General Questions & Suggestions Thread

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#41 Eredin

Eredin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Hi, I'm new. First of all I want to compliment you on your work. You are very good in what you do and the work you've shown so far is great.
I apologize for my English (I'm Italian) and for the questions that might be stupid.
1. About the "Create a Hero" mode: is there a possibility to have a separate mod only with the improvements for this mode? I really like the oppurtunity to create a hero, but I think it's a little limitated and that it could have many improvements.
I didn't find a mod dedicated only to "create a hero". The only mod that brings improvements to that part is the Edain mod, but I don't like the edain gameplay, and I prefer the original gameplay, in fact I'm glad that you want to mantein 
the "Battle for Middle Earth II" gameplay. My point is that if someone doesn't like the mod in its entirety, but he would like a renewed "create a hero" mode, is there a chance to have a standalone mod only for that?
2. Another thing about the "create a hero" mod. It would be very nice if we could change things like hair and their colours, and other things. Also other clothes and weapons would be great. And my suggestion is to include a new race.
It would be cool to create a hero in the style of Sauron, the Witch King, or Eredin from "The Witcher 3", a man with an iron armor or some clothes in that style and a scary helmet or something like this. Something other than orc/uruk, haradrim/esterling and trolls. Also, it would be nice if we could make a human hero like a ranger, something like Aragorn, with old clothes and lone wolf's style, and not only captain of gondor and soldier style.  
And I think new powers should be added for the created heroes. In conclusion I'd like improvements both in appearance/texture and in powers/features.
3. Is there a possibility to show in game, for every heroes, units or battalion, statistics like kills, and maybe attack stats and other things? 
4. I noticed that flying units like nazgul or eagles are too vulnerable to arrows. Their life goes down too quickly and they get killed in seconds. I think it's not very realistic, neither faithful to "The Lord of The Rings". 
I also hope for some improvements for the war of the ring mode. I really like that mode.

Edited by Eredin, 24 March 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#42 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

Check out RJ mod, another mod that changes Create-a-Hero. You can change the hair colour. :)

4. I've also noticed that flying creatures like Smaug go down quickly. For example.

"Mates! Mates, I've got Smaug."
"RIP"
"#RIP Smaug"
"RIP in pieces"

I'm sure Smaug will be better, but I don't know if flyimg creatures are balanced by how awesome and terrifying they are.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#43 Eredin

Eredin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the answer. But the RJ mod changes not only Create-a-Hero, but also the gameplay, if I'm not wrong. And I prefer the original gameplay.

Do you have Smaug thanks to that mod?

I think the flying creatures go down quickly for balancing reason. They are too strong, giving you a big advantage. For this reason I think they made them vulnerable to arrows, because every unit must be vulnerable to some other unit, like cavalry with pikemen. And every faction must be more or less balanced to the others. For example, mordor faction would be too strong with 2 mounted nazgul and the Witch King. But I think this is a bit exaggerated. I prefer realism to balance. Cavalry vs pikemen is realistic, but flying creatures vs archers is absurd. I hope there will be some adjustment to the values. In my opinion they must be terrifying like in the movies. And Smaug should be almost invincible.

I also want to add other two points to my suggestions:

5. Do you know the game "Tzar the burden of the crown"? The best thing was the experience feature. Every unit could get unlimited experience, and every exp point increased every stats, like life, attack, defense ecc. 

I think it would be nice a system like that in this game, but I'm not sure.

6. Is there a chance to have a better system to determine the difficulty? Something like other rts, in which you can choose to have different type of enemy and different style: aggressive, defensive ecc. In this way you can choose to have different type of game, slow and careful, with long preparation, and a well-defended enemy, the so-called "turtle type", or a rapid approach, with the enemy  pointing immediately to the attack phase, or maybe an enemy who focus on powers.

7. I'm not sure, but it's a bit difficult to increase the command point limit with the farms and other resources structures, especially in certain maps. Perhaps it would be better if those structures increased the command points more than they do now.

#44 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

No mods that I know of edit the create a hero. We have ideas in the future for it, but its a long way off.

Smaug is my creation.

As to answer the rest of your questions/suggestions

3. I'm not sure of what you mean. Most units already display at least their health and what they're good against. Are you suggesting adding in more to that?

