animation mental omega project

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 NoSpoons

NoSpoons
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hello everyone, I'll start off with a brief introduction of myself then I'll move straight to business.

My name is NoSpoons or just Spoons and I'm new to the forums, I'm a student studying Game design and I'm a big fan of Mental Omega(who could have guessed)

Recently we were given the task of creating a professional animated intro sequence for an existing game of our choice, naturally the first this I asked is if we could do mods as well, and the answer was yes, so as you probably guessed again, my choice was MO.

Which leads me to why I made this Topic, I really wanted to get community feedback as I progressed with the animation, and also if i had any questions I'd have a place where i could get answers from more knowledgeable people.

Basically my pitch for the sequence will be combat between Invading Chinese forces and the Foehn, now words on a screen don't really convey how cool an idea for an animation is so hopefully I'll have a story board done by Tuesday so that everyone can get a better understanding of what it will look like.

So for my first few questions, 

Is there anywhere that I can find 3D models of the Foehn and Chinese units,(I've checked Moddb and there are a few worth using but I couldn't find enough) ,this would really help when dealing with some of the more complex units such as the Megalodon its difficult to create a good representation of the unit from a small pixel reference

Is the track "Last Line of Defense" free from copy right?, I just want to make sure if I need to pay World Beyond for its rights or nah.

And last but probably most important, do i have permission to make this animation in the first place, this i suppose is mainly directed to Speeder and the devs but I had no idea how else I should go about asking them, this felt the simplest. 

Here are some of the details, I'll update this as I make Progress

Time Frame : 4-5 months (I'm working by myself so it's gonna take a while lol

Current project state : conceptual/experimental.

But anyway, I hope everyone is excited as excited for this project as I am :p

#2 Damfoos

Damfoos

When world domination haven't cured the emptiness inside

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Projects:Translation of various cool C&C mods.
  •  Mental Omega Russian Translator

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hey, this sounds great, can't wait to see the final result! :D

Though, I'm not sure if late Foehn tech (such as Megalodons) can co-exist with Chinese tech (and China as an independent faction) in lore: Foehn is supposedly the last bastion of free will, while every other faction have lost their war long ago. Wouldn't it be better to make Foehn fight Epsilon instead?

As for permission, I think any mod (and even game) developer would like to see more fan art dedicated to his mod, so if it won't contradict the lore, why not?

Best of luck!

Edited by Damfoos, 15 March 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#3 NoSpoons

NoSpoons
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

Though, I'm not sure if late Foehn tech (such as Megalodons) can co-exist with Chinese tech (and China as an independent faction) in lore: Foehn is supposedly the last bastion of free will, while every other faction have lost their war long ago. Wouldn't it be better to make Foehn fight Epsilon instead?

Yeah, I am aware of the lore clash but I was thinking more along the lines of representing the game as one would see it during a skirmish where time line isn't a concern, not to mention although it would be more time line friendly to include the Epsilon instead they usually acquire victory through more deceptive means :ph34r: , (in the lore that is... brute spam tactic isn't lore friendly) ,so I feel depicting an all out assault by the Epsilon against Foehn wouldn't pair as nicely as the Soviets who's whole shtick is brute strength and attacking an opponent head on with powerful forces... but to be honest my main reason for pairing them against the Chinese is so i have an excuse to throw in some of the really cool units like the the Centurion, terror drones, Nuwa Cannons and Qilin tanks and so forth.

So unless the next team is released soon I personally feel they are the best match... :wink_new:

However as said above i'm always open to new ideas and we can always make changes while there is time.

Thanks for your input its really appreciated! :thumbsuphappy:

#4 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

Actually, Brute spam would be quite lore friendly, considering some Act 2 missions, same with the all out assault by Epsilon, seeing Juggernaut.

Good luck getting any 3D models though. I've been asking for them for a time now, got no answer, even though I'd likely have at least some sort of capability doing some CGI, considering I'm a game developer myself; though mostly a game/level designer, if I'd be a modeler, I'd need no models. :V

But anyways, I hope there'll be something coming out of this, would be curious about the results.

#5 Shelbythetriagularsquare

Shelbythetriagularsquare

Shelby

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Nice to see talent in the MO community, I've not been seeing fanart for a while but this really got my hopes up again, I can't wait for the final result!

Spoiler

#6 NoSpoons

NoSpoons
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

Nice to see talent in the MO community, I've not been seeing fanart for a while but this really got my hopes up again, I can't wait for the final result!

thanks, more support is always appreciated with a big project :p

Actually, Brute spam would be quite lore friendly, considering some Act 2 missions, same with the all out assault by Epsilon, seeing Juggernaut.

haha maybe we can do an animation of this too, Brutes, Magnetrons and a whole bunch of flying saucers

#7 Revan0123

Revan0123
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  •  Former Sith Lord who's stuck on earth, playing Video Games :P

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

I'm really interested to see how this goes, the mod is in desperate need of cutscenes. Don't get me wrong, I like reading text as much as the next guy (Since I love reading novels) but some cutscenes every now and then really help the mod.

The cutscenes we have currently are more slideshows or picture animations than actual cutscenes.

#8 Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna Kapsyla

The Badman

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Projects:Too Many To List
  •  Dr. Nitpick von Shitpost

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

The problem with cutscenes is, we would either Voice Actors for the cutscenes, or actual actors and props for proper cutscenes.

