#1 hxazgalor

hxazgalor

Just Some Random Dude

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Projects:MO Wikia
  •  Fee-Fye-Foehn-Fum

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

Been writing a Star Wars fanfic that isn't primarily Rey/Finn, Reylo, or whatever other romances SW fans are crazy about. This one's set in the Legends continuum, involving an alternate universe in a post-Battle of Endor galaxy where a splinter Imperial remnant led by an ambitious Force wielder aims to build a new Empire, while having to deal with the other Imperial remnants and a growing New Republic.

It's still WIP, and I'm overhauling some of the initial chapters, but you can still read it here: http://archiveofouro...g/works/6736291

Comments and feedback are most welcome. Thanks for reading this, and I hope you enjoy my writings :)

"Did you just call me a shrub???"

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 8,673 posts
  • Projects:YouTube
  •  Actual Celebrity
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Can't be a worse writer than George Lucas and his merry band of plot hole diggers.  Sure, I'll give it a peek later.

YT_Sig.jpgoutput_Fkd6it.gifFB_Sig.jpg

#3 hxazgalor

hxazgalor

Just Some Random Dude

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  Fee-Fye-Foehn-Fum

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

Many thanks, Pasidon :)

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

You ever heard the story about the scorpion and the frog?

• Division Leaders
  • 13,442 posts
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Leader

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

From what I've glanced so far, you know how to write. Could stand to be a little more conservative in terms of word count and more liberal in editing, but then, I'm not used to fantasy/sci-fi reading so I might be applying the wrong set of standards. Will read more later.

“The special quality of hell is to see everything clearly down to the last detail.” ~ Yukio Mishima, The Temple of the Golden Pavilion

#5 hxazgalor

hxazgalor

Just Some Random Dude

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  Fee-Fye-Foehn-Fum

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:16 AM

Many thanks Mathijs. I'm actually trying to go for short chapters, tbh, but there are times when that can't be avoided for the sake of exposition, etc. Most sci-fi novels go for long chapters, but then again that's only among the books I've read.

What do you mean by "more liberal in editing" though? Would like your feedback on that :)

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 8,673 posts
  • Projects:YouTube
  •  Actual Celebrity
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

Sorry my feedback was so delayed, but I blame you for writing so much.

You certainly beat the Star Wars standard since you managed to take your time and actually focus on making compelling scenes with more than just laser swooshing and generic explosions.  On MOST occasions, I should elaborate.  I can tell you played these scenes out mentally and were careful with them, and I believed you even confirmed this theory by saying you imagined a certain scene playing out like a trailer in one certain footnote.  That's very notable since I think the best lessons of good mental cinematography from Star Wars movies are the trailers.  

Your writing style is solidly consistent with very few grammatical errors, you have a suitable balance between action and dialogue (probably the most crucial thing I was looking out for in a Star Wars piece), and you managed to give attention to details.  The major issue with the piece is that very little of it surprises.  You use very commonplace metaphors and expressions, such as comparing tightly adhered things to glue, playing coy, or the typical and entirely expected stinging nostril.  Also, the dialogue wasn't very interesting.  Each instance was perfectly ordinary and believable, which in turn, wasn't engaging to me.  The bit about "un-learning" was worth a brow raise, though.  It's fitting that scenes of the Empire are very proper and anti-spontaneous, but that's why I usually don't like fan fiction since the authors usually feel forced (ha) to follow certain rules laid out by completely different authors.  

To improve from here, I think you should start breaking a few of your own personal rules and adding details that are entirely fitting to your universe, yet remaining unexpected.  The entire point of reading fiction is to observe unknowns and diverse perspectives, so for your next chapter, think more like a magician than a writer.  Readers do enjoy being mystified once in awhile.

YT_Sig.jpgoutput_Fkd6it.gifFB_Sig.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star wars, writing, fan fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users