4. You may prefer balance to realism, but many others who are looking to play this mod do not. Flying creatures are already very capable at destroying buildings as well as incapacitating multiple units. Archers are the only way to combat them at all. We may look into giving specific flying heroes more defense against them but that doesn't mean they will be invincible to them. Having near unkillable eagles attacking your fortress isn't enjoyable whatsoever.

5. Unlimited experience levels as far as I know is not possible for BFME as we have a limited level to go up to in the code. We can increase it well beyond just 10, but we have no desire to do that.

6. Most likely not.

7. We've already set it up so other buildings besides farms grant command additional command points.

#45 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

Regarding point 6, we might be able to do things with the dropdown menu of selecting the starting resources etc. I believe Edain uses that for some things, and I always liked the idea of 'modes'. Either way it'll be way beyond the next release.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#46 Eredin

Eredin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

No mods that I know of edit the create a hero. We have ideas in the future for it, but its a long way off.

Smaug is my creation.

As to answer the rest of your questions/suggestions

3. I'm not sure of what you mean. Most units already display at least their health and what they're good against. Are you suggesting adding in more to that?

4. You may prefer balance to realism, but many others who are looking to play this mod do not. Flying creatures are already very capable at destroying buildings as well as incapacitating multiple units. Archers are the only way to combat them at all. We may look into giving specific flying heroes more defense against them but that doesn't mean they will be invincible to them. Having near unkillable eagles attacking your fortress isn't enjoyable whatsoever.

5. Unlimited experience levels as far as I know is not possible for BFME as we have a limited level to go up to in the code. We can increase it well beyond just 10, but we have no desire to do that.

6. Most likely not.

7. We've already set it up so other buildings besides farms grant command additional command points.

Thanks for the answer.

About point 3. I noticed that it isn't important, forget it.

4. I apologize if I have been inopportune or stupid. Generally in games based on books or movies I like realism, but I know balance is very important, and I also want units and factions to be balanced. I agree in saying that having near unkillable eagles attacking your fortress isn't enjoyable, and that flying units are already very strong. I trust your judgment in these things, you are very brilliant.

5. I understand and I think maybe is the best thing not to do it. In fact I was insecure about this. Like I said, I trust you, and I think you know what is better.

6. Just an idea. Not so important. You can forget about it.

7. Thanks. I did not know. I think it's a good thing.

I can't wait to see your ideas for "Create a Hero" and for all your work in general. You are great!

Regarding point 6, we might be able to do things with the dropdown menu of selecting the starting resources etc. I believe Edain uses that for some things, and I always liked the idea of 'modes'. Either way it'll be way beyond the next release.

Thanks for your answer. It's not so important, but I like your idea.

Another thing. I apologize for my stupidity, but for now the last release is "The Horse Lords - Demo - Version 0.3". Am I right?

#47 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

Thanks for the answer. But the RJ mod changes not only Create-a-Hero, but also the gameplay, if I'm not wrong. And I prefer the original gameplay.

Do you have Smaug thanks to that mod?

I think the flying creatures go down quickly for balancing reason. They are too strong, giving you a big advantage. For this reason I think they made them vulnerable to arrows, because every unit must be vulnerable to some other unit, like cavalry with pikemen. And every faction must be more or less balanced to the others. For example, mordor faction would be too strong with 2 mounted nazgul and the Witch King. But I think this is a bit exaggerated. I prefer realism to balance. Cavalry vs pikemen is realistic, but flying creatures vs archers is absurd. I hope there will be some adjustment to the values. In my opinion they must be terrifying like in the movies. And Smaug should be almost invincible.

I also want to add other two points to my suggestions:

5. Do you know the game "Tzar the burden of the crown"? The best thing was the experience feature. Every unit could get unlimited experience, and every exp point increased every stats, like life, attack, defense ecc. 

I think it would be nice a system like that in this game, but I'm not sure.

6. Is there a chance to have a better system to determine the difficulty? Something like other rts, in which you can choose to have different type of enemy and different style: aggressive, defensive ecc. In this way you can choose to have different type of game, slow and careful, with long preparation, and a well-defended enemy, the so-called "turtle type", or a rapid approach, with the enemy  pointing immediately to the attack phase, or maybe an enemy who focus on powers.

7. I'm not sure, but it's a bit difficult to increase the command point limit with the farms and other resources structures, especially in certain maps. Perhaps it would be better if those structures increased the command points more than they do now.

Ahhh, I completely meant RC mod! You can change hair colour and add scars on the face.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#48 Hoarmurath

Hoarmurath
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts
  • Projects:Bashing the fash
  •  Commie

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

That's Ridder Clan Mod BTW. And yes, it does edit CaH and I think it was very impressive.

