A list of possible topics that can be relevant to the mod, depending on your audience and the level of intelligence / knowledge you assume of the audience.
For example, you can skip 80% of the topics here if you assume prior knowledge of RA2.
OP's video is most likely catered to RA2/YR players, as there are numerous references to RA2/YR concepts (e.g. 'Tech Structure') without additional elaboration.
- Installing the Game (+ acquiring the required files from a RA2 / YR disk)
- Installing the separate music pack
- Updating the Game
- How to admit you are newb and need help (and the 101 ways to seek help) ...just show them were the forum is.
- Using the Game Launcher
- Options and Settings (+ setting up a working renderer for smooth gameplay)
- Campaign Selector (select your poison)
- Skirmish Setup, Game Modes and Game Options
- Using the Multiplayer Lobby and setting up a Multiplayer Game ( + and how not to get banned from the lobby)
- Skirmish Sandbox mode
- How to Quit the Launcher (just in case...)
Playing the Game I
This part caters only to the game engine, with minimal reference to actual mod objects.
- Mechanics Overview
- Map -> Terrain, Height, Shroud
- Game Actors -> Mobile units, Base Structures, Factories
- Bases -> Base Normal / Build Range
- Resources -> Use of Resources (concept of $$cost$$), Ore/Gems, Resource Generation Buildings (Oil Derricks), Gear Change meme, Grinder meme, Reprocessor meme
- 'Science' - Tech Tree, Prerequisite system, Build Limit system
- Controls (you are not a true RA2 fan if you do not know at least 90% of this )
- Main Command Interface -> Screen, Cursor, Map Scrolling (3 ways: mouse at edge, Up-Down-Left-Right, RH), interacting with objects on the screen
- Other Command Interfaces -> Radar screen, Sidebar, Bottom Bar, Options Menu (how to quit the game)
- Basic Object Control I -> Unit Selection, Unit UI (health bar, tooltips), Mouseclick-only commands (Move, Attack, Enter)
- Basic Object Control II -> Group Selection (Rectangle select), Keyboard selection hotkeys (M - Back, N - Next, T - Same Type, P - Everyone)
- Basic Object Control III -> Mouseclick + Keyboard commands (Force Attack (Ctrl-LH), Force Move (Alt-LH), Guard Mode (G), Patrol/Attack-Move (Ctrl-Shift-LH), Waypoint Mode (Z), Deploy (D), Scatter (X), Force Stop (S), Repair (K), Sell (L)
- Basic Production Control I -> Concept of Factories (e.g. ConYard), Structure production and placement, Unit production and placement, Cancelling production, different production Tabs
- Basic Production Control II -> Factory waypoints. Building Queues, Building Upgrades, Tab hotkeys (Q, W, E, R), Repair (K), Sell (L)
- Advanced Object Control I -> Add to Selection (Shift-LH / Shift-Rectangle select), Teams (1 - select team, Ctrl-1 - create team, Shift-1 - add team to selection)
- Main Command Interface II -> Camera shortcuts (Ctrl-F1/F2/F3/F4 - create camera, F1/F2/F3/F4 - get to camera, H - Home base camera. Space - Event camera), Alliance Menu
- Information Meta
- Minimap Radar Screen
- Radar Events
- Notification Text (top left)
- Mission / Support Power Timers (bottom right)
- Map Shroud and Reveal
- Multiplayer: Beacons
- The Website, the Forum, and the Twitter from which Speeder trolls the world.
Playing the Game II
Here, the meta starts flowing in.
- Actors -> Units and Structures
- Accessible Information -> Revealed terrain, Stealth / Subterranean / Sub detection, Prior Map knowledge, Your Ally / Enemy's chats
- Resources -> Ore, Gems, Tech Oil Derricks, Cash-related memes
- Production -> Types of production (Base, Armory, Infantry, Units, Aircraft Units, Naval Units)
- Technology -> The ability to kill Chitzkoi and rebuild him, every time.
- Time -> Build Time, Deployment delay (support powers / superweapons), Travel time
- Human factor -> Actions per minute (*insert hotkey meme*), Response time (*insert retarded meme*), Multitasking ability (*insert single core human CPU meme*)
- Meta-management -> Knowing the hard counters, AI / Human opponent playstyles, opponent psychology, *insert almost mental real-time strategy here*
- Macro-management -> Build Order, Structure Placement Choices, Unit Teams, 'Formations' *insert frontline artillery / rear guard Eureka / Morales meme*
- Micro-management -> The (((fun))) stuff. And the (((frustrating))) stuff.
- Meme-management -> Game offers several ways to troll the opponent in small ways (Pillbox behind tree meme, Terror Drone behind tree meme, Zephyr vs high ground meme, Yunru the original MADMAN meme..., distraction meme). Serves to multiply your enjoyment and your salt. Now you are really playing the game.
- Life-management -> How to be a good sport.
- Introducing the Units and Structures
- Expect many changes in this department because changelogs are endless.
Beyond this, and it is probably not a tutorial anymore.
Edited by lovalmidas, 15 September 2017 - 08:00 AM.