Photo

Does Anyone Want To Make A Single Player Tutorial For Final Alert 2?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 isaac103

isaac103

title available

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:46 AM

For those who are new to map-making and wanting to create single player missions, is it possible to make a basic tutorial so newcomers will know how to properly make single player maps without screwing up?

#2 Terminal Velocity

Terminal Velocity

title available

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

If nobody is working on it atm, maybe I'll try to do it. Would be good to know what exactly causes problems for newcomers.

MO2.0 Ares Port (Beta):

https://drive.google...BIYEYXz7u8KCAMr

My maps:

#3 StolenTech

StolenTech

title available

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

things I believe are essential to cover first : 
1- reviewing all of the tools you get access to and how to use them (painting the map, placing buildings, changing map properties, expanding an already existing map, lower/raise entire map, lighting settings....etc).
2- planning a map layout : which is determined in RA2 by water and cliffs mostly, and how to use those those two properly, because AI HATES choke points and pathfinding is really sensitive and WILL cause lag issues if not handled properly.
3- how to use advanced tools that are specific for missions/co-ops/challenges like trigger, scripts, teams and taskforces, local variables, INI editing and so on.
4- stringtable editors and how to properly use them and add them into the mission (should also show that strings have a limit that shouldn't be crossed and what happens if you do).
5- other mission features like loading screens and how to make them, par time and such.

Edited by StolenTech, 07 April 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#4 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Weren't there tutorials like that in the past? Because I know that back in the day, like 10 years ago, I did learn how to make campaign levels for RA2, using all the features mentioned above. There must have been a tutorial I used.

#5 SPCell

SPCell
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

Would be very neat if somebody makes missions about for example Chinese invasion of Japan, war in Korea and other things which were left unshown in actual campaign and Speeder includes them as covert ops in next update.

#6 isaac103

isaac103

title available

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:33 PM

Weren't there tutorials like that in the past? Because I know that back in the day, like 10 years ago, I did learn how to make campaign levels for RA2, using all the features mentioned above. There must have been a tutorial I used.

I know most of the tutorials were on ppmforums.com but finding the RIGHT one is proving to be a challenge at best.

#7 mrvecz

mrvecz
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

I would like to have something like that too

So i got two questions too

1) I always wondered, how do i turn symmetry on ? I see that majority of the maps are symetrical with 100% accuracy.  (Is it something with the copy/paste tool ?

2) Map specific units, i heard that it has to do something with editing the map as text file, so if i would try to make a challenge with radiation theme i wouldn't have to edit the mix files to add such units (as simple as Quinins having passive irradiation around them). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users