German translation of Mental Omega?

german translation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chaplain5_*

Guest_Chaplain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Is there any interest in producing a German translation of Mental Omega?

#2 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

Yunru Kanegawa. Go figure. Go mental.

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega Almost Perfect Yunru's Revenge Version 3.0
  •  Why am I not in the Centurion?

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

If someone is interested to picking up that slack, there is always a chance.

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:
fbbutton.png ytbutton.png mdbutton.png dsbutton.png
IRC: #menthosogma (Rizon)

#3 Guest_Chaplain5_*

Guest_Chaplain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

Hmm...

See, I've had a few years of experience with German and I'm still studying it. I'm not a native, mind, so no absolute guarantees as to the accuracy of my work, but I seem to do pretty well with written German and I've never gotten lower than an A- (once) in German classes.

#4 Damfoos

Damfoos

When world domination haven't cured the emptiness inside

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Projects:Translation of various cool C&C mods.
  •  Mental Omega Russian Translator

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

Well, noone asked me to make a Russian one, I've just made it because I wanted to see MO in my own language. Then it became a regular thing, some people wait for it now and it feels satisfying to see your work is useful. So if you want to try it out, go ahead and make one, maybe you'll find it interesting and there will be other people who will use it. I have to warn you however: the amount of text is HUGE, and you won't translate it quickly, so be patient. Also, use a proper stringtable editor instead of that XCC crap, it allows you to import new strings into already translated files and has plenty of other options. Here's the link:

http://www.redsys.su...pe=post&id=6461

Edited by Damfoos, 25 September 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#5 Guest_Chaplain5_*

Guest_Chaplain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:01 AM

Well now, I don't even have access to the MO source files. How do I edit the right files and prepare them for other people's use?

Thanks for the tool BTW. :)

Edited by Chaplain5, 26 September 2017 - 12:01 AM.

#6 Guest_Chaplain5_*

Guest_Chaplain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:01 AM

I mean the files are locked up, right?

#7 Damfoos

Damfoos

When world domination haven't cured the emptiness inside

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Projects:Translation of various cool C&C mods.
  •  Mental Omega Russian Translator

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

They are, but there's a way to access them. You need 3 .csf files: ra2md.csf, stringtable00.csf and stringtable01.csf. You translate the latter 2 and replace ra2md.csf with an already translated one of a German version. You also need to borrow game.fnt from a German version for letters to display properly (or maybe they already do by default, I don't know). Main menu of the launcher uses bitmaps, so you can translate the text on them as well. Resources folder has a file responsible for campaign menu text, and INI/Battleclient.INI contains mission descriptions and names you see in that menu.

After these files are translated, you pack the .csf, .fnt and .pcx (if you translated cameos) files into a new .mix archive named expandmo98.mix or simply leave them in the mod's folder (but that's messy if cameos are included too), while all client-related files replace their original versions. That should be it.
You can also download the Russian translation to see what files it changes.

The .csf files are located in expandmo97.mix, while the cameos are split between this one and either expandmo96.mix or expandmo95.mix. Obtaining all these files is your test for dedication and ability to find information :p

Edited by Damfoos, 26 September 2017 - 01:01 PM.

#8 Jyrai

Jyrai
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

I'm a german, native speaker and everything. However I have not the slightest clue about programming or actual modding.

But if you need a proofreader, ask.^^

#9 Guest_Chaplain5_*

Guest_Chaplain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:33 AM

Okay, wow, that's a bit much to take in. But thanks. What's the name of the file that holds campaign menu text? And where do I get a German version of RA2? It's not included on the Origin version of RA2, is it?

#10 Jyrai

Jyrai
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

I looked it up. When you install a game on origin for the very first time, it asks you which language you want. Other than that, I've read that it's tied to the language of the origin client, so changing the origin client to german and then reinstall might help.

Edited by Jyrai, 27 September 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#11 Guest_Chaplain5_*

Guest_Chaplain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

so, I'd change my Origin language to German, install RA2 in German, get the file I need, change Origin back to English and reinstall in English.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users