#49 Eredin

Eredin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

Thank you. I found it, and it seems very good from the screenshots, but I didn't manage to make it work. I had the same problem that many had. When I run it, it always asks me to insert the correct cd. I tried every solutions I found in the forum and in the moddb comments, but I could not solve it. It doesn't matter anyway. I'll wait for this mod. I can't wait for another release. 

Oh, and if I can, I don't like very much the soldiers walking outside of the buildings. At the beginning I found it a good thing, but after a while it has become a bit irritating. There are too many of them, and after a while, when you start to build many buildings they start to accumulate, and create chaos in your base and in the map. But this is only my opinion. It's not so important to me anyway. 

I want to ask another thing, just out of curiosity. This game, unlike the other rts, doesn't have an editor, in which you can create your own game like you want, in a simple way. The classic editor of the rts to be clear. There is the world builder and I know is great for those who know how to use it, but it's not the same thing. Obviously it's impossible to have the normal rts editor, am I right?

#50 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

You can use Worldbuilder to open the maps that come with the game (if you extract maps.big) or come with the mod (they will be in the mod folder in maps), and from there you can position vanilla buildings and objects, that should be good enough for the released BETA version of The Horse Lords. Although if you want to edit a map with a mod in Worldbuilder you will need to package the mod as a usuable .big file.

#51 Eredin

Eredin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for your answer, you have been helpful. I have another question for you, if I can. I noticed that there are many mods for this game. Could you tell me the name of the best mod in your opinion, while I am waiting for another release of "The Age of the Ring"? A mod that is completed or nearly completed, and that adds something new to the game, such as new factions like rohan, but keeps the same gameplay of rotwk, maybe with little improvements? 

#52 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

I'd say it'll be better to ask in another topic not about AotR or PM me if you want my opinion. RJ Mod, would be your best bet for a level of completion. ;)

#53 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

RJ ROTWK for sure. Has been and still is one of my favorite mods.

#54 SilentWolf_Gaming

SilentWolf_Gaming
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

Hey there I just wanted to say that I been searching for a mod exactly like this for ages it seems! your textures look AMAZING and I love that you added all the things from the hobbit films but didn't change the gameplay like edain which is the mod I was originally praising (and eventually disappointed by!)  I just had a few questions?

1. I love all lord of the rings games including war in the north and middle earth shadows of mordor ((excited for shadows of war in a few months to!)) so I was wondering if there would be any chance any of these non-cannon ((prefer fan-cannon)) heroes could possibly make it into the mod such as Talion with Celebrimbor, Eradan, Andriel, and Farin. Also Agandaûr for an evil faction? I also didn't see any pictures of Elronds sons ((may have missed the picture though)) who are actually cannon, would they make it into the game?

2. I always wanted 1 of the 3 eagles that shows up to be named Gwaihir and be colored like him ((believe he has bald eagle colors? not 100% though)) and maybe the other two named after other eagles in the lore? or the fan-cannon Beleram if question 1 was a yes?

3. I was just curious I may have missed it but how are the dwarves set up? because I would have just added all the ones from the hobbit to the ones already in game ((who cares about balance when you can have an army of dwarf heroes!....well probably like half at once but still!))

4. this one isn't really a question just more of a response to the question earlier in the thread of the stone giants? and sorry I keep going back to war in the north but I loved it just as much as any other lotr game I have come across. Their stone giants looked like kind of a mix between the ones from bfme2 and the ones from the hobbit movies so maybe that could be a possibility? ((tried to put a picture, wouldn't allow it))

well that's all I could think of, honestly these mod ideas just don't even matter, I'm going to love this mod regardless but always wanted those characters added to the game!

#55 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hey! Let's see what I can answer so far.

1. We're not adding any videogame characters, save for Berethor in Gondor and possibly Idrial in Lothlorien. Sons of Elrond will be in Rivendell.

2. Gwaihir is in, with a unique appearance.

3. We will reveal the Erebor faction plan later.

4. I know what they look like. A pretty cool design. We're not going to redo the vanilla Stone Giants for now though.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#56 SilentWolf_Gaming

SilentWolf_Gaming
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Hey! Let's see what I can answer so far.

1. We're not adding any videogame characters, save for Berethor in Gondor and possibly Idrial in Lothlorien. Sons of Elrond will be in Rivendell.

