A step by step guide
To start off, the mod will only work on clean installation of RotWK (ie. not Forshire's editions).
Download BFME2 and RotWK from HERE. Installation instructions are included in the link.
Below is the basic installation order:
- Patch BFME2 to patch 1.06
- Patch RotWK to patch 2.01
- Test to make sure RotWK runs
- Install patch 2.02 - make sure to pick Widescreen if that's what you have, and get the new game.dat file as well (BACKUP THE ORIGINAL by moving it out of the RotWK folder first), as it fixes some issues and removes the need for a disc.
- Open the patch 2.02 launcher (found in RotWK's installation folder) and make sure it's enabled.
- Download the Age of the Ring installer and run it. Either use the default path or choose another location. Do NOT install it into the RotWK installation folder.
- Run the Age of the Ring shortcut from your desktop and enjoy the mod.
Now, a lot of people have other patches and mods installed. To ensure patch 2.02 and AotR work with the various setups out there, read below:
- Do you have BFME patch 1.09? Make sure to switch to 1.06.
- Do you have Edain installed? Make sure to disable it from their launcher.
- Do you want to reenable Edain? You will need to switch the 2.02 game.dat out with the original game.dat that you have previously backed up and use the 2.02 switcher to switch back to 2.01. Ensure that in the 2.02 launcher, the Original Lobby Music is enabled and not the other tracks.
- Visit the T3A:Online website's setup guide and read the tutorial (note: it's an image slideshow, so make sure to press next)
- After reading the above and installing the T3A:Online launcher, open it, go to Hook, and hook up RotWK. If the check doesn't appear, make sure you're running it as administrator.
- Open the AotR shortcut. It should now open with the T3A:Online launcher. Press RotWK, and the mod should start. If not, your hooking didn't work, and you need to run as administrator.
- Go into Multiplayer > Online and log in with your T3A:Online credentials. If the game tells you to update, press cancel, exit, and run the shortcut as administrator and in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.
"When launching the mod and clicking Skirmish, the game crashes."
This is related to one of two things: first is Edain CaH. Go into Application Data (type in %appdata% in the Windows search bar) > My The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king Files > Saves and move out or delete all files ending in the .cah suffix. If that wasn't it, go back into My The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king Files and delete Skirmish.ini.
"When launching the mod, I get the following game crash: "ELVEN_SILVERTHORNARROWS_BUILDCOST"."
Disable and enable patch 2.02.
"When launching the mod, I get a game crash related to Upgrade_WildHeavyArmorNew."
Disable and enable patch 2.02.
"When launching the mod, I get a game crash related to MORDOR_WALLHUBS."
You don't have patch 1.09 disabled. Make sure to do so from their switcher.
Edited by Mathijs, 05 August 2017 - 05:24 PM.