And that would require money.

I'm also 99.99% sure Speeder and the team won't accept donations for the sake of cutscenes.

#9 Revan0123

Revan0123
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

What about the voice actors they got for the units that they personally voiced (And not just ripped the voices from other games)?

Maybe you could have them voice the cinematics? I mean they don't have to appear onscreen, if you want to save on making sets and props, but have voice actors say their lines over some animation sequence going on and it would be fine.

And why not accept donations? I mean, they're not gonna use it for their own financial gain.

Edited by Revan0123, 19 March 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#10 Flandre

Flandre

Saury Hunter

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  Defense Order

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

The question, will it be animated or CG? It doesn't matter how.

Also we need more women (translate as girls) to take role in MO

3qPyjQ8.png

#11 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

I think MO should have more in-game voiceovers, that are also subtitled. Because currently we either have all the story play out in subtitles, or have very hard to hear voice acting without subtitles. There should be both. And maybe there could be new advisors to the player instead of reusing the old EVA voicefiles for the very limited amount of situations. Maybe using some in-house voices. Like how I suggested having the Tyrant as an Epsilon aide to the player, because it's Speeder, so you could have Speeder berating you in game how much you suck or something like that. :V

And then I'd feel once the Foehn campaign is released, the VOLKNET seems to be a character that could be used for this as well, with a readily available voice.

#12 Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna Kapsyla

The Badman

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Projects:Too Many To List
  •  Dr. Nitpick von Shitpost

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

And why not accept donations? I mean, they're not gonna use it for their own financial gain.

Because that crosses the Gray Legality line of "Making a game based off of someone else's game without their permission", and into "We're making money off of this game that we're making off of somebody else's game without their permission, even if all we're using the money for is to fuel it back into the game."

The team wants to remain where they are in terms of legal standings, and not risk the Megalithic Titan that is EA breathing down their necks with a Cease and Desist order.

I think MO should have more in-game voiceovers, that are also subtitled. Because currently we either have all the story play out in subtitles, or have very hard to hear voice acting without subtitles. There should be both. And maybe there could be new advisors to the player instead of reusing the old EVA voicefiles for the very limited amount of situations. Maybe using some in-house voices. Like how I suggested having the Tyrant as an Epsilon aide to the player, because it's Speeder, so you could have Speeder berating you in game how much you suck or something like that. :V

And then I'd feel once the Foehn campaign is released, the VOLKNET seems to be a character that could be used for this as well, with a readily available voice.

Something like this would be cool, honestly. But it'd probably be more effort than it's worth to make new EVA voice files for the three factions.

Clearly what we need to do is look into this piece of technology.

#13 Revan0123

Revan0123
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Because that crosses the Gray Legality line of "Making a game based off of someone else's game without their permission", and into "We're making money off of this game that we're making off of somebody else's game without their permission, even if all we're using the money for is to fuel it back into the game."

The team wants to remain where they are in terms of legal standings, and not risk the Megalithic Titan that is EA breathing down their necks with a Cease and Desist order.

Ah...fair point, I didn't think about that :x

#14 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

Clearly what we need to do is look into this piece of technology.

:o

That is awesome

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#15 Shelbythetriagularsquare

Shelbythetriagularsquare

Shelby

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

That is brilliant!

Spoiler

#16 NoSpoons

NoSpoons
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

The question, will it be animated or CG?

It starts off hand drawn then it's moved into after effects for... uh special effects? :p

#17 hxazgalor

hxazgalor

Rear Admiral, 17th Imperial Fleet

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Projects:MO Wikia, Fan Fiction Works on AO3, Tiberium Cruentus
  •  Writer/Thinker/Gamer

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:43 AM

Looking forward to this. On the subject of music, if you plan to use one of World Beyond's songs, you'll need to contact him directly to know what he'd prefer re his music being used. That's the safest option :)

I Write Stuff. Sorta.

AO3: https://archiveofour...vericklaw/works

#18 NoSpoons

NoSpoons
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Deadlines and stuff

Oh geez did I say Tuesday?, I meant to say I'm a massive procrastinator who spends more time playing MO than I should, but rest assured work is actually happening :)

#19 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

Is there anywhere that I can find 3D models of the Foehn and Chinese units,(I've checked Moddb and there are a few worth using but I couldn't find enough) ,this would really help when dealing with some of the more complex units such as the Megalodon its difficult to create a good representation of the unit from a small pixel reference

The only models that we had were the ones used for the 3.0 installation screens (not sure if we still have them). Everything else has to be made from scratch.
ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

#20 Damfoos

Damfoos

When world domination haven't cured the emptiness inside

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Projects:Translation of various cool C&C mods.
  •  Mental Omega Russian Translator

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

I thought you have the source files for Megalodon, it clearly has textures and size different from that sprite from RoS.

To OP: perhaps this guy still has it, he is the one who made it for his own mod before he made its assets available for use in other projects:

http://www.moddb.com...ers/holy-master

As for voxel models, voxel editor (VXLSE) has a feature to convert voxels into textured 3d models (.obj + .mtl), although such a model will only give you the general shape and scale and won't look good enough on its own. Alternatively you can just open the voxel model and study it using 3D view of the editor. Either way you'll have to ask for these voxel models first because they are locked within mod archives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users