• 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

============ Lothlórien 2.0 ============

Age of the Ring

Rough write-up 

Synopsis: Lothlórien is heavily centered around defense and preservation of its territory. It’s structures mostly consist of the Mallorn Tree and Lórien Talan, which can both be extensively upgraded to grant various bonuses to nearby Lórien units. Lórien can raise what are essentially walls of trees that excel at holding certain areas and keeping the enemy out. A downside is their limited unit roster, with no little access to the usual early game infantry. No Hobbits for these Elves. They are also limited by a strict build range around their fortress.

Heroes

Rumil - 1100

Rank 1: Gwedhanar

Haldir and Orophin gain +10% damage and +5% experience gain

Rank 3 - Mallorn Shaft

A powerful shot that deals good damage to heroes

Rank 6: Sentinel of Nimrodel

Increases vision range for friendly units and increases rate of fire for archers. Passive

Rumil gains 50% armor increase. Passive.

Orophin - 1100

Haldir and Rumil  gain +10% damage and +5% experience gain

Rank 3 - Silvan Rage

Blademaster

Rank 6: Warden of the Celebrant

Reduces knockback chance and increases armor of nearby troops for a short time

Idrial - 1500
Rank 1: Fluid Strike
An area of effect strike that knocks back enemy units. Improves as Idrial gains ranks.

Rank 3: Cleanse Shadow
Units within the radius are moderately healed, lose enemy debuffs, and gain fear resistance for a short time.

Rank 8: Gift of Galadriel

Summons a golden tree that is surrounded by Elven mists. Friendly units are cloaked, enemy units lose leadership.

Rank 10: Haste of the Elves
Passive that reduces all of Idrial's power cooldowns by 25%.

Haldir - 1600

Rumil and Orophin gain +10% damage and +5% experience gain

Rank 1: Sword/Bow toggle

Rank 3: Marchwarden of Lothlórien

Teleports friendly units to another area of the map

Rank 6: Captain of the Galadhrim

Haldir dons his heavy armor and gains 50% armor increase

Nearby friendly troops gain +33% damage and +33% armor

Rank 10: Last Stand

Haldir regains a portion of his health back and gains 30% damage but loses 55% armor for the duration

Celeborn - 2500

Rank 1: Lord of the Galadhrim

All nearby friendly units gain Fear Resistance as well as a 10% speed bonus. Celeborn causes fear to nearby enemies. At Rank 3, Celeborn is accompanied by 3 Sentinels of the Silver Tree who follow and guard him. At Rank 7, Celeborn is able to summon Sentinels that will guard a selected friendly hero for a short time.

Rank 2: The Silver Host

Summons a battalion of Silver Tree Guardians. At rank 6, summons an additional battalion of Silver Tree Sentinels.

At rank 10, summons 2 battalions of Silver Tree Guardians and 2 battalions of Silver Tree Sentinels.

Rank 4: Cunning Warrior

Celeborn briefly absorbs all damage towards him and enemies around him lose 25% Damage and 25% Armor.

Rank 5: Armaments of Doriath

Celeborn wields his ancient armaments from Doriath

Celeborn's attacks deal magic damage

Rank 8: Wise beyond measure

Celeborn grants troops within the radius a large bonus to experience

Galadriel - 3000

Rank 1: Foresight

Far Sight

Rank 3: The Lady of Lothlórien

Nearby friendly Heroes have decreased recharge times and increased experience gain. Nearby enemy heroes lose damage

Rank 4: Bearer of Nenya

Nearby structures gain +150% armor as well as the Snowbind power

Rank 7: Light of Valinor

For a brief time Galadriel is reveled in white light spreading terror in the hearts of her enemies and becoming invulnerable.

Rank 10: The Storm-Queen

Galadriel takes the form of the storm queen for a short time

Her attacks become ranged attacks and her damage vs buildings increases by 200%

Buildings

Fortress - 5000

A giant Mallorn tree, with a plethora of telain amongst its branches. A circular staircase leads up around its massive bough.

Upgrades: 

Banners of the Golden Wood - 500

Nearby allies gain +33% damage, armor, and +50% experience gain. Reduces hero cost and recruitment time by 10%. Reduces the cost of Builders by 20%.

