Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

In my mental compendium of shows that got canceled for no reason, here are my 5 favorite ones.  By sheer coincidence, they are also the universal top 5 best ones.  No, Firefly is not on this list.

# 5

Constantine

In 2014, NBC had the crazy idea of assembling an elite team of writers to create a show based on a witty Englishman that comically fought demons by fiddling around with horribly powerful arcane relics he has no business fiddling around with.  It was an incredible mix of cynical humor and philosophy that managed to get a cast of characters that were far from unmemorable.  It was canceled after a single season since NBC stands for something that implies it's run by morons.

# 4

Columbo

Hang on dumbo, Columbo was never canceled.  The show was made in 1971, hiring Peter Faulk as a socially awkward detective that was a savant at solving cases.  Yes, in 10 seasons, he managed to solve every case in the first 25 minutes of every episode, but at least he was entertaining.  The show was wildly successful, even getting a spin-off show about his wife (terrible).  They revived the show in 2003, but due to young folks not wanting to watch an old man bother people, the revive never picked up.  

# 3

The Borgias

Airing in 2011, The Borgias was about the Borgia family's unethical misadventures after the head of the family, (played by Jeremy Irons) Rodrigo Borgia becomes the Pope in the 16th century.  The family was involved in a slew of scandals and murders based off of real history, creating one of the most compelling and emotional historic television series in history.  The show was cancelled after 3 seasons for... probably bull crap.

# 2

Stargate Universe

Stargate Universe was the widely anticipated spin-off of Stargate SG1, featuring a cast of scientists and solders that are forced to survive together while stranded in a derelict alien ship billions of light-years out in space.  It was one of the most successful mixes of science fiction and drama, but it was canceled since SyFy simply refused to leave it in one time slot in season 2, loosing thousands of viewers due to complete incompetence.  It currently is running a page called Save Stargate Universe, and so far, over 100,000 people have been requesting Netflix to revive the series.  I have checked the page every day since 2011, waiting for the show to come back.  It will.

# 1

Salem

Yea, yea... my favorite show of last year was canceled.  I've told you already that it is 100%, without debate, the most well-written television show ever created, but WGN does not know how to properly advertise, so the show eventually just failed.  Strange, since the only episode that was criticized by the fans was the final episode, which was forced to rewrite since it was cancelled in the middle of its gawd dayum last season.  Salem is a show that made no mistake except being ahead of its time on a dying network and I absolutely expect someone actually qualified to pick this series up and continue it.  What a shame.

#2 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

No Firefly and 24?

#3 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

#youcan'ttaketheskyfromme

Also props for mentioning SG:U, that show was amazing and ridiculously underrated, and I particularly liked it because of how different it was to SG1 and SG:A with the reality of the fact that people shoved together into an environment simply don't get on well.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:32 AM

Firefly was good, but it's not better than a lot of modern dramas that were cancelled.  And 24 wasn't really cancelled - they just couldn't hold Keiffer for 24 episodes during the final season, and fans understandably felt it was way too short.  But they brought it back anyway with that 24 Legacy crap.

And don't you worry, SGU will come back one day.  As Rush said before he got headbutted, "We'll never be done."  It would be an incredible lesson to SighFy since they had the gull to blame the show's writers for the failure of the series.  Yea... like their ghost hunter shows are better than Universe... as if.

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

What about Jericho? That show had its faults, but it deserved a longer run. Beyond that I can't say Human Target was cancelled after season 1, but season 2 was vastly inferior, so for me it was canceled after season 1.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:44 AM

I saw a few episodes of Jericho out of order, and it has been recommended to me once before.  From what I've seen, it just looked like a low-budget junkyard thriller.  Mad Max meets Book of Eli, then unmeets Mad Max in a sudden realization they can't afford cool vehicle combat scenes. And Human Target was... decent.

One thing I sort of regret not putting on my list was Terra Nova.  Did anyone see that?  It lasted an unprecedented FULL season on FOX, the got slagged.  The middle few episodes sort of killed it, but the ending was so good, I had to recheck my news feed 6 times when I read that it got canceled.  The ending was them basically sending carnivorous dinosaurs to the future just to screw their evil corporation overlords over, which was amazing.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users