Photo

Countdown timer in campaign missions is too fast.

countdown timer too fast

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Twiggy12

Twiggy12
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

In some campaigns, for example Beautiful Mind, at a certain time a countdown timer starts. This runs too fast for me. In real time 1 second, the game strikes almost three seconds so this makes it very hard to accomplish the objectives.

Does anyone recognize this?

Running Mental Omega on Macbook 2011 on Bootcamp, Windows 7 64 bit.

#2 UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR

UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR

title available

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Its fast no matter what pc you run it on. Vanilla ra2 and yr was fast aswell.

#3 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, this was always the case.

#4 GoodGame1324

GoodGame1324
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:54 AM

The timer in your game depends on the game speed in the setting, not in real life time. In campaign, the game speed is usually 4, hence the timer would be adjusted according to the game speed so it stays in proportion with the unit speeds. Otherwise, if timers were always in real life time, you would get more time technically if you played at a higher game speed as your units would move quickly, but the timer still is the same

#5 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:20 AM

The ingame speed is usually much faster than real time. The setting is actually a Framerate cap

I think the one that follows real time second is gamespeed 3 or 2, but the campaign is locked on GS 4 (30 fps). GS5 is double that speed (60 fps). GS6 throws the limit out of the window and can reach up to 300 fps.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#6 Wayward Winds

Wayward Winds
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

Having gone and poked around in game...

Gamespeed/framerate cap settings go from 1 (marked "slowest") to 7 ("fastest").  Gamespeed 4 is marked "normal", and is where the timer will actually match up to real life.  The campaign is (supposed to be) locked to gamespeed 5 ("fast"); that was put in place by Westwood, so it's the same for vanilla RA2/YR as well.

The gamespeed slider is only accessible in skirmish/multiplayer.  There are ways to unlock it for campaign, but that's one steaming hot kettle of fish I'm not poking my toes into again.

One thing that I've been wondering about though; if Westwood always intended the game to be played on "fast", then why didn't they make the in game timer match real life on that setting as opposed to on "normal"?  All it does is make people panic when/if they realise they haven't budgeted their time correctly because the mismatched timer is throwing them off.

#7 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

The fastest speed is 6, and I smell lazy coding involved in the timer

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#8 Wayward Winds

Wayward Winds
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

The fastest speed is 6, and I smell lazy coding involved in the timer

So just checking here; there are definitely seven points on that slider: slowest, slower, slow, normal, fast, faster, fastest.  Are you saying there's actually no difference between the top two settings?

(I'm not being confrontational here, I'm legitimately curious.  If it is a case of two settings being effectively the same, then yeesh, Westwood really did have a lazy coding day.)

#9 Oktavia

Oktavia
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:49 AM

The speed 6 is uncapped, which you won't notice if you cap your fps externally at 60 fps.

#10 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

Slowest is probably GS0 then, if such thing exists.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#11 AlexB

AlexB
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Projects:Ares, Arda, ...
  •  Your ad here!

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:18 PM

Trivia time!
Internally the game speeds are 6 to 0, with 6 being the slowest. The fps are calculated by the remarkably simple formula "60 / GameSpeed", with the fastest GameSpeeds 0 and 1 handled manually: They mean 1 = 60fps and 0 = unlimited for singleplay, and 1 = 45fps and 0 = 60fps in multiplay respectively.
The normal game speed is 4, thus a game second is 15 frames or ticks or whatever you would call them.
All ingame timers are based on this, thus, if you use a faster setting, the clock will run faster, too. But units also move and reload faster proportionally, so it's still fair.

On the other hand, if you complete a mission, the timer at the end measures play time in real seconds, thus you can actually get sub par with faster game speeds, while you are penalized for using the slower game speeds.

#12 Starkku

Starkku

Putting the Pro' in 'Procrastination'

• Hosted
  • 434 posts
  • Projects:Project Phantom
  •  Developer of Project Phantom mod for C&C: Yuri's Revenge.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

The normal game speed is 4, thus a game second is 15 frames or ticks or whatever you would call them.

And since the two are interchangeable using the ratio mentioned, this means that at constant 15 FPS, the game seconds are equal to real ones.

Internal game speed is locked to value of 2 for singleplayer missions when not using the command-line argument to unlock the speed slider in options. This sets the FPS cap for missions to 30, which matches the 'Fast' setting in MP/Skirmish.

Edited by Starkku, 12 January 2018 - 11:23 AM.

eWPQbKY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users