Mists of the Anduin – 600

Nearby allied units are camouflaged. Enemy units suffer -25% damage and -20% armor.

Blessed Lanterns – 800

Enemy units within the fortress’ build radius are slowed more the closer they come to the fortress, with a maximum of -33%.

Protection of Nenya - 800

Decreases melee vulnerability of the Fortress.

Waters of the Celebrant - 1000

Heals nearby friendly units. Heroes revive +25% faster at this Fortress.

Veteran Marchwardens – 1200

Places Marchwardens with upgraded bows onto the fortress. Also unlocks ‘Border Patrol’, which allows the player to place a trio of individual Marchwardens anywhere on the map to reveal the area, detect stealth, and fire on nearby enemies. Prequisite to Light of Eärendil.

Light of Eärendil – 1000

When activated, covers the buildable area of the Fortress in light, continually healing allied units and demoralizing enemy forces.

Expansions:

Talan - 400

Defensive tower structure, garrisoned by 3 archers.

Axe-elf Garrison - 600

Spawns a number of Axe-elves that will attack nearby enemies. 

Rank 1: Forth, Axe-elves! - 150

When researched, allows the Axe-elf Garrison to deploy a battalion of elves in a wide radius around the fortress. Useful for dealing with enemy siege machines.

Mallorn Tree - 200

Gathers a small amount of resources. Can be upgraded with Primary Upgrades to fulfill various roles. Can afterwards be upgraded with various stackable Secondary Upgrades.

Provides vision and range to nearby friendly archers. Mallorn trees can only be constructed near the Fortress and Talans.

Primary Upgrade: Galadhrim Garrison - 250

Turns the Mallorn Tree into a Galadhrim Garrison. Allows the recruitment of various infantry units.

Visual cue: A fortified flet with draping banners and a permanent sentry archer.

Rank 1: Lorien Wardens

Elves armed with short spears and shields wearing cloth. Able to double as anti-cavalry and base infantry. May receive Heavy armor, Tempered Blades, and Banner upgrades.

Rank 1: Lorien Archers

Elves wielding bows wearing cloth. May receive Heavy armor, Galadhrim Longbows, and Banner upgrades.

Rank 2: Sentinels of Cerin Amroth

Hooded and Cloaked Elite Spearmen armed with glaives and wearing cloth. May receive Heavy armor, Tempered Blades, and Banner upgrades.

Rank 2: Sindar Pathstalkers

Special unit that excels at stealth and dealing high amounts of damage but have very low armor. Are stealthed while standing still.

Rank 2: Shadowstrike

The Pathstalkers become fully stealthed briefly. During that time their damage is increased by +200%
May receive Tempered Blades and Banner upgrades.

Rank 3: Marchwardens

Hooded and Cloaked Marchwardens armed with Sword and Bow wearing cloth armor. May receive Heavy Armor, Tempered Blades, Galadhrim Longbows, and Banner upgrades.

Primary Upgrade: Green Pasture - 400

Turns the Mallorn Tree into a Green Pasture. Allows the recruitment of cavalry and Handmaidens.

Visual cue: a circular fence around the tree's base with several white horses grazing.

Rank 1: Scouts of Nimrodel - 600

Horse-Riding Elves armed with bows and light leather armor. May receive Heavy armor, Galadhrim Longbows, and Banner upgrades.

Rank 2: Spear/Bow toggle

On upgrade they receive the silver armor of the Galadhrim.

Rank 2: Handmaidens to Galadriel - 500

Provides healing and buffs to nearby units, recruited from Golden Wood Grove

Cannot normally attack, stealthed near trees, may receive heavy armor. Has similar attack to Arwen in Rivendell.

Rank 1: Galadriel's Grace

Allows the Handmaidens to rank up. 

300 to rank 3,

600 to rank 5.

Also provides 50% ranged avoidance, plus 50% damage reflection at rank 3.

Rank 1: Blessed Earth

The selected area of terrain is blessed, creating a temporary place of healing to nearby friendly units.

This power can be cast from afar.