2. Gwaihir is in, with a unique appearance.

3. We will reveal the Erebor faction plan later.

4. I know what they look like. A pretty cool design. We're not going to redo the vanilla Stone Giants for now though.

Thanks for the answers! while its kind of a downer this mod is still absolutely amazing! and I can't wait to see what comes next for it! the only other thing I could ask for would be retextures and maybe some additions to create-a-hero but I saw you guys already answered that as way down the road as a possibility. This is the whole reason I even built my rig which lead to me streaming so I can't wait to do that! 

#57 Elessar_the_King

Elessar_the_King
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

I hope nothing from "Shadow of Mordor" will be added.

But I agree with the giants from WitN, they're really cool. Even the snow trolls look decent.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

ettenmoors.jpg

#58 Eredin

Eredin
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

I'd say it'll be better to ask in another topic not about AotR or PM me if you want my opinion. RJ Mod, would be your best bet for a level of completion. ;)

RJ ROTWK for sure. Has been and still is one of my favorite mods.

Thanks to both of you! I tried the RJ mod and it's great! I have just one last question off topic. In the skirmish mode, some factions, especially the new factions, don't move. If I choose the enemy or the ally to be Arnor, MotE, Elves, Rohan for example, they remain still and do nothing. Sometimes also other factions like dwarves don't move, or they move but they are very slow and weak. It seems to be random. Do you know how to fix this? (I've already downloaded and copied the unofficial Bugfix 1.063, but it doesn't fix this, it fixes other things).

There are many things in this mod that you could use or maybe take as inspirations, like the MotE faction, which is very good. I can't wait to see your version of the new factions like this, rohan, misty mountains or the three elven factions, especially mirkwood! But I want to see all of them, all the factions!

#59 Destromath

Destromath
  • New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Location:“Where are you? Here What time is it? Now What are you? This moment.”

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:42 PM

I would like to make a couple of suggestions:

1. A structure, deployed akin to the Lone Tower, that would display a grid pattern, like the one in World Builder, with a 5 second cool-down.

It would display 2 grid levels, one a simple square, other a square with the criss-cross pattern, displayed, or rather, triggered akin to a hero-power.

2. A building rotation system, that would possibly snap to the aforementioned grid, and would rotate at a rate of 22.5 degrees.

These two features would be completely optional add-on's for (possibly) all three mods (A.o.R and the 2 HD editions), because I realize you kept a free-build system for a reason.

This would simply be for those that want to keep the symmetry, because who says you can't look good kicking ass? happy.gif
Anyway, consider it, before dismissing the idea? Thank you.

P.S: I do understand that the snapping feature is probably impossible. But if you find a way, make it optional.

Best regards, Destromath.

Edited by Destromath, 15 April 2017 - 11:43 PM.

“Life has three rules: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

- Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste your time trying to figure it out.

- Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure.

- Change: Know that nothing ever stays the same.” 

#60 ZTRON5

ZTRON5
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

I won't lie, i was a bit disappointed by the ring heroes in Age of the Ring.

I don't like Edain mod (because of the limitation of building in a certain area), but one thing that in my opinion they did right was the ring heroes.

EVERY faction has it's own unique hero and advantages such as:

Angmar: Witch-King (Eternal Winter);

Isengard: Saruman of many colors/ Saruman the cursed;

ETC

My suggestion to this mod, since you guys are the most ambitious modders for this game will be "be ambitious about ring heroes too".

In my opinion, diversity in ring heroes can make the faction MUCH more interesting. Every time you play with a faction you want to find the ring at any costs to see the powers of the ring hero of that faction. Or.... fear the ring hero if the enemy actually takes the ring, because you will not know it's effects.

My suggestion for Ring Heroes:

Gondor: King of the Dead

Rohan: Eorl the Young (Huge bonus to Cavalry)

Isengard: Saruman of many colors

Mordor: Sauron

Misty Mountains: Smaug

Lothlorien: Galadriel Queen of Storms

Erebor: Dwaven Industry, fixed on the fortress (Machines make more damage, generate more resources)

Rivendell: Gwaihir, lord of eagles

Mirkwood: Celebrimbor, ring maker

Haradwaith: Giant Sand Worm

I know that some of this might not seen lore friendly, such as Eorl or Celbrimbor, but think how interesting will be to actually discover their strengths and weakness!

Edited by ZTRON5, 05 May 2017 - 02:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users