Photo

I Wonder What The Foehn Origin Missions Are About?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#1 isaac103

isaac103

title available

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:39 AM

So this is my guess as to what the missions regarding the Foehn Revolt are about:

Nobody Home: The Mental Omega war has ended, Yuri and his Epsilon army have finally taken over the world after the Mental Omega device has activated. Meanwhile, in Alaska, surviving Allied and Soviet forces have taken refugee in an underground bunker. During this time, they combine their tech genius and try to find ways to overcome Yuri's mind-control. The Paradox Engine, having transported the survivors to Alaska, has been converted into the Coronia flying airbase and will be used by the Wings of Coronia. This mission has you clearing out a nearby Epsilon military installation to make room for a Foehn base. I'm guessing you'll be playing as Hailhead in this mission....

Kill The Messenger: This mission sees you probably removing a traitor within the Foehn Revolt. Your objectives are to chase down and kill the messenger.

The Rement: The remains of the Foehn resistance have been finally cornered. This mission sees you being pitted against Epsilon forces as they fight for every square inch of land to prevent their demise. 

Again, these are just guesses.....hopefully Speeder isn't too mad at me for guessing all of this....

#2 Hardric62

Hardric62
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

Weeeell... The mission loading screen for Nobody Home shows an attack against an Epsilon base in Kashmir, with the attack coming from the the general direction from the Xinjiang complex destroyed in Heartwork, hinting at a link with China's early efforts for cyborg production. Besides, with the way ACt 1 went for Epsilon, I think Foehn units will be a steadily rising minority among your units during these missions.

The Foehn units which could be present for now are: Knightframe and Gharial (Heartwork), Jackal and Lancer (prototypes seen but destroyed), and perhaps the Mastodon, early version (the picture of the trailer showing Foehn troops defending Soviet Silos with them).

#3 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:34 AM

Mental Omega device has activated.

Still no hint about this existed in Act 2 though :v

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#4 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Also, as Speeder said, the missions will be released when the current ACT2 storyline reaches a certain point. And it was confirmed that they will be released in 3.3.3, meaning, that they take place after the missions of 3.3.2, not likely after the missions of 3.3.3. (likely the final ACT2 missions).

#5 Tathmesh

Tathmesh

title available

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  Degenerate Haihead Main

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

My prediction is that, based on what Speeder said, the Foehn origins are those Chinese forces in Heartwork trying to conduct some kind of operation while the Soviets, Epsilon, and Allies have their final battle. The proto-Foehn know the Soviets and Allies are fucked but they'll use this opportunity to attack an Epsilon base, since Yuri recalled all his forces, perhaps to the Mental Omega Device. Hence, Nobody Home.

#6 Sven Co. Op

Sven Co. Op

Knightframe "Custom" Suit Pilot

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  The Few, The Proud, The Foehn

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:22 AM

My guesses follow on the current premises that is given:

Nobody Home

- Same as Hardic62's post above. I'm guessing that the majority of Foehn prototypes were "tested" in battle in Kashmir, with a small remainder being destroyed in Heartwork around the same time. Another guess is that the area in particular might be housing prototype particle colliders, and an Epsilon base nearby is threatening it's safety, thus taking over the base in the process. 

Kill the Messenger

- Most likely info about the prototypes has slipped out, and in an effort to preserve the secret, you are tasked with tracking down and killing the informant/forces. Might have been resulted from the actions taken in Nobody Home.

The Remnant

- Seeing as this is an Origin mission, this is what probably take place right after Death's Hand, Hamartia, and Babel, where the shattered remnants of the Allies and Soviets band together and form the foundations that lead to the Foehn Revolt.

Just to add to this, under the pretext that these are under an "origin story," it might mean that the Foehn Revolt may get their own campaign in the long run, taking place many years after the end of the Mental Omega War. I do want to speak more about this by giving my insight from the Foehn unit descriptions, but I want to see if we are all on the same page about this before I do.

"I had normal life, till the day our thoughts got clouded in a dark shroud. My home was destroyed, then they found me, or rather, I found them.

#7 Hardric62

Hardric62
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

My guesses follow on the current premises that is given:

Nobody Home

- Same as Hardic62's post above. I'm guessing that the majority of Foehn prototypes were "tested" in battle in Kashmir, with a small remainder being destroyed in Heartwork around the same time. Another guess is that the area in particular might be housing prototype particle colliders, and an Epsilon base nearby is threatening it's safety, thus taking over the base in the process. 

Kill the Messenger

- Most likely info about the prototypes has slipped out, and in an effort to preserve the secret, you are tasked with tracking down and killing the informant/forces. Might have been resulted from the actions taken in Nobody Home.

