you get the stolen tech, his base is already dead, and then you win and the match is over, with no chance to actually use the tech, lol. Unless of course you're fighting more than one AI opponent.

Edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr, 23 January 2017 - 12:54 AM.

#7 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:40 AM

The dogs don't always exist and sometimes, the buildings are out of their aggro range

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#8 Divine

Divine

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Foehn AI is just ridiculously easy to infiltrate, you can go straight to its buildings 9/10 times.

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron

#9 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

Against AI I just launch a preemptive raid to take out dogs and such before I send them in. The AI isn't smart enough to know what I'm doing. Against human players, I prefer just rushing in transports full of spies. No sneaking, no disguising them as my own troops, just smash and grab engineer attack style. 

#10 DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

title available

• Banned
  • 589 posts
  •  Mr. Socialite!

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

I'm talking Hard AI with mental AI boost on. You can get lucky with their ore refineries, no doubt, because they build alot of them outwards from the middle of their base unprotected. But their tech center is usually walled in and close to the middle of their base, near a barracks that will reproduce attack dogs. So, once you take out those defenses, you have little time to swoop in and infiltrate successfully, without a full on assault accompanying.

Edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr, 24 January 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#11 Wayward Winds

Wayward Winds
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Foehn AI is just ridiculously easy to infiltrate, you can go straight to its buildings 9/10 times.

And for the other 10% of the time, you get caught on a stun grid.  I was like "What?  The AI actually builds those?"

#12 Divine

Divine

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

And for the other 10% of the time, you get caught on a stun grid.  I was like "What?  The AI actually builds those?"

Are you sure it wasn't a Clairvoyant? I played plenty of games against the Foehn but I've never seen Stun Grids. On the other hand, my speis were occasionally caught by Clairvoyants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users