Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

Hey, welcome to T3A and the AotR community.

It's not a matter of ambition, really. It's a matter of which idea we like the most.

We think Frodo is the perfect Ring Hero for Good factions because he *was* their Ring Hero - he saved Middle-earth thanks to his immense inner strength. The exception is Erebor, where Bilbo is the Ring Hero, because Frodo wasn't born during the era our Erebor is set in, and because he, in a way, was the 'Ring Hero' of Thorin's Company, saving them on multiple occasions thanks to the Ring and his strength of character. We like using those very Tolkienesque themes and turning them into gameplay elements. "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future" - we're suckers for that sort of thing and even though AotR is a mod for a game which is all about killing your enemies, we took this opportunity to imbue it with some Tolkien spirit.

Same goes for Sauron. If Misty Mountain orcs got the Ring, they'd hand it over to Sauron, unless Smaug claimed it for his hoard (which he does in AotR :p). If the Haradrim found the Ring, Sauron would most likely get it too, especially now that we've decided to give them a Nazgul-in-disguise hero, the Golden King. The only exception here is Isengard - it seems more Tolkienesque to have Isengard get a super-powered Saruman, because Tolkien implies Saruman would have been able to bend the Ring to his will. Still, Saruman is already a regular hero, so we'd have to either remove him or create a complicated mechanic like an option to 'buy' his Ring Hero form after you have the Ring and Saruman is already on the field, otherwise Isengard gets a crazy advantage. So Sauron it is - at least for now.

Your suggestions are interesting, but they're extremely far-fetched and all over the place, making various levels of sense (some making zero sense at all), and it seems to me there's no concept behind it beyond 'it'd be cool to see', in which case I prefer our attempt at injecting some of Tolkien's themes into the gameplay. In this case we think less is more, and that there's beauty in simple systems.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#62 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

Ditto

#63 ZTRON5

ZTRON5
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

Hey, welcome to T3A and the AotR community.

It's not a matter of ambition, really. It's a matter of which idea we like the most.

We think Frodo is the perfect Ring Hero for Good factions because he *was* their Ring Hero - he saved Middle-earth thanks to his immense inner strength. The exception is Erebor, where Bilbo is the Ring Hero, because Frodo wasn't born during the era our Erebor is set in, and because he, in a way, was the 'Ring Hero' of Thorin's Company, saving them on multiple occasions thanks to the Ring and his strength of character. We like using those very Tolkienesque themes and turning them into gameplay elements. "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future" - we're suckers for that sort of thing and even though AotR is a mod for a game which is all about killing your enemies, we took this opportunity to imbue it with some Tolkien spirit.

Same goes for Sauron. If Misty Mountain orcs got the Ring, they'd hand it over to Sauron, unless Smaug claimed it for his hoard (which he does in AotR :p). If the Haradrim found the Ring, Sauron would most likely get it too, especially now that we've decided to give them a Nazgul-in-disguise hero, the Golden King. The only exception here is Isengard - it seems more Tolkienesque to have Isengard get a super-powered Saruman, because Tolkien implies Saruman would have been able to bend the Ring to his will. Still, Saruman is already a regular hero, so we'd have to either remove him or create a complicated mechanic like an option to 'buy' his Ring Hero form after you have the Ring and Saruman is already on the field, otherwise Isengard gets a crazy advantage. So Sauron it is - at least for now.

Your suggestions are interesting, but they're extremely far-fetched and all over the place, making various levels of sense (some making zero sense at all), and it seems to me there's no concept behind it beyond 'it'd be cool to see', in which case I prefer our attempt at injecting some of Tolkien's themes into the gameplay. In this case we think less is more, and that there's beauty in simple systems.

Indeed. As i have said in the moddb community, this is the most lore friendly heroes i have seen in a mod, and for that i love them. I create this text because a really love the team behind it. The passion for the game, lore, movies and the art itself. And the very reason why i love games is because i can see "IF" scenarios. Like: "What would happen if Saruman gets the ring?" At least for Isengard, i would love to see an option where Saruman bend the One Ring to his will... or be cursed by it. I hope you guys don't see my suggestion as offensive or anything like it. I made suggestion only because as i said multiple times, i love this team, and i want this mod to succeed in every possible way.

Thanks for the answer, this team it's not only gifted but also humble enough to to explain almost everything to the fans.

Thank you for this mod. 

#64 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

No, no, don't worry ztron your suggestions were fine. I myself would like to see something done with Saruman eventually but only after we get all the other factions working as that's a much bigger priority. We do appreciate the compliments.

