Photo

Would you be willing to switch to Linux if Windows sucked?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,187 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:01 PM

I do not like the way how shitty Microsoft/Intel/AMD are limiting with their products. With Intel's Kaby Lake and AMD's Ryzen supporting Microsoft to only support Windows 10, that's good for gamers who wanted to play DirectX 12 material, but terrible for everyone else especially for those who wanted to a buy/make a new PC. I highly doubt older Windows OSs and Linux/Mac OS X can run in virtual machines under those new CPU chips.

Windows 10 is barely improving and even Linux/Mac OS X are getting far better with their features and not putting in their spyware/Internet crap and excluding a lot of stuff that should have stayed there like what Windows 10 have right now. If Microsoft maintains a lot of material (including older drivers), the Windows 10 download or physical disc should be as large as Mac OS versions over 10.5 (which fits for a dual-layer DVD). Even as of now, Windows 10 is NOT the world's largest operating system. When you google that term, Windows 7 lands as the world's largest operating system with Linux Ubuntu as the second largest.

Would you be willing to switch to Linux if Windows sucked?

I am about one step away to try using Linux for older PCs. Newer PCs can use Windows 10, which I don't care but I already know Microsoft/Intel/AMD are planning to strip away 32-bit soon forcing you to buy/make a PC that's only 64-bit compatible and only Windows 10. 

On another topic, guess what China is using to counter Microsoft, a OS replacement to WinXP named NeoKylin using Linux material:

Source: https://qz.com/50538...replace-windows

Spoiler

Edited by PurpleGaga27, 16 March 2017 - 11:04 PM.

#2 Gambit

Gambit

title available

• Members
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

Well, as far as my needs extend, Linux covers 99% of them.

Have been using a dual-boot config for many years now.

For all internet tasks, Linux is by far better. No immediate need of firewalls, anti-viruses, etc. And much safer operation, in general.

And for causal video/audio/image/text editing and a plethora of other tasks, Linux is more than enough for me.

Bottomline, I do not see why I would use Windows,.... other than gaming and specific applications (just a couple).

Edited by Gambit, 17 March 2017 - 03:15 PM.

-In search of Papasmurf...

#3 Kink

Kink
  • New Members
  • 1 posts
  • Projects:Azaroth Legends (My Game)
  •  Developer

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:54 PM

100% would switch to linux

I value the fact that I can watch what my OS is doing while installing updates. With Windows, all you get is a percentage (which is not an indicator of progress at all, since it hardly reflects the average length of update installation), and spinning circles. Sure, the Windows update is a bit more elegant than seeing a spray of white text on black background, but at least I can see what my PC is doing with the terminal.

#4 Guest_protoman1008_*

Guest_protoman1008_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:06 PM

I wouldn't be able to make the switch to Ubuntu as example.

Freaking hate that damn Terminal thing + not all apps I use runs on Linux OS.

It wouldn't even last a whole day till I'd switch back to Windows. ._.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users