Rank 3: Radiance

Friendly units near the Handmaiden receive +25% armor, can stack

Rank 5: Gleam of Nenya

Wielding a fragment of Nenya's power allows the Handmaiden to undo harm done to the land 

Deals significant damage to structures from afar.

Primary Upgrade: Storehouse - 800

Turns the Mallorn Tree into a Storehouse. Allows the purchase of various upgrades.

Visual cue: A flet with foundations reaching the ground, filled with goods and weapons

Rank 1: Banner Carriers - Advances Battalion to Rank 2. Unlocks Lembas Bread: Battalion passively heals when out of combat.

Rank 1: Tempered Blades

Rank 2: Heavy Armor

Rank 3: Galadhrim Longbows

Primary Upgrade: Niphredil Bloom - 150

Increases resource production of the Mallorn Tree. 

Visual cue: Niphredil blooms amidst the moss on the base of the trunk and roots, several additional canopy models to bolster the tree's bloom.

Has Fertility bonus, decreasing cost of cavalry units by 5% up to a maximum of 25%.

Secondary Upgrade: Star-lit Lanterns - 100

Grants fear resist to units near the Mallorn Tree.

Visual cue: lanterns hanging from some of the higher branches.

Secondary Upgrade: Waters of Nimrodel - 150

Allows units nearby to heal over time.

Visual cue: several basins filled with clear water around the tree's base.

Secondary Upgrade: Mallorn Roots - 800

Slows down and deals damage to enemy within the radius. Can be cast on enemy structures to deal damage from afar.

Visual cue: Gnarled roots breaching the earth around the tree.

Secondary Upgrade: Silvan Levy - 600

Summons a temporary horde of Lórien Archers or Warriors to defend the Mallorn Tree

Visual cue: Galadhrim weaponry tucked in between the roots on the base.

Lórien Talan

Cost: 500

Main Defensive Structure and able to be built anywhere. Upgradeable and produces a small amount of resources. Has Golden Canopy passive, which increases damage by 10% up to a maximum of 50% and range by 5% up to a maximum of 25%. Allows the construction of Mallorn Trees and Hidden Sanctums within its radius.

May be garrisoned

Rank 1: Hidden Volley - 300

Unlocks Hidden Volley, which can be used around the Talan. A volley of arrows deals damage to attacking enemies.

Rank 1: Tenebrous Boughs - 250

Unlocks Tenebrous Boughs, which hides the Talan from sight.

Rank 1: Marchwarden Garrison - 500

Marchwardens will patrol around the Talan.

Rank 1: Niphredil Bloom - 150

The Talan produces more resources.

Hidden Sanctum – 800

A stone structure built around a Mallorn Tree. May recruit Lothlórien’s elite and heroic units, as well as grant powerful upgrades. Hidden Sanctums can only be constructed near the Fortress and Talans.

Rank 1: Long Memory

Targeted unit is permanently upgraded to have additional range and vision.

Rank 1: Armor of Doriath

Targeded unit is permanently upgraded with time-worn armor, granting them additional resistance against magic and elemental damage.

Rank 1: Amroth's Knights - 450

Heavy cavalry. These mounted Sindarin nobles are the remnants of Amroth Amdirion's household guard.

Rank 1: Seasoned Riders

Nearby Scouts of Nimrodel gain additional armor. Passive.

Rank 3: Past Glories

Nearby units temporarily gain increased experience.

Rank 3: Nandor Hîr-Hathol

Rank 1: Toggle Sword/Axe

Rank 5: For Lórinand!

The Nandor temporarily deal additional magic damage, are immune to knockback and will reflect any damage they take onto those that attacked them

Rank 7: Treasures of Ossiriand

Upgrades units within the radius with Tempered Blades and Mallorn Bows.

Statue of Amroth Amdirion - 300

Cost: 200
Heroic Statue

Entmoot - 1000
Cost: 1000
Rank 1: Ent
Do I need an Ent description?

Mirror of Galadriel - 1500
Rank 1: Things That Are
Decreases recruitment time of Archers, Wardens, Sentinels and Marchwardens for a short time.
Rank 2: Things That Were - 600
Decreases cost of Nandor and Knights of Amroth. Player must maintain a Mirror to benefit from this upgrade.
Rank 3: Things That Have Not Yet Come To Pass - 1200
Mallorn Trees and Lórien Telain upgraded with Niphredil Bloom permanently produce +15% resources.

