Photo

Trying to launch a game from the client.

Best Answer Eric, 31 January 2017 - 03:51 AM

It was said the gamemd.exe file detected by Syringe is an unknown executable. It is resolved by a re-installation of Yuri's Revenge.

It worked like a charm. The file must be fresh from original CD, The First Decade and The Ultimate Collection and copied to the directory where MO 3.3 is there.

For the users who had the same problem is this, this is your answer.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eric

Eric

Mental Strategist

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  Robot In Grease, BURRRAH

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hi. I have a problem with the game.

I tried to set and the settings, but when I launch the game, it returned immediately to the client instead of opening the game. Even when I reinstall the mod.

Please help me with this problem.

#2 decowboy

decowboy
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Maybe start with reading the sticky? :)

https://forums.revor...ues-megathread/

At the very least, post the contents of syringe.log.

#3 Eric

Eric

Mental Strategist

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

This problem is different than the others. The file gamemd.exe will not run and return to the client immediately, it's completely different to other problems.

#4 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:25 AM

Your problem sounds like the one listed on that topic though

Launcher reappears without ever starting the game
Gamemd.exe most likely has some compatibility settings enabled: Run as administrator, or Windows XP SP3 compat mode. If the game needs to run as admin (when you get a prompt to confirm on startup), Syringe has to be started with admin rights, too. If the client is run with admin rights, then this will happen automatically. Thus, set the same compat settings on the client.

Indicators: Syringe.log reports success, but running time is very short.
[03:17:27] SyringeDebugger::HandleException: Creating code hooks.
[03:17:31] SyringeDebugger::Run: Done.
[03:17:31] WinMain: SyringeDebugger::Run finished.
[03:17:31] WinMain: Exiting on success.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#5 Eric

Eric

Mental Strategist

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:51 AM   Best Answer

It was said the gamemd.exe file detected by Syringe is an unknown executable. It is resolved by a re-installation of Yuri's Revenge.

It worked like a charm. The file must be fresh from original CD, The First Decade and The Ultimate Collection and copied to the directory where MO 3.3 is there.

For the users who had the same problem is this, this is your answer.

Edited by Eric, 31 January 2017 - 03:53 AM.

#6 decowboy

decowboy
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

For future reference, gamemd.exe actually needs to be patched to 1.001. Depending on where you purchased Yuri's Revenge, the file might or might not be patched already, but it isn't when you use the original CD (source). Other reasons why your gamemd.exe might not work and you'll find the launcher re-appearing immediately, is that you are using the XWIS version of Yuri's Revenge or you've previously installed another mod that changed the gamemd file (source).

In any case, the answer's hidden in syringe.log, so just check that file for any error messages and google those, or post the content of syringe.log on this forum.

#7 Eric

Eric

Mental Strategist

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:26 AM

For future reference, gamemd.exe actually needs to be patched to 1.001. Depending on where you purchased Yuri's Revenge, the file might or might not be patched already, but it isn't when you use the original CD (source). Other reasons why your gamemd.exe might not work and you'll find the launcher re-appearing immediately, is that you are using the XWIS version of Yuri's Revenge or you've previously installed another mod that changed the gamemd file (source).

In any case, the answer's hidden in syringe.log, so just check that file for any error messages and google those, or post the content of syringe.log on this forum.

This problem is different than other problems. The only thing that reason is that I have a gamemd.exe file but an unknown version. This post is not related to this.

#8 decowboy

decowboy
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

I really appreciate that and I understand that your problem was related to having an incorrect gamemd.exe file.

However, you said that "the answer for users with the same problem" is to get the gamemd.exe "fresh from original CD, The First Decade or The Ultimate Collection".

Even though that post is marked as the best answer, it might be confusing to other users, because of two reasons:

1. The original CD will install gamemd.exe with version 1.000 and you have to have version 1.001. Directly using the gamemd.exe from the original CD won't work.

2. There are other reasons why this issue you mentioned could occur, which is why it is important to look at syringe.log. It could, for example, also have to do with administrator privileges.

In your post, you suggest that the solution that worked for you should work for everyone, and it won't.

#9 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

My theory is that you were using gamemd.exe of an installation that once had MO 3.0 in it. Iirc Speeder once said that the MO 3.0 modifies the gamemd.exe, thus disallowing it to be used for MO 3.3

Edited by Handepsilon, 04 February 2017 - 07:09 PM.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users