The Remnant

- Seeing as this is an Origin mission, this is what probably take place right after Death's Hand, Hamartia, and Babel, where the shattered remnants of the Allies and Soviets band together and form the foundations that lead to the Foehn Revolt.

Just to add to this, under the pretext that these are under an "origin story," it might mean that the Foehn Revolt may get their own campaign in the long run, taking place many years after the end of the Mental Omega War. I do want to speak more about this by giving my insight from the Foehn unit descriptions, but I want to see if we are all on the same page about this before I do.

Well, I think your ideas are interesting ones. Also, I think a Foehn campaign is (hopefully) pretty much a given now. So personaly, I'd like to hear about your ideas.

#8 Dawbra

Dawbra
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:22 PM

If fohen are counter for Yuri when usa made time shift with china using paradox spaceship - or they brought them from space.
To make thiere apperiance as the last line of hope, or its Yuri fail like Kane with Tacticus and Scrins after all as they want to invade earth for tiberium there wasn't peace solution and technology excechange for tiberium. 
I dont expect all technology is from volkow and china - maybe one faction but there are 2 more.
And fohen heroes stories that they old and was hidden on earth almost like acient mummies.
Why you dont expect that Killing Messanger is Assasinate Yuri ? As this fucker was Messenger that ra universe was counter part of Kane in Tiberium.

#9 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

Well, after today's little exploring, I know what was the plan for Nobody Home so far. I cannot tell you what it is, but I can tell you that Isaac's guess was the least accurate

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#10 Guest_Chaplain5_*

Guest_Chaplain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

It occured to me a while ago that maybe the reason Foehn seems OP is because their campaign is going to be tough. By Mental Omega standards. :p

#11 Sven Co. Op

Sven Co. Op

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:47 AM

Following up on my previous post, this is just a small summation from what I can see from the various Foehn descriptions (Note that most or all of this may have been covered in another thread that I might not be aware about, so please bear with me).

Getting the obvious out, the Foehn Revolt is simply the remnants of the Allies and Soviets who created highly advanced technology in order to fight Yuri. The gritty part is whom is involved with which. We can already call out China and PF since we've seen the prototypes for the Foehn's basic infantry, transport vehicles, and their very first tank. Here's what I think for the following units as their background and quotes give hints of who's mostly filling in for:

Bison Tank

- I believe that the remnants of the USA make up the bulk of the Bison tank divisions. Most obvious pointer from this is taking from one of unit's quotes "United We Stand." This is a reference from a picture depicting the 13 Colonies back during the Revolutionary War. The picture depicts the 13 Colonies as a snake divided into segments, with each colony representing a segment. Below the picture it reads "Join or Die." Though both quotes are completely different by word, they mean almost the same thing. "United We Stand" and "Join or Die" both represent the need to work together in order to survive the hardships to come. Man this escalated more quickly than I expected.

Any unit with a European (or British) accent in the Foehn Revolt [Jackal Racer, Cyclops, Draco Tank, Pteranodon, Alanqa]

- What I think is that the EU remnants make the majority of the vehicle pilots, drivers, etc. in the Foehn's arsenal. The voices for these units are really a dead giveaway from what I can tell. I would say something about the Knightframe, but it's a little more ambiguous since the voice doesn't have a heavy accent, and the "knight's code" of being heroic, chivalrous, and honorable is something that really isn't just tied down to European origins (kinda expecting someone to point me out for this).

As for the other units, it's a lot more harder to pinpoint, I'm assume a mix-mash of Soviets, USA, and some possible Yuri defectors are the main guys for the rest of the non-drone units.

With that out of the way, I wanted to point out the description of the Nano-Fiber Loom. It talks about a "Conscious Slumber." From what I think, it may mean four things:

1. A mass hibernation (might be using Allied cryo tech for this) of the remnants to ride out the storm that is the aftermath of the Mental Omega War, with a small group of dedicated personnel working on the advanced tech we see the Foehn Revolt using.

2. The "Conscious Slumber" may refer to how most of the free world is no longer in control of their free will, and is now under control Yuri's control. With a vast majority living their lives not thinking for themselves but for Yuri, the event might be hinting that the Mental Omega Device, rather than using brute-force mind control, inhibits free thinking of the many affected and links them to a semi-hivemind, living out their fantasies and desires as the rest of the world withers in the psionic storms that ensue (a probable side effect of the Mental Omega Device).

C. A combination of both 1 and 2.

Potato. Something completely different that the devs will pull off, and that the descriptions are just a means to throw us off from a much bigger picture.

