Commandos SecCreator 1.05 problem!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mgabesz

mgabesz
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:26 AM

Hi! I have a problem with .SEC creation. I use SecCreator v1.05. The program is very easy and i understand usage, but it runs with very low fps. After saving some sectors disappears. I don't undestand what is the problem. The SecEditor 2.4e able to create new sector, but i can't change sector type (snow, water...) Have you got any solution or newer program? Thanks!

#2 Lexx2k

Lexx2k
  • Members
  • 133 posts
  • Projects:BTCOD Mission Pack

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Use the SecEditor. Also the tool is very sensitive and error prone. One wrong click is enough to fuck up the file. Also as you've noticed, it has a memory leak and becomes slower with every added sector.

How you should use it:

- Start placing all polygons first. Save the file.

- Add the first few sectors. Don't connect more than 3, maximum 4 polygons to a sector or you risk problems later on. Always do this clock-wise (if I remember correct haven't done this in a while). Save the file after every few sectors created.

- If you click a polygon twice, reload.

- At some point your *.sec file will be big enough to cause very low frames after just three or what added polygons. Save, restart the program, continue.

If you missclicked and didn't saved for a while, you can still fix this with saving the file now. Open the *.sec file and scroll to the bottom of it. There should be blocks like this:

4 0 0 0 0 0 0 384

If they only have 2 or 1 following lines, e.g. ...

4 0 0 0 0 0 0 384

... the block is broken and needs to be removed. Also at the top of the files, under the list of polygons, you get a number like "560" which is the amount of these blocks. They should match up as well. It saves you a lot time NOT to missclick, though. So just don't and save as often as possible. Also save under different names in case you accidentally fuck it up.

After you're done with creating the sectors, place a few random soldiers and let them walk around or use god mode and make them follow you, etc. always with the viewcone activated. This way you can see where fucked up sectors are located (pretty sure there will be a few at some point.. there are always some). If you know the position of fucked up sectors, delete them (and the closest polygons) in the SecEditor and rebuild them. That should do the trick.

It's a shitton of work, but if you got the workflow down, you'll be done quite fast. When working on the later maps of mine, it took me only about 30 mins or so to create a working sector file. Ofc it would be even faster if the tool wouldn't be such a pain in the arse.

Edited by Lexx2k, 31 January 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#3 herbert3000

herbert3000

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

• Division Admins
  • 593 posts
  • Division:Commandos HQ
  • Job:Division Admin

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

Great post by Lexx2k! Just two additions:

SecEditor has some basic error detection (which the SecCreator doesn't have). For example it won't create sectors with less than 3 vertices and it will count a click on a vertex only once, even if you clicked the same vertex multiply times.

How to change the sector type (terrain) in SecEditor:

Press 'C'

Click on the little square at the center of the sector

Set the flags to 384, then set the terrain:

0 = land, 1 = shallow water, 2 = snow (or sand), 3 = deep water

And you can use this tool to find broken sectors in a SEC file:

https://sites.google...redirects=0&d=1

#4 mgabesz

mgabesz
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:45 PM