BFME2 Losing connection after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CuppaTea

CuppaTea
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

First off, I've used the T3A servers before and they are amazing! Many thanks for all the work that has gone in to them! 

Anyway, that was on my old windows 7 laptop but that finally died so I got a new Win10 laptop but BFME2 doesn't seem to work on Win10 at all (has anyone found a way to do this? BFME1 works fine on win10). I just happened to have a copy of windows xp so put it on a virtual machine using vmware. I installed BFME2 and all the patches and t3a stuff and everything seemed to be fine. I logged on and to my amazement it worked.

However after about 10 seconds, still in the lobby, I got: Lost connection to The Battle for Middle-earth II onlineCapture3.PNG

I also find it very hard to login nowadays, very often seeing: Could not connect to The Battle for Middle-earth II online.

I've tried some of the fixes for not being able to log in such as refreshing NAT but I can't do the router port fixes because I can't change router settings because I'm using the student hall's internet (not wifi). I don't think this is the problem because I am occasionally able to log in and see the open play lobby (although interestingly anything I type in the chat box never seems to send). Also, clicking create game also seems to make me lose connection.

I've trawled through many forums but haven't found anyone with a similar problem to me.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Other info that might be relevant:
The virtual machine has:
Windows XP SP3
25GB of hard disc space
1GB of ram
The following vm network settings:vm_settings.PNG

#2 CuppaTea

CuppaTea
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

Small update:
I actually managed to have a short conversation with someone in the lobby just now which is more than it has ever done before. I went in to options to check my version number and when I returned from the options menu I could no longer send anything in the chat box and a few seconds later the connection was lost.

Does this help at all?

#3 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Online Admin

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Do you experience the same problems in BFME1?

Does bridged mode network mode work? What's your local connection configuration?

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

#4 CuppaTea

CuppaTea
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

I haven't tried BFME1 because I haven't installed it on the VM yet but I'll try that at the weekend when I have more time.

By bridged network mode do you mean try and create a game on "Network" and not "online"? If so then this seems to work fine! Also when you ask for my local connection configuration do you mean my Windos xp settings or the vm network settings or the in-game settings? I'll be happy to send a screenshot, just tell me what you need to see and where it is.

Since my last post I just tried switching off the antivirus software and things seems better, it still took an attempt or two to actually log on but I did successfully 'create a game' although no-one was online to join but that is further than I ever got before. It seems strange that with the antivirus on it still works sometimes. I'd expect it stop me logging on at all but I can still log in sometimes with the antivirus on. I'll remember to switch it off though from now on.

Also, in the short time it was working I always had the red dot showing the connection is poor but speedtest.net said I have a ping of 3ms Download of 57.46Mbps and upload of 56.36Mbps which is decent enough isn't it? Does it mean something else by poor connection?

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by CuppaTea, 13 February 2017 - 11:00 PM.

#5 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Online Admin

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:06 PM

Antivir is sometimes causing trouble with the launcher. Same goes for additional VPN devices.

You can see who is online via https://t3aonline.net/

For BFME2 you can also check the skype group that's linked from the site.

The red dot might be buggy, usually it updates after a while. If it works for now I'd keep trying with the current config.

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users