Another thing I want to talk about now is Coronia itself. What I believe, and a whole bunch of others feel too, is that Coronia is a reborn Paradox Engine, housing the very first Tempest Architect to fuel the raging storm that hides it in the skies (still love the Laputa reference). Now we already know that the Foehn Revolt does not utilize Allied chrono tech, but I always wondered why. Then I remembered the backstory that MO gave to Albert Einstein, of how he locked away most means to reproduce chrono technology (aside from transporting/teleporting) and turning the Paradox Engine into a puzzle game with key figures in the MOniverse (Get it? No?....I'm bad at this stuff). From what I recall, Einstein did this to lock away this power that humans were never meant to wield, still hung over of the thought of something even more worse than the Soviet's bid for the world replacing Hitler and the Holocaust (the latter no longer existing, but the former being leading to a more devastating result). With this, I think that Siegfried (you know, the one a lot of us think will survive and co-form the Foehn) finally gets why trying to change the past is not the right option for dealing with Yuri, for it may lead to something far worse, and thus makes it so that they face off Yuri with technology that Yuri has no prior experience dealing with in warfare.

Ok, I think that's enough talking from me. Now I'm ready to see this one get poked at with support, or get ripped a new hole from those who think otherwise. Hit me with your best shot guys.

"I had normal life, till the day our thoughts got clouded in a dark shroud. My home was destroyed, then they found me, or rather, I found them.

#12 Oktavia

Oktavia
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:30 PM

If Foehn are the counter to Yuri, then why are they so shit at detecting stealth?
Checkmate atheists.

#13 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

If Foehn are the counter to Yuri, then why are they so shit at detecting stealth?

Because they didn't see it coming! :shiftee:
and they didn't have time to prepare! get it?... ok... i will walk away now...
ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

#14 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:19 AM

Then Yuri goes all Illidan. 'YOU ARE NOT PREPAAAAARRREED

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#15 The Jovian

The Jovian
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

My take on the Foehn origin missions is as follows:

1) Nobody Home: The Proto-Foehn forces (consisting of what Foehn units we saw in "Noise Severe") led by Yunru attack an Epsilon base in Kashmir while the bulk of their defense forces are busy fighting elsewhere during the events of "Noise Severe". After the mission is complete Siegfried and his Chrono Legion chronoshift in. Siegfried has recognized that the Allies and the Soviets will lose to Epsilon unless they unite but has failed to convince the Allied leaders to seek a temporary alliance with the Soviets and as such has taken matters in his own hands, using his Chrono Legion to convince isolated, leaderless pockets of Allied and Soviet forces (including some Kanegawa Industries scientists still trapped in Japan, explaining how the Jackal Racer got into Foehn hands) to converge on a hidden base in Point Hope, Alaska which will serve as a staging ground for a "revolt should Yuri's epsilon army prevail over the free world." Yunru accepts his proposal and her small army is chronoshifted away (explaining Foehn's access to the units and the nano-technology that created them).

2) Kill the Messenger: One soldier in Bastion base deserts and attempts to make either the Allies and Soviets aware of the Bastion base's location. Not wanting the location of the base to be compromised, the player is tasked with finding and neutralizing him before he can rendezvous with his side's forces as they patrol the area.

During the mission the player is given brief snippets as to what is happening during the events of the final missions of Act 2 maybe in the form of scattered communications that Foehn's advanced cyberkernels can just barely detect. 

The "Conscious Slumber" may refer to how most of the free world is no longer in control of their free will, and is now under control Yuri's control. With a vast majority living their lives not thinking for themselves but for Yuri, the event might be hinting that the Mental Omega Device, rather than using brute-force mind control, inhibits free thinking of the many affected and links them to a semi-hivemind, living out their fantasies and desires as the rest of the world withers in the psionic storms that ensue (a probable side effect of the Mental Omega Device).

As somebody else already pointed out "Babel" the final Epsilon mission's name does not refer to the Babylon tower but the event when God forced everyone to speak a different language and broke man's unity. Maybe the Mental Omega Device gets damaged in the fight (or maybe it was never going to work as intended due to a design flaw) and malfunctions, instead of creating a global human hive mind led by Yuri as a hive queen, the Device instead creates the Conscious Slumber as described by Sven and psionic storms that wipe out most of Epsilon's leadership including Yuri and the Player's Proselyte.

As the player discovers this mess, we finally arrive at:

3) The Remnant: The player is given the task of linking up with the damaged Paradox Engine and survivors from a Soviet naval fleet in the aftermath of Act 2. One of my longstanding theories about the final missions of Act 2 has been that the Paradox Engine will malfunction at the worst possible time and deny the Allies victory as their "Hamartia", their fatal flaw that leads to their downfall, is their over-reliance on the Engine and its temporal manipulation abilities.

