"Middle-earth: Shadow of war"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Elessar_the_King

Elessar_the_King
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:00 AM

Looks like there's an upcoming Tolkien's based game...

http://www.pcgamer.c...-of-war-leaked/

"A sequel to Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor has been leaked by US retail chain Target, via an online booboo that, at the time of writing, hasn't yet been fixed. Titled Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, the sequel will see Talion and his ghost buddy Celebrimbor teaming up once again to have another crack at Mordor. According to the Target description, you'll "go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses and dominate Mordor from within". And in case there was any doubt, the Nemesis system will return, creating "unique personal stories with every enemy and follower".

I particularly like the bit about confronting the "full power" of Sauron and the Ringwraiths in this game, suggesting encounters with the Big Eye himself and his ethereal chums, rather than just a procession of increasingly powerful orcs and uruk-hai.

In addition to the base game, a 'gold' edition of Shadow of War has also leaked, containing two story expansions that will a new campaign, playable character, abilities, side missions and more. There will also be two 'nemesis' expansions include as part of the gold edition, which will whack in a new orc tribe, fortress, and other bits and bobs. On PS4 and Xbox One, the standard edition will set you back $60, while the gold one will retail for $100.

There's no mention of a PC version in the leak, but seeing as the original game released on PC as well as consoles, it seems a safe bet. According to Target, Shadow of War will release on August 22. It's once again being developed by Monolith, and being published by Warner Bros, a representative of whom is no doubt typing one furious email right about now.

Have a read of our Shadow of Mordor review if you're inspired to play the original game, or our lament to the fact that its inspired Nemesis system, to date, remains un-stolen."

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

ettenmoors.jpg

#2 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

I enjoyed much of the previous game and this just seems about the same things with slighlty modifications. Nevertheless I will get this game and play it. :p

#3 Elessar_the_King

Elessar_the_King
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

It could be fun indeed.

I just hope they won't massacre the lore too much! xD

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

ettenmoors.jpg

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

The people who come up with these Tolkien game names have a very limited vocabulary.  Might as well call it Middle Shadow: The Shadow of Shadowmeer.

#5 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

They made the announcement trailer:

https://www.facebook...hc_ref=NEWSFEED

#6 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

Never forget, Shadow of Mordor is the reason why WB killed the Skyrim MERP mod.

It seems like we might see Minas Morgul or Barad-dur in this game.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#7 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

#RipMERP

Ignoring the hilariously bad title, the hilariously disconnected nature of the game's themes and story to Tolkien's legendarium... I did enjoy SoM's gameplay and sort of isolated narrative/dynamic between Talion and Celebrimbor. Seeing Minas Morgul, the Nine, and what appear to be actual trolls (not those dumb Graug-things) is a good sign to me. The decision to swap out trolls and wargs for their weird, basically identical replacements is one of the things I understood the least in SoM.

That Balrog though... eh.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#8 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

I actually like that we will see new places. Like Minas Ithil for example, I always wanted to see Minas Morgul pre-corruption and this one looks pretty damn neat.

Edited by NewErr, 27 February 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#9 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

So... someone forged a ring...

In my opinion the whole story thing from what i gather could be thought out much more believable whilst staying more lore true than this... which sounds like some child was hired to write the freaking story.

No doubt the gameplay and all that will be fine, maybe even good, since that was the case in the first game... But lore wise, this new stuff is much worse than what I thought was questionable with the "War in the North" when that first came out...

Oh well, nothing we can do about it, suppose as always they make the games purely to sell, and decide that a very crappy story which is good enough for an average player to listen to is good enough...

Such a shame, so much can be done in this universe without such a 'extreme' story, but i guess everyone want's to be a hero in a game nowadays :p

Ridder Geel

#10 Agandaur2404

Agandaur2404
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:28 AM

There should be a game like Shadow of War, but with playing as an orc. You'd start as a simple, low - rank orc, but with possibilities to gain power by doing tasks for the captains or murdering other orcs. With enough power you could become a captain yourself, or, later on, even the warchief or the overlord with own fortress and orcs under your command. There would be a variety of orc tribes to join and fighting styles to use, and that all would affect your strenghts and weaknesses. However, the higher you'd rise in the hierarchy, the more likely other orcs would've started to feel jealous and threatened by you, and they'd plot to kill or humiliate you in order to take your place.

So basically the Nemesis system, but with player being a part of it, rather than trying to destroy it from the inside like in the original game. I think it also would be more true to Tolkien's lore, as I find the portrayal of orcs the most interesting and true to Middle Earth's lore aspect of Shadow of War. Talion and Celebrimbor, while certainly being the interesting characters, don't really fit into Middle Earth in my opinion (yeah, I know Celebrimbor actually is in the Tolkien's lore, I'm just talking about his portrayal in the game).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users