Hello there fellow battle brothers and sisters. If you are an aspiring modeller like me,who wishes to create their own assets for DOW,but you do not know from where to start,then you have come to the right place.
The good old RelicNews forums used to house many adequate and excellent guides on how to set up and operate 3D MAX 2007/2008.
Unfortunately,thanks to its premature shut down by Relic,this knowledge is considered lost by many. I am on a quest to uncover them and post them anew here,on Revora.
Setting all up.
Setting up 3D MAX can be quite a chore. So I hope this tutorial I have uncovered can help you as much as has me.(Credit goes to the original poster,a63nt)
Note: The problem with .WHM extraction is resolved (for the most situations) in the comments,just scroll down a bit and you will find it easily.
Links for DOW MOD tools(Many thanks to battle brother Norwegian_Loki for finding me these operational versions of the tools):
Official Santos Tools 0.4 link:
UPDATED MAX EXPORTER FOR BOTH 3DS MAX 9 AND 2008:
This one I guarantee works with both MAX 9 and 2008 flawlessly. Installation is the same as with the previous ones.Simply copy-paste the contents of autodesk\max 9 - 3ds Max 2008 and Santos Tools 0.4 to where you have installed MAX 2008(e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008) and you are all set!!! It even has support for Soulstorm Sisters and Dark Eldar units.
- The Exporters that come with the modb mod tools package work only with MAX 7 and 8. If you have either MAX 9 or 2008 however,you should use the one I have uploaded.The rest of the mod tools (OE,AE,etc) work as intended. Personally,I highly recommend using 3DS MAX 2008 if possible as it is the most reliable,light-weight on system resources and user friendly of all. (
Furthermore,it's cracked version is much more readily available but you didn't hear that from me.Also,it is the one I currently use and recommend.)
- Depending on some Windows 10 OS,following Microsoft discontinuing ActiveX support,you might encounter some problems with DOW Properties Manager (Found in: Customize->Customize User Interface->Toolbars) and the Plugins in general.Depending on your System,you may need to re-activate ActiveX controls. Either by enabling them in Internet Explorer(SEE HERE.) or in Registry (SEE HERE.) Always test MAX and plugins to make sure they work before doing anything!!!
- Despite the exporter having support for Soulstorm units,you still need to use Dawn of War - Dark Crusade as the Dawn of War directory when requested or else you will face errors. The exported models' forward compatibility however is assured.
TO DO LIST :
- Organise better the current thread. Possibly write the tutorial myself,fully fledged,adding the comment parts.
- Add more tutorials as I learn the secrets of MAX/as I find more.
If anyone of you battle-brothers(or battle-sisters) has uncovered any other MAX tutorial,please inform me and I will upload it here ASAP. It goes without saying that you shall be credited properly.
I hope this has been of some help to you.
Edited by Kekoulis, 09 January 2018 - 08:03 PM.