Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

Hi chaps,

S'been a while. Rather hoping I can beg a few minutes of a few of your time to help me with my Masters MSc project.

Basically, I'm looking for victims participants for my MSc study. Here's a bit about it:

I am currently undertaking a MSc in Forensic Mark Comparison at the University of Wolverhampton - the focus of my study is to determine whether infrared 'night vision' CCTV affects one's ability to identify a subject from the imagery.
Basically, all you have to do is look at a few CCTV clips and try to identify the filmed individual from a series of photos. It is literally that straightforward.

I would just ask that, if you start, please finish - I have quite a lot of unusable ones because people did maybe three then clicked off. :(

The link to the survey is: https://www.classmarker.com/online-test/start/?quiz=t765903dd4aeac29 . The front page contains more detailed information.

Many thanks for any takers.

Ash/Paradox/Comrade Jerkov/Whatever else you know me as or refer to me as behind my back. :)

#2 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

Done.

• Ash likes this

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

Cheers pal :)

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

I would be very interested in reading your finished work with this.  I'm currently conducting a related study and I had not yet considered infrared exposure in it.  I'll see if I can get you a few extra participants.

#5 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

Much appreciated. What is your study on, out of interest? As I don't float round here so much anymore feel free to keep in touch with me at ash@forensicvideo.co.uk - I might be able to offer some assistance, and I'll let you know how my study turns out.

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

I've been studying the psychological effects of prolonged exposure to digital imagery.  Your project seems to be focused on short-term exposure, but I am curious how infrared imagery effects cognitive stimuli in comparison to standard resolutions.  Yea, I can keep in contact, though I do hope you post more of your research in the future.  Revora has had a disturbing lack of interest in the sciences recently.

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Or ever. :p

I wasn't aware there were psychological effects of exposure to digital imagery? Or is it the specific content of the imagery that is important? So, for example, criminal offence or road traffic collision footage?

#8 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

So you're not trying to find the person most likely to get away with a bank robbery?

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:56 AM

The women with glasses would win that category.

There is plenty of weird psychology involved with basic exposure to televised imagery.  Looking at screens all day is so common in this decade, it's not difficult to believe human behavior is dictated by specific combinations of imagery and color generated by monitors and televisions.  For example, I'm certain this very conversation would be entirely different if Revora wasn't so blue.  Content can be important as well, thanks to wondrous effects of mirror neurons.  Mammals learn and adapt based on observation, so if you would expose a common person to footage of criminal activity, there is a weighted chance that this individual's unique neural chemistry, based on their catalog of observational data, would cause them to either feel sympathy or indifference.  But with the right combinations of color and imagery integrated with the same video, as well as sound, it is shockingly easy to force feelings of sympathy / indifference, usually regardless of the content.

#10 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

Next time, consider putting in somebody physically attractive instead of the mutations and social degenerates of the current batch.

Edit: Identifying subjects on the night vision camera was substantially easier.  There was less natural light glare obfuscating facial characteristics. 

Edited by Caspa, 08 June 2017 - 09:55 AM.

Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#11 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for that feedback - I'll be sure to mention that. It wasn't really possible to control for the light but I sort of figured it'd be a problem...

You have no idea how fucking hard it was to get people to actually participate. Worse, I only had literally two days to play with since I live in Peterborough (much to my annoyance) and study in Wolverhampton...

#12 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

Ah, Wolverhampton.  Where the women look like men, the men look like potatoes and I was too disturbed to go into a grocers to find out what the potatoes looked like.  I don't know if it was because the night vision mode was monochromatic or if the lighting quality was better or even if it was just the higher contrast but even with the inherent grain, the details were a lot clearer and more defined with night vision.

Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#13 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

We can always rely on you to come around when lighting and small cities in England need ridiculed, Caspa.

#14 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:56 AM

He isn't wrong though. Toss up which is the bigger shithole, Wolverhampton or Peterborough.

Also, bump. Really need moar people...cajole friends and family please!

#15 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

We may have to disguise it as some sort of click-bait quiz, promising free fidget spinners if you get all the questions right.

#16 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

Probably.

Bump. :p

Survey closes at the end of the month - I have 67 completed so far - would love to get to triple figures. :)

Many thanks in anticipation.

#17 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

Fuck it. What've I to lose.

Bump.

#18 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:14 AM

Dignity and pride.  How many do you need now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users