Spellbook

Tier 1

Horn of the Nandor: Rallying Call

You Can Go No Further: Stuns enemies caught within the radius for a short time

Leithio I Phillin: Arrow volley in a small radius

Tier 2

Gifts of Lórien: Targeted friendly heroes permanently gain a boost in armor and damage, and the ability to stealth in trees. Lothlórien heroes gain additional effects:
 - Galadriel - increased radius on her passives

- Celeborn - increased damage 
 - Idrial - reduced cooldowns
 - Celeglin - increased armour
 - Haldir and his bros - increased speed, vision and range
 - Treebeard - TBA

Silvan Allies: Summons 3 battalions of Silvan Rangers surrounding a Greenwood tree. The Greenwood tree casts a camouflaging mist.

Waters of Nimrodel: Summons a statue of Nimrodel in the center of a great pool of water. Friendly units within the pool are immune to debuffs. Increases resource production of nearby Mallorn Trees and Lórien Telain with Niphredil upgrade.

Mellyrn Seeds: Summons a patch of fertile earth from Galadriel's Orchard. Allows Mallorn Trees and Hidden Sanctums to be built in its radius. Structures built in the radius are stealthed and are built faster.

Tier 3

Eagles of the Mountains: Summon Eagles

Aiya Eärendil!Allied heroes and units temporarily gain increased resistance to magic damage. Enemy units will be stunned in fear. Enemy heroes temporarily lose speed and increased power recharge time.

Cast Down Its Walls: Structures in the radius receive heavy damage

Tier 4

Mists of Lothlorien: Cloaks friendly units, slows enemy units and deals heavy damage over time. Basically a death trap like Sunflare.

The Ring of Adamant: Strengthens and preserves everything within its radius. Units gain +300% armor, structures are repaired and gain +100% armor. Summons a large forest floor decal with tree props, sunrays, etc.

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

May Galadriel, at a certain level, gain her armour as seen in the concept art?

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 saruman_the_wise

saruman_the_wise

SarumanTheWise

• Project Team
  • 281 posts
  • Projects:Proud Beta/Alpha-tester of SaF and AotR

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

MattTheLegoman, on 04 Feb 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:MattTheLegoman, on 04 Feb 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

May Galadriel, at a certain level, gain her armour as seen in the concept art?

I hope she doesn't.....I've always found an armored Galadriel to be unbefitting (she's basically a sorceress with extreme power, armor is beneath her imo).

and for the Lady of Lothlorien spell, perhaps make it a buff towards nearby heroes like +15 armor, experience gain and fester ability recharge time, or a healing aura?

Edited by saruman_the_wise, 04 February 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#4 BorealisValkyrie

BorealisValkyrie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

Hello to everyone and greetings to the whole Revora Community! I'm completely new here and, as a first post, it will be absolutely great to give my feedback on the very recent update concerning Lothlórien. Particularly, I shall focus my attention on Galadriel, the leader and mightiest hero of the faction. Before I proceed with my own considerations, may I thank RoR for always being keen on listening to anything I suggested with the most open-minded attitude (thank you very much for having considered my proposals about her) and Fredius (he's probably known under other different names here) for having introduced me in the Age of the Ring universe equally.

Given my above-mentioned words, I really like the overall result of her set of abilities. I find it well-made, enough unique and fine-tuned with the general tone of the Mod, which, as I grasped, intends not to depart too much from BFME2 in regards of gameplay and strategy; that is, there is still a bit of the atmosphere of the vanilla game. I'm thus going to make a list, so that my considerations will be much more ordered than they would otherwise do in a long wall of text. If you didn't come up yet with suitable icon pictures for each ability, I would like to forward here the ones I deem very fitting for Galadriel and these abilities; I will explain the reasons behind each choice of mine.