#65 ZTRON5

ZTRON5
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

No, no, don't worry ztron your suggestions were fine. I myself would like to see something done with Saruman eventually but only after we get all the other factions working as that's a much bigger priority. We do appreciate the compliments.

Thank you, friend.

Hope you and the team have a nice weekend.

#66 tomasz_exe

tomasz_exe
  • Project Team
  • 18 posts
  • Projects:Taking over Aen Seidhe

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

Greeting fellow humans!

I really like the way this mod is moving and I have another suggestion that will make it even better in my mind.

"[all   factions]   Faction based building animations"

Factions like the Dwarves and Goblins have already great animations in the Vanilla version of the game. But the other factions lack this, why not change this? Below I have a list that I think will help differentiate the factions.

- Gondor

Bright wooden scaffolds, with some stone piles and ladders.
- Isengard

Dark standing metal beams with rotten wood connecting them.
- Mordor

Orc style scaffolds, with metal spikes and Mordor banners.
- Misty Mountains

Original goblin animations, less fire more torches or smoke?
- Lothlorien

Main tree (somehow) growing, lanterns and ropes to add the platforms.
- Erebor

Dwarves vanilla building style.
- Rivendell

Small but tall scaffolds with some statues and some roof pieces.
- Mirkwood

Like Lothlorien but without the lanterns.
- Haradwaith

Mumak style horns risen up like with rope connecting them and some banners.
- Rohan

Old used wooden scaffolds with some haystacks and timber piles.

So is it potential for the mod?

Or is it too much work to configure and make?

Regards,

Tomasz_exe

Edited by tomasz_exe, 11 May 2017 - 04:55 PM.

"Go on. Show me your spins, pirouettes and feints. I want to watch."

Posted Image

"Ess'tedd, Esse Creasa."

#67 Morgul Orc

Morgul Orc
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

Is it possible for you guys to to half the command points of units? or at least decrease the command points of units?

the command points reach the limit pretty fast and this become a problem because you'll have to build resource buildings everywhere.

#68 ahd0ver

ahd0ver
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • Projects:Learning to do cool stuff
  •  Never Watched LOTR

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

Question for the team regarding Aragorn, hero of Gondor,

I know that his model changes from leveling up, however, what are the certain models that relate to each level. I am pretty sure that I am seeing models appear randomly i.e. the Black Gate armor and King armor have both occupied a level 10 Aragorn.

So for clarification purposes and to ensure my game is not bugged, I would like to know what models correspond to each level of Aragorn.

kQWAa6r.jpgbRO6JZe.png

#69 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

Black Gate and Elessar armor can both appear at rank 10. It's random. So your game is not bugged. :p

#70 ahd0ver

ahd0ver
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  •  Never Watched LOTR

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

Is Aragorn supposed to draw his knife on activation of Flame of the West?

kQWAa6r.jpgbRO6JZe.png

#71 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

Next update we will have that yes.

#72 ahd0ver

ahd0ver
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  •  Never Watched LOTR

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

Is the fire arrows upgrade from the archery range supposed to work on patrol units and the archers on the barracks rank 3?

kQWAa6r.jpgbRO6JZe.png

#73 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

Yep, it is.

#74 DeLaSegadora

DeLaSegadora
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

Can you change some old locations is "Battle for the Ring", like Erebor?
Will you do the "hybrid units", like pikemen with shields in every faction or in Erebor faction?

#75 Morgul Orc

Morgul Orc
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

I have a suggestion in regards to the nazguls.

Why not instead of having a power that summons them temporarily, it becomes a passive ability where all nazguls can get or purchase a fellbeast.

I just miss having permanent nazguls on fellbeast.

Also another thing, I just realized that Misty mountains don't have a siege weapons, their main structure destroyer are cave trolls and olog hai.

Will there be a specific siege unit for Misty Mountains?

Thanks. :smile2ap:

#76 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

Maybe. For now, Cave Trolls' rock throw fulfills the role.

#77 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

That's where the Witch King comes in. So sorry but no, Wraiths on Wings is the only way you will be getting normal Ringwraiths on Fellbeasts outside a campaign.

#78 Morgul Orc

Morgul Orc
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the reply! :thumbsuphappy:

#79 WCP

WCP
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

I don't know how hard it is for people not afflicted by color blindness (red-green), but for me it is now very hard to spot if an evil unit has forged blades. Is there some way to make the change more noticable and still be able to play with other players?

#80 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Possibly. Can you see the Good faction blades properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users