As a result the survivors are brought into the fold, temporal manipulation technology is deemed too unreliable for Foehn to continue to use but the Engine's prototype wind manipulation tech that enables it to fly (my explanation for the vortex underneath its in-game model) is still viable to develop and improve upon (hence the Tempest Architect, the Windblades, the Windtraps and the Zorbtrotters). The Engine is repaired and re-christened "Coronia" (I agree with Sven that this is the likeliest origin for the thing) and the Foehn Revolt is finally created to find a way to destroy the Mental Omega Device and succeed where Foehn's predecessors could not and defeat the remaining Epsilon forces that now control most of the planet, leading to the Foehn Campaign.

Edited by The Jovian, 12 June 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#16 Sven Co. Op

Sven Co. Op

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:09 AM

Going about what Jovian gave for his opinion about the Conscious Slumber, we can look towards two quotes from the Pteranodon as follows: "The oppressed shall hear our voice" and "Ignorance has won."

The first quote got my interest since it may imply that:

A. There are pockets of people that are unaffected by the Mental Omega Device, but are outnumbered by people in the area who are (and probably treated off worse)

B. People who are under the influence of the Device, but are mentally aware of it, and really don't like it (and are kept on close watch)

C. A varied combination of both A and B

The second quote may also imply that:

A. There are people who are truly aware that they are under Yuri's influence, but chose to stick with it

B. People who are unaware that they are under the influence, and have inhibited free thinking, thus rendering them unable to tell that the people who are trying to save them are also the ones they are attacking

C. Both A and B

Adding to the quote "Ignorance has won," the very first time I read this quote, I immediately thought of the book "A Canticle for Leibowitz," (https://en.wikipedia...e_for_Leibowitz) a book about a a violent backlash from the populace led to the near destruction of written knowledge, and of the actions several religious figures to preserve it. Note I have never read the book yet (Quora peaked my interest in it so I searched it up), but the brief summary of the background of the book (provided by Wikipedia) just made a good connection to the quote. Instead of knowledge being destroyed, rather it was man's ability to think for themselves was jeopardized, dividing the world into the sheep shepherded by Yuri, those who see through the facade, but can't reject it, those who managed to resist, but are suffering, and those who lived to fight another day. 

And being honest, I truly think that both Yuri and the Player Proselyte will survive the Mental Omega war (remember the foehn teaser trailer on Moddb, where the video description depicts the Epsilon forces asking for the "leader" to direct them) with the following implications:

- The Mental Omega Device reflects something already used by a known and powerful telepath, Professor Xavier's Cerebro. The device itself is just a means for Yuri to greatly amplify his mind control powers to that of a near global scale with the help of active Psychic Amplifiers and Psychic Dominators (the Dominator's description about it making a network of mind control hubs kinda fits in), thus I theorize that Yuri will "enter" the Device in the mission "Babel," thus initiating his life goal in motion, but at the expense of sizable amount of his forces, including the Player Proselyte.

- Or the device is not meant for Yuri to have himself in, but rather Libra as the control catalyst for the device, using her powers to enact the will of Yuri.

- Or the Player Proselyte is used for the device, in effect becoming the new leader of Epsilon (I find this one very unlikely, though it was one on my mind that I decided to put out)

Note this is just part of what I wanted to talk about, but I'm going for lunch at this hour, and don't have access to internet anywhere else at the moment.

#17 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

Once again though : Still no solid clue that Mental Omega Device will appear in Act 2 :v

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#18 The Jovian

The Jovian
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Once again though : Still no solid clue that Mental Omega Device will appear in Act 2 :v

Well aside from of course the description of the Aerial Fortress Irkalla pointing to its purpose being to protect Yuri's secret weapon in Antarctica, the fact that Act 2 appears to remake several plot points from the 2.0 campaign such as the Soviets capturing a psychic amplifier and using it to establish a safe zone for themselves, Moscow being the first city to be attacked by the resurgent Epsilon, Paranoiac is given a straight remake, it is possible that the Mental Omega Device will indeed show up in the end of Act 2.

#19 Tathmesh

Tathmesh

title available

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  Degenerate Haihead Main

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

There's an incredibly strong hint in the final Epsilon mission name "Babel", which might be a reference to the biblical TOWER of Babel.

And the Mental Omega Device is a tower after all.

The story of the tower might be significant as well. Humans built the tower to reach heaven, but God punishes humans by making them speak different languages so they can't complete the construction and scatters them around the world.

#20 Stigma

Stigma
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:34 AM

There's an incredibly strong hint in the final Epsilon mission name "Babel", which might be a reference to the biblical TOWER of Babel.

And the Mental Omega Device is a tower after all.

The story of the tower might be significant as well. Humans built the tower to reach heaven, but God punishes humans by making them speak different languages so they can't complete the construction and scatters them around the world.

so perhaps it isn't about mind controlling the world, but something much more sinister. like collectively obliterating free will so you don't HAVE to mind control everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users