1. Foresight: There's nothing much to add about it. It's a very natural of a feature of hers. A kind of homage to her renowned exceptional capability of perceiving the thoughts of other people and seeing beyond their intentions (be they Hobbits or Sauron himself). In the latter case, Galadriel referred in the books to her frequent telepathic clashes with Sauron across the vastness of Middle-earth; confrontations from which she always came out victorious. The picture I chose is taken from a scene of the Fellowship of the Ring, when she inspects the minds of the members of the Fellowship.

VSC1AQ2.gif

2. Lady of Lothlórien: Feeding from my past proposal, I would suggest this ability make Galadriel able to temporarily summon a sacred terrain (as the iconic Elven Wood of BFME1), comprising some golden trees and a kind of holy aura around the area of the very terrain. Within it, troops' armour will be enhanced and they will be continuously healed (until the effect wears off). In a conceptual perspective, such feature would be more unique than a common leadership and will bear a very significant meaning. As the one who made her realm a blissful sanctuary, immune to the decay of time, and planted the legendary Mallorn-trees, Galadriel shall thus be able to recreate that pure environment for a brief amount of time on the battlefield. The chosen image is an excerpt from the scene in which the Fellowship reaches Caras Galadhon in the first film; instead of what happens normally, I decided not to focus on the main gigantic tree, but rather on the background (that shows the vast enchanted woods of that realm in all their beauty).

CvyQWnm.gif

3. Bearer of Nenya: As with Foresight, little could I question in regards of this ability. It's really wonderful how Nenya is finally tied with the physical protection of the faction (structures), as the very Ring of Power (in conjuction with the inner magic of the Lady of Light) prevented Lothlórien from falling and caused the enemies to be repulsed during the three heavy assaults on the Golden Wood, at the time in which the War of the Ring was taking its gravest toll. Tolkien himself stated that no one but Sauron (wielding the One Ring) could have violated those lands and ultimately vanquished Galadriel. Nenya has also the power to slow the passing of time and render things unaltered throughout the centuries. Therefore, all these aspects do represent paramount themes that ought to be taken into account. Including them in the game was simply a very just and lore-accurate of a decision. I think the very graphical display of this ability should be well visible on all buildings affected (a temporary and intense brightness?). The picture I opted for shows the moment when she unveils Nenya to Frodo, in the Extended Edition of the first chapter.

qYjiwGe.gif

4. Light of Valinor: As a more-than-8000-year-old Noldorin princess from Aman, this is probably the feature that explores in the deepest manner her ancient characterisation and holy nature as a mighty Elf of Valinor, whose hair managed to capture a gleam of the lost light of the Two Trees of Valinor (a legendary legacy which even surpasses the very idea of a legend itself). In the game, it's certainly useful and much characteristic that her magic may serve as a shield from perilous situations. The image below kind of connects with the Undying Lands, for it's the scene when she tells that the Three Rings have ceased to have any effect on Middle-earth, ready to depart forever from the mortal shores.

ect1zei.gif

5. Queen of the Storms: Really, I guess it's definitely logical to end up with such ultimate ability. I like how you kept things quite simple, without the implementation of other intricate alternatives; the presence of the Queen of the Storms gives indeed that BFME2-like touch of the vanilla game, where she also appeared for the first time in this fashion. In Arda, the power to alter the weather according to one's own nature/magic is always regarded as the highest display of might in a hypothetical magical hierarchy (for instance, the perennial weather-perturbation over Mordor, the clouds of ashes that Sauron moves in the War of the Ring and the enchanted climate over Rivendell or the Golden Wood). I hope the Queen of the Storms shall be capable of conjuring proper storms (lightning and thunders). Furthermore, with the arts you dispose of, should this form get its own new model, I'm sure you will do an excellent work; concerning the model, I assume you are going to follow in the footsteps of her dark appearance in LOTR, which symbolises the dreadful essence of the Queen of the Storms much better than Drowned Galadriel from BOTFA would do (although I'm fond of this concept too). As for the icon picture, here it is her terrible look in all its sublime majesty.

fYCXra1.gif

These were my opinions on the matter. I hope you will appreciate them and deem my small proposals worthy of being considered. I will try to be enough active in this forum, alongside my moderating duties within the Edain Community. Thank you for the attention  ^_^

#5 saruman_the_wise

saruman_the_wise

SarumanTheWise

• Project Team
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

I for one am buying what your selling! my only grievance is with the Button image you chose for her Light of Valinor ability, I think the BM should look more like this;   https://s-media-cach...165e1aa4f1d.jpg, but all in all I your post was a good read :thumbsupxd:

Edited by saruman_the_wise, 05 February 2017 - 12:27 AM.

#6 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:55 AM

Glad to see you here DieWalküre and just as glad to see you approve of Galadriel's powers!

On the note of the Lady of Lothlorien power. I'm really on the fence with giving her a mallorn tree summon power. It's something I had been considering for it but was apprehensive of due to Lorien already having two mallorn summoning powers already. (Through the spellbook) I'm leaning a bit towards Saruman's idea of giving her a specific leadership to heroes, but I haven't decided yet. The name is still technically a placeholder though so it could be easily changed to something more fitting. Buttons we already have taken care of, though I appreciate the work you put into your buttons.

hpgalad2.png

Anyways, glad once again that you approve and hope to see you around here more.

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:56 AM

I hope she doesn't.....I've always found an armored Galadriel to be unbefitting (she's basically a sorceress with extreme power, armor is beneath her imo).

If the team is also not willing to have an armoured Galadriel and her drowned dress in Skirmish, then I request it for Campaign. ;)

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#8 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

Just wanna say welcome to the lion's den Walk! And yes an armoured Galadriel seems fun for the campaign, I agree :).

#9 BorealisValkyrie

BorealisValkyrie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

Thank you all for the kind words and for welcoming me. Dúnedain, if a leadership is what you have in mind, I would say it should thus be characterised by a quite unique effect; I don't know if there already are enough features in the faction with this specific function, but I always regard healing properties as the most interesting (and valuable). Her characterisation as a sorceress would probably require other ideas than the common enhancement of armour or attack, which most of these passive abilities normally grant.

Speaking about the buttons, if I may give my humble advice, I find some of the icon pictures I presented more suitable. Your choice for Foresight is indeed equally good, as the mirror deals with the whole vision theme as well. In regards of Lady of Lothlórien (the hypothetical leadership) my radiant sight of the woods of Lórien would convey the idea of Galadriel's rule (status) over her merry realm; I believe it's a powerful reference. The image showing Nenya gives, in my opinion, the exact idea of purity, thanks to the prevalence of a white-ish tone; it's the very tone that also connects the picture with the diamond-like essence of the Ring of Water. Furthermore, I like the button you came up with concerning Light of Valinor; as Saruman pointed out, although my picture reveals her royal side and is taken from the Grey Havens epilogue, that ethereal representation serves well for the purpose of the ability, since Galadriel is to burst with an intense radiance. At last, albeit being part of the same renowned sequence from LOTR, I think the direct sight of the Queen of the Storms' face in the immediate foreground would be much more impactful in the game. Her expression emanates that supernatural and dreadful aura which is perfectly apt for the context. Look at those eyes. Simply terrible!

The reason why I'm particularly fond of those images is due to the fact that I collected them from the EE HD version of LOTR, in which one can clearly notice that the general photography (all colours and chromatic tones) was rendered brighter and a good deal more vivid than the original. Henceforth, the presence of some of them (particularly, the woods of Lórien and Galadriel's dark expression) might really result in a better graphical outcome for her Palantír. These are obviously my personal views. Feel free to make whatever usage of them. I really fancy how all her most important traits (whether it be from the films or from the lore) are justly condensed by her set of abilities. That sort of simple yet exhaustive touch of the vanilla.

#10 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:42 PM

Hey, welcome to T3A and the AotR section!

The reason the buttons look the way they do is because I want our buttons to look somewhat stylized, 'button'-esque, game-like, etc. Screenshots, no matter how fitting, are, on their own, not button material. There's no customization or design element going on. In other words: anyone can do it, and I want all of our buttons to be totally unique and really created by us.

For Galadriel's, I took a few screenshots and broke them up, centered important elements, added stylized backgrounds, recolored/brightened/sharpened things, etc. The button of Galadriel pouring water, for instance, is heavily edited from the original image, in which the arm pouring the water and her face are too far apart. So is the one of her 'storm queen' form. Beyond that I look for icons or items associated with each hero to turn into buttons as well, adding new backgrounds (Caras Galadhon in Galadriel's case) and use glows or other contours to focus the audience's attention, etc. Remember, these buttons are extremely small in-game (64x64 pixels), so you have to consciously design them in order to make the right details stand out and draw the eye to what is important.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#11 BorealisValkyrie

BorealisValkyrie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

Ok, I understood your reasons. Thank you for the clarification, Mathijs. The last thing I would like to know: how will her normal attack perform in the game? Is it something like a small-scale blast (typical of a mass-slayer), something recalling when she smashes that Orc into pieces in BOTFA, or something she casts from afar?

#12 Elessar_the_King

Elessar_the_King
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

Hello folks! I'm AragornIIElessar from Moddb.

I am glad Lórien has its own faction, as the Galadhrim were isolated from their Mirkwood kin far in the north. The faction looks really unique, I especially the "regional" names, they fit perfectly with their warden-like nature, guardians of their ancestral homes.

I also like your ideas Borealis, those are inspirational. The little pictures are top notch too!

However, I have a question: I suppose the Elves of Mirkwood will get their own faction: so, how are you going to make them different? Like, perhaps matching a more guerilla/skirmish style, with light armoured units? Anti-monsters batallions? Or with designs from the Hobbit trilogy?

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

ettenmoors.jpg

#13 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

First of all welcome to the forums Elessar_the_King!

I think I can answer your question with a quote from Rider of Rohan about the Elven factions in the mod:

Lothlorien is pretty much based on the vanilla elven faction in terms of balance, also the faction plan is there to read as well.

Mirkwood will be a relatively weak faction early game with little offensive capability using rangers to defend their base until their mid game which unlocks their heavier troops. Their hero roster is also pretty limited.
Rivendell is quite different, using Dunedain and other troops from Eriador as their starting units until your able to afford the heavier more durable troops from Imladris. Rivendell might have more heroes than the others since it's covering more ground, but the heroes roles are more specific i.e. Halbarad would only give leadership to Dunedain.

And yes the units will use the designs from the Hobbit movies :).

Edited by Bashkuga, 06 February 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#14 Elessar_the_King

Elessar_the_King
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

That's good to hear! I always envisonned Mirkwood as a hit-and-run faction, relying heavily on their archers and spearmen to defend their borders.

Concerning Imladris, it's a perfect balance: so no Eriador's Free People is forgotten. High Elves should indeed be a lot more resilient and experienced, at the cost of the price! (and number of units per batallion too) =) .

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

ettenmoors.jpg

#15 kingsjewel

kingsjewel
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

Hi !  Will Radagast has the Hobbit movie design or the Shadow and Flame's desing? 

#16 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

Most likely the Hobbit design.

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#17 Elessar_the_King

Elessar_the_King
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

I am curious about the siege mechanics for Lórien. They got not much except Ents and Galadriel, but in the books they used Hithlain ropes to cross the rivers. This could be similar to siege ladders. Though I guess animations would be a pain in the **** . 

ettenmoors.jpg

#18 saruman_the_wise

saruman_the_wise

SarumanTheWise

• Project Team
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:10 AM

Hey, for the patrol system i was thinking; for me at least it would feel odd to have lorien elves wandering around the base where they would be vulnerable to attack. Therefore wouldn't make more sense and be unique compared to the other faction if every building of lothlorien was manned with a visible archer from the start? more could be added as the building's level increase and perhaps if possible enable opposing range units to be capable of damaging and even killing the archers (but have them replenished at regular intervals).

Or make all or alot of the buildings garrison-able with the garrisoned units visible or you know do whatever the hell you want.

#19 Elessar_the_King

Elessar_the_King
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

True! Especially Galadhrim were ever watchful, they used their flets to look out for the enemy. 

Concerning the siege mechanics: 

Could ropes as a siege engine be made on the SAGE engine? As I've proposed earlier, would that be possible? 

Edited by Elessar_the_King, 15 February 2017 - 01:01 PM.

ettenmoors.jpg

#20 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

I don't see how that'd work. There are hardly any walkable walls in the game, so what good would ropes do?

No fuel left for the pilgrims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users